PDA

View Full Version : speaker wattage

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 04:52 PM
I am looking to get new speakers cuz the ones I have now are blown, I just have a question about the wattage for the new speakers. On my factory speakers there 20w nom and 40w max. What does 20w NOM mean? Does that mean the wattage that the speakers needs to run on, I dont understand.

skadude016
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
nom or rms. means rated power. basically if you feed those speakers 40 watts all day you will fry em. its in the ballpark of 20watts that is easier on them.

skadude016
09-12-2006, 04:55 PM
you will prolly start hearing distortion also. with such a low rms rating you will prolly end up blowing those jus like the last ones.

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 05:06 PM
so if I got a speaker with 20w RMS and peak at 100w I would blow them becsuse of the 20w RMS or wont because of the 100w peak?

springy101
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
throw that peak number out the window, only pay attention to rms. rms is what they are meant to be played at. max means nothing. when you buy speakers find an amp that puts out power similar to their rms

skadude016
09-12-2006, 05:12 PM
20 watts rms is what the company has rated it for. after that you will prolly start hearing distortion. and once you get to a point they will stop getting loud and jus sound like poop. basically you wanna match the rms of the head unit(or amp) to the rms of the speaker without going to far over.

audeogod
09-12-2006, 05:14 PM
The 20 watts RMS is how much power they can handle continuously. The PEAK power is how much they can handle for a brief second or so, like on a hard bass note or powerful loud burst of any musical instrument for example. Whether or not you blow them again depends on how much power you are feeding them. Are they on an amp or on just a deck??

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Well my car comes stock with 2 amps, 1 for the front 2 speakers and 1 for the back 2 speakers. When I buy the speakers I am getting a new HU, 2 subs, and an amp for the subs. So thats why I was trying to stay near 20w rms because thats what the stock speakers are. Is this right?

skadude016
09-12-2006, 05:24 PM
if your gonna get a new system you need to bypass those amps for your speakers and get a good amp for them. and a good componet set for the speakers.

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 05:36 PM
see I wasnt planning on getting new speakers untill I found out that 1 was blown and the others were in bad shape. so this is why Im looking for speakers. I was just planning on getting 2 pairs that worked with the stock amps and that was the same size. this is why im asking about the wattage so that i can get it right so that I dont blow them. So seeing that my stock speakers are 20w RMS should I stay at 20W and get a higher peak or get something with higher RMS?

skadude016
09-12-2006, 05:44 PM
well if you blew them you are prolly turning the volume up to much and clipping the amp.

audeogod
09-12-2006, 05:54 PM
You can go higher on the RMS, it won't hurt anything.

Did the factory speakers say what ohm load they are?? Most factory speakers are a higher than average ohm load, like around 8 or 10 or 12 ohms. Almost EVERY aftermarket speaker will be 4 ohms. That means that the amps would push a lot more power when turned to the same volume level as before and if they aren't built for it, then they wouldn't last, the amps I mean.

I'd bypass the factory amps and either run new speakers on just the deck, or put them on a new, nicer amp. Also ,depending on the size of the speakers you are replacing, it's going to be difficult to find speakers in the 20 watt RMS range. Most will be 40 RMS or higher, but that is not a problem. Don't try to look for speakers that only take 20 watts. Also PEAK wattage means next to nothing. Only comes into play if you were putting a 100 watt peak speaker on a 500 watt peak amp. Not likely you'll do that.

skadude016
09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
You can go higher on the RMS, it won't hurt anything.

Did the factory speakers say what ohm load they are?? Most factory speakers are a higher than average ohm load, like around 8 or 10 or 12 ohms. Almost EVERY aftermarket speaker will be 4 ohms. That means that the amps would push a lot more power when turned to the same volume level as before and if they aren't built for it, then they wouldn't last, the amps I mean.

I'd bypass the factory amps and either run new speakers on just the deck, or put them on a new, nicer amp. Also ,depending on the size of the speakers you are replacing, it's going to be difficult to find speakers in the 20 watt RMS range. Most will be 40 RMS or higher, but that is not a problem. Don't try to look for speakers that only take 20 watts. Also PEAK wattage means next to nothing. Only comes into play if you were putting a 100 watt peak speaker on a 500 watt peak amp. Not likely you'll do that.
yup. your gonna hate it when the subs drown out the speakers.

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 06:02 PM
the front doors are 4x6" at 2 ohm and the back decks are 5 1/4 at 2 ohms

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I didnt blow the speakers the last owener did and theres only 1 speaker that is blown the rear deck speakers cone is damaged

audeogod
09-12-2006, 06:06 PM
the front doors are 4x6" at 2 ohm and the back decks are 5 1/4 at 2 ohms

If you put new aftermarket 4 ohm speakers in place of those, then the amps would output only 1/2 of their original wattage. Twice the resistance, half the power. See how that works?? But you can run them on your factory amps, you would just do better to run them on a new amp or on the deck.

Rattlebrain
09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Wow 2 ohm stock?
What car is it in?

audeogod
09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Also, they probably blew due to being a smaller sized speaker and you(or someone else) played them louder than they should have been. A larger speaker would have handled it better most likely. Those really aren't good sizes. The 5.25's would work in the front, and the rear both if you could do that. I bet it was one of the 4x6's that blew, right?? I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

skadude016
09-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Also, they probably blew due to being a smaller sized speaker and you(or someone else) played them louder than they should have been. A larger speaker would have handled it better most likely. Those really aren't good sizes. The 5.25's would work in the front, and the rear both if you could do that. I bet it was one of the 4x6's that blew, right?? I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

size doesnt matter. its how the speaker is built :)

audeogod
09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
size doesnt matter. its how the speaker is built :)

Well, true to a point. Going by the law of averages though, most 4x6's are built fairly weakly. But they could have been 6x9's and still blown if they were played to the point of distortion. It's just easier to distort 4x6's.

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Wow 2 ohm stock?
What car is it in?

its a 96 infiniti G20

it was 1 of the 4x6"s.

could I replace them with http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7428.html and http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7424.html would those work?

skadude016
09-12-2006, 07:19 PM
ya those would be good. but jus make sure u are easy on that volume knob. or get an aftermarket amp.

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 07:39 PM
why cant i turn up the volume on because of the RMS being 20w more than the factory ones?

audeogod
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
why cant i turn up the volume on because of the RMS being 20w more than the factory ones?

Your amp is going to put out a certain amount of power for a given volume setting on the deck. That amp was made to work with 2 ohm speakers from the factory. So at a certain volume level and 2 ohm speakers it will sound a certain way, that you were used to.

Now you need new speakers and are going to replace them with, most likely, 4 ohm speakers. Automatically you can count on 1/2 the power from your amp to be gone. Twice the resistance(4 ohms vs. 2 ohms) equals 1/2 the power. 1/2 the power equals less volume.

Now if you try to turn up the volume beyond where you used to have it, then you risk making the amp distort the signal going to the speakers. Distortion KILLS speakers. So if your factory amp isn't capable of putting out the power necessary to run the speakers at the volume level you want, then your only option is to either bypass it, or get a newer aftermarket amp that's made to run 4 ohm speakers.

AND, I'm not going to swear that the factory amp won't do adequately. You say the previous owner of the car blew the speaker. It may do fine for your individual listening tastes once you get some new speakers and can hear how it will do with them. BUT IF IT DOESN'T, if it's not loud enough, you just have to remember that there's a limit to how much you can get from it. If at the volume level you like, you hear distortion, then know that you have exceeded what the amp is capable of doing and that you need to turn it back down.

audeogod
09-12-2006, 08:18 PM
its a 96 infiniti G20

it was 1 of the 4x6"s.

could I replace them with http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7428.html and http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7424.html would those work?

OOOOHHHH, those are some nice looking speakers!

blackhawk911
09-12-2006, 08:30 PM
OOOOHHHH, those are some nice looking speakers!

yes they are, well seeing that those are both at 2 ohm that takes care of the ohm thing if I just get the same amoun that the factory ones were. what about the RMS these here are 40w and 45w will I have trouble with these in the factory amps?

audeogod
09-12-2006, 10:31 PM
yes they are, well seeing that those are both at 2 ohm that takes care of the ohm thing if I just get the same amoun that the factory ones were. what about the RMS these here are 40w and 45w will I have trouble with these in the factory amps?

I didn't notice that those were 2 ohms. That's cool. Good factory replacement. And being more than the original RMS value will not affect them at all. Means that they can take a little more power, but the amp doesn't have any more to give other than what it put out before. But it won't matter. Just don't crank them to the point where they distort and you'll have no trouble.

Also, if you were interested in changing to other sizes maybe for better sound or a bit more bass, they sell on installer.com some adapters that will let you put in speakers like 6.5's in a 4x6 hole. They might be raised up some in doing it cause obviously a larger speaker won't fit down in the smaller hole. But if the factory grills, door panels, or whatever there is will go back on over top of it, then you would have a bit better sound and no additional hassle. Might be worth checking out.

audeogod
09-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I just read the specs on those speakers and they are very nice. They even have oversized cones compared to other speakers the same size. That will be a bit nicer than the standard 5.25. Not overwhelmingly better, but somewhat. I'd at least see about getting a 5.25 for the front though, a 4x6 isn't the best size speaker for mids and highs. Oval cones distort sounds somewhat. Not the distortion I was talking about earlier that kills speakers, but the distortion that just keeps it from sounding totally natural. Also a 4x6 is not good for bass so don't expect them to be bassy. The 5.25's aren't really big enough for bass either, but will do better than the 4x6's will.

joshs98runner
09-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Those look like great replacements for what you need for your car.

blackhawk911
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
ok thanks guys

I would put in bigger speakers in the front but I just want to get them in and working so I can install my subs, thats also why Im sticking with this size so that I get all the bass from the subs.

blackhawk911
09-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I just found out that I do have to put in bigger speakers for the rear deck Im getting http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hsv1bS...000&I=109GTO627

Some one told me I should get http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ytcx5o...=721&search=EFX . could someone tell me if I should or not, I dont really know to much about this product or what it is suppose to do.

audeogod
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I just found out that I do have to put in bigger speakers for the rear deck Im getting http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hsv1bS...000&I=109GTO627

Some one told me I should get http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ytcx5o...=721&search=EFX . could someone tell me if I should or not, I dont really know to much about this product or what it is suppose to do.

Those links you put up just take you to the crutchfield.com homepage, or some other part of the site, but do not show a product at all. At least not the one you are asking about.

blackhawk911
09-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Those links you put up just take you to the crutchfield.com homepage, or some other part of the site, but do not show a product at all. At least not the one you are asking about.

sorry about the links here they are:

new rear deck speakers http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7426.html
this speaker has 20 more RMS watts than the other ones, this wont effect anything will it?

something to adjust speakers http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TxgTkxidnNp/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=142SLC4&g=721&search=EFX
would this help or just make things more confusing?