PDA

View Full Version : hd-dvd blue ray owners

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
what do you own? ive owned a blue ray player returned it and got an hd-dvd player and im way more impressed with it.

btnhfan
09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
I say HD.

This whole messed up ps3 thing isnt helping Blu Ray

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I say HD.

This whole messed up ps3 thing isnt helping Blu Ray

and right now theirs more titles out for hd and they have better picture quality
better product support wiht updates often for the toshiba

and say you go to blockbuser theirs only like 40 movies in blue ray you can rent while theirs 80 something for hd.

ps3 total their gonna ship at launch is 500,000 world wide

400,000 in hte us 100,000 in japan and non in europe

and numbers are expected to drop

xbox will have an add on hd-dvd player coming in november

toshiba is allready gonna release a 2gn hd-dvd player

ill tel you this my hd-dvd player has way better picture quality then my cable company

i bought serenity and atl. both have amazing picture quality

yesterday serenity was on hdo-hd and the difference was almost like from non hd (hbo) to hd (hd-dvd)

springy101
09-13-2006, 05:39 PM
:fyi: blue-ray has way more space, and it still really pisses me off that the xbox 360 doesnt come with a hd-dvd player standard

photocrazy8
09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
blue ray will be a thing of the past soon. HD DVD's will soon hold more than a blue ray ever could and will be awesome quality :)

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 05:51 PM
:fyi: blue-ray has way more space, and it still really pisses me off that the xbox 360 doesnt come with a hd-dvd player standard

they say that but that has yet to happen. and theirs allready a three layer hd-dvd disc coming out with 45 gigs of storage or something like that while blue ray is still stuck at 25 gigs.

StealthKill
09-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Dual layer blu-ray holds 50 gigs.

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Dual layer blu-ray holds 50 gigs.
isnt in production yet. last i checked.

and renember beta (another sony thing) lost to vhs and beta was superior

youve got to look at everything

do we need 50 gigs? or more to watch a movie? with the compression software out their
wich one has more titles out
wich one has more support
wich one is more affordable
wich one is more reliable

90accordman
09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
I have both, just prefer Blue Ray because of the storage capabilities. clarity is about the same for both

90accordman
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
isnt in production yet. last i checked.

and renember beta (another sony thing) lost to vhs and beta was superior

youve got to look at everything

do we need 50 gigs? or more to watch a movie? with the compression software out their , if thats the case why get HD or Blue Ray? Compression depreciates quality
wich one has more titles out who cares atm, its new of course theres not much outwich one has more support neither movies companys and other companys are pretty well split between the 2
wich one is more affordable depends on what you thoughts on affordable is, as with everything the price will drop
wich one is more reliable thats yet to be determined

:crying:

InhumanAcura
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
i bought and returned an hd-dvd player, just to try it out..thought it was on par with hd cable..waiting on the ps3 to try the blue ray stuff.

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 08:27 PM
i bought and returned an hd-dvd player, just to try it out..thought it was on par with hd cable..waiting on the ps3 to try the blue ray stuff.

probably depends on tv screen size and type of tv

my sony xbr or whatever it is ***** *** with sd signals and with sd-dvds or maybe i just can notice any little difference lol

but to me it goes like this

hd-dvd>blu ray>hdnet is almost up to par wtih blue ray>sd dvd>and just regular cable

i got the 60" sony xbr1

i wish it was the 70" xbr2 :(

ps toshiba is the only one who can play truhd or wahtever is not the samsungblu ray

Megalomaniac
09-13-2006, 08:31 PM
blue ray i think will come out on top. the blue laser is more precise and can put more information on a disc rather than using a "red" spectrum.. maybe the price of it will go down when they(companies) will commercialize it more.

only downside on both will be the smallest scratch on the disc will screw you over for eternity, so maybe they will do a mindisc type casing

90accordman
09-13-2006, 08:35 PM
blue ray i think will come out on top. the blue laser is more precise and can put more information on a disc rather than using a "red" spectrum.. maybe the price of it will go down when they(companies) will commercialize it more.

only downside on both will be the smallest scratch on the disc will screw you over for eternity, so maybe they will do a mindisc type casing

dont see the minidisc cas thing happening with units already on the market that load like car CD players

Megalomaniac
09-13-2006, 08:38 PM
dont see the minidisc cas thing happening with units already on the market that load like car CD players

then be careful with the discs, unless they have a coating on it to prevent it?

ndnbolla
09-13-2006, 09:29 PM
probably depends on tv screen size and type of tv

my sony xbr or whatever it is ***** *** with sd signals and with sd-dvds or maybe i just can notice any little difference lol

but to me it goes like this

hd-dvd>blu ray>hdnet is almost up to par wtih blue ray>sd dvd>and just regular cable

i got the 60" sony xbr1

i wish it was the 70" xbr2 :(

ps toshiba is the only one who can play truhd or wahtever is not the samsungblu ray

I have an Sony 60" XBR1 too and I'm loving it. You say SD quality ***** but you have to remember that SD quality get worser as size goes up and you probably wouldn't have gained anything with the 70" XBR2 except for size as their haven't been too many major impovements technology wise. Maybe you should have waited for Toshiba's SED models coming but thats a different story.

Now onto HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray FTW. But honestly it doesn't matter to me. This competition will be great in bringing prices down faster and getting Hi-Def movies playing on my 60" XBR1 quicker.

I only say Blu-Ray because they have the overall better technology, more support from hardware vendors, and more importantly, more support from the studios.

Also, Blu-Ray has this coating (developed by TDK) where it's nearly impossible to scratch in normal usage.

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
I have an Sony 60" XBR1 too and I'm loving it. You say SD quality ***** but you have to remember that SD quality get worser as size goes up and you probably wouldn't have gained anything with the 70" XBR2 except for size as their haven't been too many major impovements technology wise. Maybe you should have waited for Toshiba's SED models coming but thats a different story.

Now onto HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray FTW. But honestly it doesn't matter to me. This competition will be great in bringing prices down faster and getting Hi-Def movies playing on my 60" XBR1 quicker.

I only say Blu-Ray because they have the overall better technology, more support from hardware vendors, and more importantly, more support from the studios.

Also, Blu-Ray has this coating (developed by TDK) where it's nearly impossible to scratch in normal usage.

the coating does is not yet in production i should know little scratches ruined 2 of my blue ray discs :crap: and im sure at the end for that high tech coating were gonna pay for it and wiht new releases allready costing 39 each i can see the coating making them go up to 45-50 a disc

my son got a hold of on my hd-dvds today and was throwin it around like a freez b and i just did a quick wipe iwht my shirt and just finished watching the whole dvd wihttou a clitch

addisdar
09-13-2006, 10:38 PM

Well, 2 months ago I would have agreed. But since both have become available, HD-DVD has already proven to be superior in picture quality. Reason is the codec they are both using. HD-DVD is using VC-1, but for some reason, even though blu-ray supports VC-1, they are still using MPEG2 compression. End result is blu-ray ends up with an inferior picture.

Secondly, Sony lost their biggest supporter this month, Pioneer. Pioneer said that they were blu-ray only, but after seeing Sony's financial report and the sales of blu-ray vs HD-DVD, they opted to also join the HD-DVD front. Their new player will be out very soon.

Third is the Sony investors. They are calling for Sony to drop the format, and go back to being the "fun" Sony. Some major players have threatened to pull out completely. Sony has not pulled a profit in 6 years.

Fourth, Sony has never won a format war. You have Beta, MiniDisc, SACD, UMD, Atrax3, MemoryStick. This list continues, all that is shown by Sony is failure in these regards. With blu-ray, it is already following the same patterns as the previous attempts.

If you want more background information, check out the latest Wired magazine. It goes into more depth about everything. Problem is, Sony has bet the farm. If blu-ray fails, then Sony goes under.

Mugen
09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Not only are the LATEST Blu-ray releases on par with HD-DVD quality wise (even though they still use MPEG-2), but VC-1 Blu-ray movies are expected pretty soon. And to those who say that Blu-ray is better because the blue laser is more precise, HD-DVD uses a blue laser as well (which is why they are holding back on releasing some of the newer models because a lack of lasers).

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 11:01 PM
let me add do any of you voting actually own an hdtv? alot of you might be voting cause of hype like hd-dvd or like blue ray cause of hte ps3

addisdar
09-13-2006, 11:04 PM
let me add do any of you voting actually own an hdtv? alot of you might be voting cause of hype like hd-dvd or like blue ray cause of hte ps3

I have 2.

One in the living room, then my wife made me buy a second for the bedroom. I didn't complain. :D

addisdar
09-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Not only are the LATEST Blu-ray releases on par with HD-DVD quality wise (even though they still use MPEG-2), but VC-1 Blu-ray movies are expected pretty soon. And to those who say that Blu-ray is better because the blue laser is more precise, HD-DVD uses a blue laser as well (which is why they are holding back on releasing some of the newer models because a lack of lasers).

Not according to the reviews. They still have quality issues, but they did improve from the 1st run.

Honestly, I don't have much hope for Sony, they have screwed the customer over one too many times and it has shown. Sales of everything else besides the Playstation have been stagnant for quite some time. Those of us who are debating now will make no difference in the format war. What will matter is price of the units and name recognition of the format. HD-DVD has both. Much cheaper players and the average consumer know immediatly what HD-DVD really is, while they just wonder what the hell blu-ray is. The name was a bad idea, but that is Sony marketing for you. Not as bad as Xplod on their car audio line though. ;)

JimJ
09-13-2006, 11:18 PM
I miss SACD :( *sniffle*

addisdar
09-13-2006, 11:27 PM
I miss SACD :( *sniffle*

It was real nice wasn't it!!!

Mugen
09-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Not according to the reviews. They still have quality issues, but they did improve from the 1st run.

Honestly, I don't have much hope for Sony, they have screwed the customer over one too many times and it has shown. Sales of everything else besides the Playstation have been stagnant for quite some time. Those of us who are debating now will make no difference in the format war. What will matter is price of the units and name recognition of the format. HD-DVD has both. Much cheaper players and the average consumer know immediatly what HD-DVD really is, while they just wonder what the hell blu-ray is. The name was a bad idea, but that is Sony marketing for you. Not as bad as Xplod on their car audio line though. ;)

HD-DVD has both right now. The cheaper Blu-ray players are expected some time before the holidays this year, don't know if those dates got pushed back though. As far as the quality, I've read quite a few people claiming Tears of the Sun to be the best HD movie available right now (well, it's to be released soon I believe). Sure, it got off to a rough start, but it should pick up quick, especially with the help of the PS3. I mean, Sony will put 400,000 (although this should be at least a million) Blu-ray players in American homes in November, with expected 1 million mark by the end of the year. How many units has HD-DVD sold?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722970
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=722158

Also, Sony is doing a lot better marketing Blu-ray than HD-DVD, I've seen Blu-ray adds all over the place (especially on commercials, now available on DVD and Blu-ray), but I've seen relatively few HD-DVD ads, because they are thinking the name alone will carry it, I guess.

Basically, it's going to come down to one thing that just makes the masses flock to one or the other. Something spectacular is going to come out on one of them out of the blue, and it's going to snowball from there, because currently, most people won't see a bit of difference in HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

JimJ
09-13-2006, 11:50 PM
I always thought multichannel for music was gimmicky, but the quality of what little releases there were was pretty good. It was a good middle ground with the convienence of CD's with a little tradeoff in SQ from vinyl.

1loudsuv
09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
HD-DVD has both right now. The cheaper Blu-ray players are expected some time before the holidays this year, don't know if those dates got pushed back though. As far as the quality, I've read quite a few people claiming Tears of the Sun to be the best HD movie available right now (well, it's to be released soon I believe). Sure, it got off to a rough start, but it should pick up quick, especially with the help of the PS3. I mean, Sony will put 400,000 (although this should be at least a million) Blu-ray players in American homes in November, with expected 1 million mark by the end of the year. How many units has HD-DVD sold?

Also, Sony is doing a lot better marketing Blu-ray than HD-DVD, I've seen Blu-ray adds all over the place (especially on commercials, now available on DVD and Blu-ray), but I've seen relatively few HD-DVD ads, because they are thinking the name alone will carry it, I guess.

Basically, it's going to come down to one thing that just makes the masses flock to one or the other. Something spectacular is going to come out on one of them out of the blue, and it's going to snowball from there, because currently, most people won't see a bit of difference in HD-DVD/Blu-ray.

400,000 in the us if lucky and expected to drop
100,000 in japan
none in europe

toshiba allready announced a 2gn unit being introduced in europe that is 1080 p and 1.3 hdmi for europe

and yah theirs gonna be alot of ps3s with blue ray players but how many gamers are gonna buy more tehn 1 movie?

you do know the 360 will have an hd-dvd add on by november and rummored to cost around 200

rumors also of a xbox 360 av
wich has a bigger hard drive something in the 200 gig area
and the hd-dvd player
with all the things the premium has

and rumored to cost 499

but just like the ps3 its just rumors till we actually see them

Bolognablake
09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
At least Sony has the Blu-Ray disk to use with the PS3, so it wouldn't write it off as a complete lost.

I'll be interested to see how Microsoft does the whole add-on HD-DVD player deal.

1loudsuv
09-18-2006, 01:18 AM
At least Sony has the Blu-Ray disk to use with the PS3, so it wouldn't write it off as a complete lost.

I'll be interested to see how Microsoft does the whole add-on HD-DVD player deal.

its gonna be neck and neck i think. but right now hd-dvd has the lead no ifs about it

will ps3 help sales of blue ray discs yes

but theirs alot more 360 owners out allready and the ones who buy the add on are for sure gonna use it to play hd-dvds and the ones buying ps3s is not guarantee.

but for someone really into av neither of those two options is good since both of them will probably not have outstanding pq espeacially for the price their gonna be selling them its only common sense

btnhfan
09-18-2006, 02:02 AM

You dont think Blu-ray will have any delays with the blue laser diode shortage?

Its already ruining the launch date for ps3

Eugenics
09-18-2006, 02:03 AM
blu-ray, because all the major movie studio's save one are behind it

Megalomaniac
09-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, 2 months ago I would have agreed. But since both have become available, HD-DVD has already proven to be superior in picture quality. Reason is the codec they are both using. HD-DVD is using VC-1, but for some reason, even though blu-ray supports VC-1, they are still using MPEG2 compression. End result is blu-ray ends up with an inferior picture.

Secondly, Sony lost their biggest supporter this month, Pioneer. Pioneer said that they were blu-ray only, but after seeing Sony's financial report and the sales of blu-ray vs HD-DVD, they opted to also join the HD-DVD front. Their new player will be out very soon.

Third is the Sony investors. They are calling for Sony to drop the format, and go back to being the "fun" Sony. Some major players have threatened to pull out completely. Sony has not pulled a profit in 6 years.

Fourth, Sony has never won a format war. You have Beta, MiniDisc, SACD, UMD, Atrax3, MemoryStick. This list continues, all that is shown by Sony is failure in these regards. With blu-ray, it is already following the same patterns as the previous attempts.

If you want more background information, check out the latest Wired magazine. It goes into more depth about everything. Problem is, Sony has bet the farm. If blu-ray fails, then Sony goes under.

I agree that Sony tries to keep things for themselves, like when when DVD - r's where selling Sony came out with the "+" r(or was it the other way around) none the less Sony does come out out with decent products(not reffering to their car audio branch) but the only thing i hate most about sony is when you busy a SOny product whether it be a psp or digital camera even their tv's, they have the stupidist hting about using "Sony products" like a Sony memory stick,memory stick duo, and even the sony batteries. But i do have good hopes with the blu-ray concept

1loudsuv
09-20-2006, 10:53 PM
looks like sony is shitting their pants right now...

hd-dvd add on $177 in japan

and prices should be 150-200 here in the us might even be cheaper for the begining

so 10 million 360s versus 500,000 ps3s

yah i know everyone with a 360 wont buy it but not everyone running a ps3 will buy blue ray discs

just say ms really wants to take them down and drops the price to 120 i know at least half of the 360 owners will buy the add on. jesus 177 cant even get you a quality dvd player. and your gonna get the BEST PICTURE OUT THEIR RIGHT NOW FOR 150-200!!