PDA

View Full Version : I wanna eat my cake to

buttaz
09-13-2006, 03:39 AM
ok , this my first thread so take it easy on me.
ok im new to building boxes and all i have a 89 accord its my only ride at the moment so i need the trunk from time to time. So what i want to do is build a box to fix at the very end of my trunk. See this is the problem i change my mind alot and i cant choose what i want a sealed or ported. so then it struck my why not have both ported and sealed all in one.:yumyum: Before you guys say something i know the differenence between ported and sealed this is where i think my genius comes in. why not have a hatched port technically i just have to figure out how to install a little actuater or something to the hatch and put it in the port ? once i figure this out then i have sealed box and when i want the it to sound different then ill oppen the ports and then im good?
in theroy this should work
right?
~buttaz

springy101
09-13-2006, 03:44 AM
or 1 aero port with a port plug

MA$E
09-13-2006, 03:45 AM
its gonna sound like crap. Depending on what subs u have, i cant really tell u what type of box to build, people need more info.

buttaz
09-13-2006, 04:03 AM
I my self dont know what to choose or build honestly
i might go with 1 12 in sub, which i havent descided on yet im still reasearching and with the box i am going to put a port plug. something that will fit tight, then some how mount the actuaters in the box with out it being in the port it self. im still workin out the ideas in my head. tommerow i am going to get some measurments and picts of my trunk and possiably a drawing of what im imagining it to be. i just need any opinions and ideas thanks

buttaz
09-13-2006, 04:18 AM
opps i forgot i ment a 12 in sub or two compation 8 in subs with a 1500 watta ampp so then the two 8's get 750 watts

SAG3
09-13-2006, 04:24 AM
what you wanna try to do is get an alpine type r 12" and try to port at around 3.5^3 feet. that would be the ideal setup to have. if you bough an orion 1200d to go with it that would be perfect. i guarantee you that you will have the loudest setup out of all of your friend. if you wanna be loud, take my advice.

AcidicDreams
09-13-2006, 04:36 AM
The problem with a simple port plug is that the proper ported box is often much larger than the proper sealed box. Personally I'd just go sealed and port it if it's not loud enough for you....

buttaz
09-13-2006, 04:46 AM
ok so hmmm, this will be loud but will it have bass. because i listen to something called rageatton and party music it is mostly bass. another quick question is should i dyno mat my trunk or should i do something beacause there two things in life that pisses me off
ricer fart cans and ricer wanna be system you know the setups that all you hear is the trunk rattle?

AcidicDreams
09-13-2006, 04:53 AM
ok so hmmm, this will be loud but will it have bass. because i listen to something called rageatton and party music it is mostly bass. another quick question is should i dyno mat my trunk or should i do something beacause there two things in life that pisses me off
ricer fart cans and ricer wanna be system you know the setups that all you hear is the trunk rattle?

If you listen to anything that is mostly beats go ported... and DEFINATELY do the trunk. Get the sound deadner from either www.secondskinaudio.com which has the BEST or get some from www.raamaudio.com which is the best DEAL.... ohh and don't forget to do the back of the license plate.. liquid sound deadner works well for that...

fart cannons and rattling trunks **** me off too... that and people with those **** $100 pair of 12's by dual....

buttaz
09-13-2006, 05:00 AM
dude i know i hate that **** too maing. i cant talk though i got a dual cd player. but what can i say i was stupid, besides that crack head gave me a deal 5 bucks and a piece of my hamburger. geez i love nyc. anyway i bought a cd player off ebay for 50 dollars it was called the passion something i forget the model number. but anyway it has like 200 watts do you think that will be ok. for now? its better then a tape deck right?

AcidicDreams
09-13-2006, 05:08 AM
dude i know i hate that **** too maing. i cant talk though i got a dual cd player. but what can i say i was stupid, besides that crack head gave me a deal 5 bucks and a piece of my hamburger. geez i love nyc. anyway i bought a cd player off ebay for 50 dollars it was called the passion something i forget the model number. but anyway it has like 200 watts do you think that will be ok. for now? its better then a tape deck right?

The power rating on a deck means basically nothing. Any proper stereo has an amplifier on all channels. So as long as it has 3 preouts I think you'll be ok for now... however amp choice and sub choice will be much more important at this stage... DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT buy a junk amp or sub... nothing made by dual/pyle/lightning audio etc...

SAG3
09-13-2006, 05:24 AM
some lightning audio is good ****. some of it.

buttaz
09-13-2006, 01:37 PM
yea im not ganna lie ive had daul products.they where decent till some one decided to spill cool aid on it. Any way i dont want to spend a gran in amps and subs or just one or the other you know? what would you recomend ? honestly i just wanna spend 500 bux on it but im not being realistic so what would you recommend?
and also im thinking of removing the side molding because again i hate the rattler

buttaz
09-13-2006, 01:52 PM
what happends if the deck i get doesnt have preamps? is there a to splice the regualar cables with a rca jack and then connect it to my amp? would that work?

JimJ
09-13-2006, 01:53 PM
It will...I can't think of an aftermarket head unit that doesn't have a low level preamp out :)

AcidicDreams
09-13-2006, 01:57 PM
my LA amps are great! Their storm subs are awesome, too.

But feel free to diss the bolt line.

I've only ever seen the bolt lines... I didn't even know they had other lines

buttaz
09-13-2006, 05:32 PM
im tring to design a box but all the programs i see are all for windows based i have a mac.
and then i try to draw it but i wonder about how the design affects the sound quility. i need something realy light i was thinking fiberglass but i was told that it would sound like ****. and then my trunk isnt a box there these thing in it that take up space i dont dont know what it is i think it is the wheel wells. im thinking about taking off the plastic cover and fiberglassing so the box fits better. i dont know what to do any advice and i still cant decide on the driver size

buttaz
09-14-2006, 01:46 AM
ight so i drew my box it ruff kinda looks like a robot lol but tell me wat you guys think bout it . i still have alot of designing and **** to do so give me your critics good and bad bit dont be brutal:blackeye:

buttaz
09-14-2006, 01:58 AM
oh shot i forgot to add the pics. lol oh **** ok promise not to life5841

buttaz
09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
come one some one has to have somethign
**** not even a wise crack about my drawing **** some one help me out

Fattony911
09-14-2006, 03:32 PM
is it just me or is this title bothering anyone else? what cake?!

buttaz
09-14-2006, 04:35 PM
ok lol when the thread started i was going to make a ported / sealed box basicaly i wanted the best of both worlds. you get it so like the saying goes "you cant have your cake and eat it to" i think thats how it goes. anyway if you know how to change the title then by all means change cuz i dont know how to

Fattony911
09-14-2006, 06:33 PM
oh ok i thought it was a saying just not knowing it was like making me mad i dont know why lol what exactly do you need im half asleep and dont feel like reading haha.

buttaz
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
i just need to know if the way the box is designed mattas on the sound quility. and if there is any programs out there for apple computers