PDA

View Full Version : plexi-glass ?

hatemonger
09-14-2006, 02:09 AM
i built a sealed box, downfired for 2 alpine type r's with the back side plexi (top side i guess, since it faces down. would it be possible to mount the speakers on the plexi-glass panel? the box i built was my first and it sounds really good (got lucky) but it only looks ok. i want to do another, only mount the speakers on the plexi-glass pannel and build a separate box for each one facing sideways in the extended cab of my s-10. sound is primary of course over looks but both is better.
any opinions on placement is welcome also as downfiring seems to hit very hard. nothing to judge it by though. first full system i've done on my own. car toys did my last one, which ******. didn't have 10 grand to spend.

Cam
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Depends how thick the plexi is, and how careful you are about supporting the speakers. I'd try to avoid it unless you know what you're getting into.

ultimate157
09-14-2006, 07:21 PM
I'd personally stick with the Plexi being able to see the baskets. that'd be sick looking. Its not gonna be easy to mount the subs into the plexi. Plastic will strip easily. It's not that strong either, especially with 2 holes cut out of them. plus the weight of the subs.

hatemonger
09-14-2006, 07:40 PM
the way it sits now is a one chamber box,downfired. it does look good with the plexi looking at the baskets, but i want to put each in its own box and put one on either side of the extended cab facing each other. sounds like a bad idea to mount the subs in the plexi, so i won't. how much of a difference is there from downfiring to firing forward or sideways? sound wise.

ultimate157
09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
the way it sits now is a one chamber box,downfired. it does look good with the plexi looking at the baskets, but i want to put each in its own box and put one on either side of the extended cab facing each other. sounds like a bad idea to mount the subs in the plexi, so i won't. how much of a difference is there from downfiring to firing forward or sideways? sound wise.

Only one way to find out my friend ;)

All vehicles will sound different depending on how they are setup. As they say, it's all in the install. I found with my Cherokee that firing the subs towards the rear hatch sounds best and has most output, however its not always true with other types of vehicles.

hatemonger
09-14-2006, 07:59 PM
was afraid of that. the box i have has legs on it which prevents me from facing it forward or rear. i can face it to the side and up though. i didn't like up in my sonoma though and the s-10 cab is almost identical, so sideways sounds like a possible. facing them sideways in the box they are in is pointless though since the new way will be separate boxes facing each other. looks like i have no choice but some gad**** trial and error. lazy people hate that.:furious: thanks guys.

ultimate157
09-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I dunno if I would have them facing directly at eachother. Might lead to cancelation.

hatemonger
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
cancellation? so sound waves would/could literally hit each other in the center and stop moving? that just makes too much friggin' sense for me to comprehend. lol. sounds like i'll stick with downfiring and just make separate boxes for each instead of one. thank you. you probably saved me alot of time and headache as i was going to face them toward each other and the angles that i had blueprinted on paper would have prevented modifying to face down. thanks much.