PDA

View Full Version : My molded a-pillars (pics)

MegaHurtz
09-13-2006, 11:16 AM
I've been running Q-form kickpanels for the longest time, and due to a number of sound issues with them I decided to relocate the speakers to a better location. I am running a Focal 165K2P set, and decided to put the woofers from the kit into the stock locations in the doors, and the tweeters into the a-pillars. The doors have been completely sealed, and we built out a ring in order to fit the woofers and just dumped em in... no pics there unfortunately. To bring up the sound stage and help with other aspects of the system, the tweeters were molded into the a-pillars. It wasn't too hard a job, the only real problem was that our first application of bondo (which the pics are of), didn't stick properly and we had to redo it.

The result is amazing sound... great tonal accuracy, with nicely improved imaging and staging. Some critique I've been given so far is that the tweeters might be mounted a bit high, drawing the soundstage slightly forward, but it hasn't been a big issue so far. Regardless, we ended up with a great base for tuning, and once I spend a bit of time on it, it should be killer.

Anyway... pics!

http://www.2k4civic.com/images/apillars.jpg

http://www.2k4civic.com/images/apillars2.jpg

http://www.2k4civic.com/images/apillars3.jpg

http://www.2k4civic.com/images/apillars4.jpg

http://www.2k4civic.com/images/apillars5.jpg

http://www.2k4civic.com/images/apillars6.jpg

alphakenny1
09-13-2006, 12:17 PM
looks good bro. what material did you use to cover it?

ex_03
09-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Looks like tweed??

MegaHurtz
09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Speaker grill cloth :)

FoxPro5
09-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Looks nice. I've always heard that those inverted domes work best up high like that.

Beat_Dominator
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
MegaHurtz = mastah installer :fyi:

Slowd N Throwd
09-13-2006, 04:04 PM
**** thats a clean job

baseballer1100
09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
How hard is that to do?

DaGh0st
09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Nice.

JAZN
09-13-2006, 05:07 PM
**** thats a clean job

x2. very clean. never seen anyone use grill cloth like that before, i like it.

DejaWiz
09-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Beautiful job, MegaHurtz! This is exactly what I was trying to explain to my brother for mounting tweeters in his Saab 900. Awesome work, man.

MegaHurtz
09-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I'll try and get wider pics up with more of the interior in the shot so you can see how well the color and the cloth fit into the interior.

It wasn't terribly hard to do, a very skilled buddy of mine was a huge help. It was just a matter of figuring out where to mount the tweeters, then drilling the holes out for the cups, aiming the cups then gluing them down, applying and shaping the bondo (which is the hardest part), then sanding, priming and covering in grill cloth.

ex_03
09-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Speaker grill cloth :) I knew I seen your name before! 7thgen civic!

3.5Max6spd
09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
looks good bro :)

dleccord
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
just any bondo? can you get the one at your local walmart store?

how long did you have to wait for the bondo to dry for you to sand?

alphakenny1
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
just any bondo? can you get the one at your local walmart store?

how long did you have to wait for the bondo to dry for you to sand?

yes its body filler which is branded by bondo. not sure if they have it at walmart but for sure at home depot, autozone.

as far as waiting, it depends on much hardener you put on. sometimes if you really cake on the bondo and hence you get a shape you dont want, you would want to wait before it fully hardens to sand it down. like its in a state thats pretty hard yet still wet. i did this with a cheese grinder to get the general shape that i wanted.

also a quick note, i also put the tweets in the pillars and although i got a great stage height, it was much more difficult to image correctly. i had the tweeters in the kicks before and i had absolutely no problems with imaging. its not that bad, just not as easy to attain a good image in the pillars.

937DYTBOI
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Sweet Nice Job Dude Im Diggin The Work

dleccord
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
did you sanded the plastic pillar to make it rougher so that the bondo could stick easier?

AJē06
09-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Looks SWEEEEEEET

audiobahnuser18
09-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Very nice install there man

T3mpest
09-14-2006, 07:04 PM
yes its body filler which is branded by bondo. not sure if they have it at walmart but for sure at home depot, autozone.

as far as waiting, it depends on much hardener you put on. sometimes if you really cake on the bondo and hence you get a shape you dont want, you would want to wait before it fully hardens to sand it down. like its in a state thats pretty hard yet still wet. i did this with a cheese grinder to get the general shape that i wanted.

also a quick note, i also put the tweets in the pillars and although i got a great stage height, it was much more difficult to image correctly. i had the tweeters in the kicks before and i had absolutely no problems with imaging. its not that bad, just not as easy to attain a good image in the pillars.

that's because components are usually designed to have the mid and tweet placed together. Active processing can fix the problem though.

MegaHurtz
09-15-2006, 11:42 AM

A lot of it depends on the drivers. The Focal 165K2P are designed to be installed off-axis, so having them in the kicks didn't yield the best results.

dleccord: Yes, we did sand the a-pillars to create a bit of roughness for the bondo to stick to. If you look at the pics, you can clearly see that the bondo isn't really sticking properly to the a-pillar. I also mentioned that we ended up re-doing it because of that (it wasn't sanded originally), and on the second time around we sanded them a bit and it worked much better.

Glaucus
09-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Nice!

Btw, just curious, but what kind of car is that? Looks like a Honda, possibly Prelude. Reason I ask is that I'm in the market for speakers and may need to consider this option as well.

- Mike

MegaHurtz
09-15-2006, 06:32 PM
It's a 2004 Civic coupe.