PDA

View Full Version : Focal 165A or 165V2 compare to?

ksauers
09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
What Rainbow or Boston would these 2 compare to? Ive been looking at these 2 ,primarily the 165A for the front of a 2000 f250 supercab. I've heard some Bostons and the Focals. I like good SQ clean sound for rock or alt country. Must be a smooth tweeter,can't stand harsh tweeters. I'm trying to get a feel for what the Rainbows sound like . I've got abpout 250 to 300 to spend.

superdooperman
09-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Although it really depends on your definition of a "harsh" tweeter, IMO the Boston tweeters do have a "tinnier" sound and can be difficult to listen to for longer periods of time. Some people enjoy a crisp stong tweeter, and it does its job well, its just not for me.

Although im not familliar with any of the focal stuff, I know that my Rainbow SLC's silk tweeter is a really laid back smoother sound. From what I hear it is the same with most of the Rainbow line, unless you switch to the metal domed tweeters.

Bostons would most likely be out of your price range eitherway (Pros retail at about 600, Z's 1000$) and I know the Focals can be pricey as well. In that price range, I would recommend the Rainbow SLC.

You can only get soo much from someone telling you about a speaker and the way it sounds, not to mention the bias EVERYONE has. The only true way to get a "feel" for a speaker is by hearing them in a well installed vehicle.

camry_tuner
09-17-2006, 03:27 AM
focal tweets get harsh... i have a set of 165v2s and im running rainbow tweets instead of the focal tweets...