PDA

View Full Version : starting fiberglassing for 3-way...where to aim?

thadman
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Im *finally* starting on my 3-way front stage this week and have yet to decide on final locations for all the speakers.

I've got:
BG Neo3 Planar Tweeters (have yet to decide - 20khz)

Usher 9845 Midranges (350/500 - have yet to decide) (kinda big, without the backcup and faceplate its 4.5" across and about 1.5" deep)

Peerless XLS 8" midbass (going IB in the doors for sure) (50-350/500hz)

A Pillars arent an option (airbags), kickpanels are an option and so are sailpanels (may be a little difficult to get the mids up there, but if it will pose a serious advantage ill highly consider it), I'd like to keep it as stock as possible

Any opinions?

Oh and there will be an 18 going IB in the trunk

FoxPro5
09-17-2006, 11:44 PM
The Ushers will play better off axis than on axis IME. It's really not about aiming as it is location. They are pretty flat allowing for nice stealthy integration. I vote kicks as far forward as you can get them. As with anything, don't secure them to a spot until you've done some trial and error.

alphakenny1
09-17-2006, 11:51 PM
yea domes have great off axis response in general. but experiment with some locations before finalizing. i listened to my midranges and tweets for about 3 weeks before i started fiberglassing.

thadman
09-18-2006, 08:41 PM
what about aiming for the tweeters?

alphakenny1
09-18-2006, 09:20 PM

but experiment with some locations before finalizing

;).

lol i'd personally try the kicks and then if that doesn't work for you do the a-pillars.

FoxPro5
09-18-2006, 09:26 PM

Check on DIYMA. More guys there with experience aiming the BG's. I have seen install pics with them in a variety of locations though....doors, sails, pillars, kicks. Won't know till you try I guess.

As far as the dome mid response is concerned, I thought this was a great response by Scott to the 'dome vs cone' debate on the BHI forum:

Membrane (dome) speakers lack output capability versus size when compared to cone speakers, and also fundamentally lack bass extension. And because of their large radiating area, have poor dispersion of energy throughout the listening area, especially at high frequencies. The dipolar radiation pattern puts unnatural out-of-phase energy into the car environ, making their placement extremely critical (making also imaging performance quite variable). Cone speakers, on the other hand, generally offer a wide area radiation and the absence of out-of-phase energy, and provide a point source radiation pattern with good dispersion of sound over a wide area, great dynamic capability, good bass capability, and a lack of rearward out-of-phase energy.

http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1371&highlight=dome

FoxPro5
09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Check on DIYMA. More guys there with experience aiming the BG's. I have seen install pics with them in a variety of locations though....doors, sails, pillars, kicks. Won't know till you try I guess.

As far as the dome mid response is concerned, I thought this was a great response by Scott to the 'dome vs cone' debate on the BHI forum:

Membrane (dome) speakers lack output capability versus size when compared to cone speakers, and also fundamentally lack bass extension. And because of their large radiating area, have poor dispersion of energy throughout the listening area, especially at high frequencies. The dipolar radiation pattern puts unnatural out-of-phase energy into the car environ, making their placement extremely critical (making also imaging performance quite variable). Cone speakers, on the other hand, generally offer a wide area radiation and the absence of out-of-phase energy, and provide a point source radiation pattern with good dispersion of sound over a wide area, great dynamic capability, good bass capability, and a lack of rearward out-of-phase energy.

http://www.buwaldahybrids.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1371&highlight=dome

pwnt by pat
09-18-2006, 09:42 PM
That's a place to start.... but you'll need listenign tests before you "finalize" anything.

As for the BG's, They need to be mounted on the horizontal level completely straight up and down, as well as pretty darn straight at your face. Due to the nature of ribbons, if you don't get them aimed straight at your face, you'll lose a lot of output and features that make them nice.