PDA

View Full Version : Scan Speak

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Anyone used any Scan Speak midrange? If so what model and how was the sound quality, imaging, and midbass production.

FoxPro5
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Did you mean to ask how is the midrange of Scan Speak midbass drivers?? When installed to their potential they might just be the 'best' out there. Never used them myself, but that seems to be the general feeling of the product line.

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Did you mean to ask how is the midrange of Scan Speak midbass drivers?? When installed to their potential they might just be the 'best' out there. Never used them myself, but that seems to be the general feeling of the product line.

Well I'm trying to decide what I am going to do in the new truck. I have a Dynaudio System 360 and l like the way they sound and all....but not everyone makes the best of each component. I just don't know if I want to do a 3 way setup or just a 2 way. It will all depend on how well the midrange/midbass will perform. I like the midbass that I get out of the Dynaudio so I thought about using it for the midbass and getting a scan speak midrange and maybe focal tweeter but it is all still up in the air right now. Just trying to get some input on what other people have had good luck mixing.

alphakenny1
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
i briefly listened to a set of scan speak rev 4.5", about a 10 minute listen. my initial impressions were i was very impressed with the little guy. very smoothe and full sound. imaging seemed very good.

i suggest doing a 3 way front stage. i bet foxpro can attest that w/ a 3 way front stage you'll hear music you've never heard before. the vocals/instruments are unreal on my lotus 4's. i'm sure the scan speak rev 4.5" is a very formable choice. when i was choosing my midrange i posted a WTB thread for either lotus 4 or a scan speak 4.5". someone first came to me w/ a lotus 4, so i went with that.

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
i briefly listened to a set of scan speak rev 4.5", about a 10 minute listen. my initial impressions were i was very impressed with the little guy. very smoothe and full sound. imaging seemed very good.

i suggest doing a 3 way front stage. i bet foxpro can attest that w/ a 3 way front stage you'll hear music you've never heard before. the vocals/instruments are unreal on my lotus 4's. i'm sure the scan speak rev 4.5" is a very formable choice. when i was choosing my midrange i posted a WTB thread for either lotus 4 or a scan speak 4.5". someone first came to me w/ a lotus 4, so i went with that.

I guess the only other thing is that I really don't like using a small midrange. I like for my music to be loud if I am riding with my windows down. I was maybe looking at the 5.5 or maybe even the 7. I just haven't had good luck with a small midrange.

JimJ
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Have you considered horns?

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Have you considered horns?

I've looked at the Image Dynamics horns but I would really like to hear some before I shelled out the money for something like that. I know they can produce an large amount of volume.

FoxPro5
09-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Is this going to be run actively? What do you have for processing? Do you want to spend hours and hours tuning and getting it to sound right. Intuitively, it seems 6 speakers up front is better than 4 speakers, but it doesn't always work that way.

It's probably not worth just replacing the midrange on the Dyn set if you are using the passive xover network. Better off just changing the whole thing or work with the install and with what ever methods you have for tuning at your disposal.

And yes FoxPro can testify to what the addition of a midrange speaker can do for your soundstage. But, he does have a love-hate relationship with the whole thing that he is currently seeking a 12 step program for :banghead: :)

squeak9798
09-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Another thing to think about....I've heard that the Scan Speak drivers are not very adept for the automotive enviornment....

Yes, Alpine uses them in their F#1 status speakers....but they also use a proprietary coating on the cones to help protect the speakers and make them more automotive-enviornment friendly.

If you want output while retaining excellent sound quality....horns are a definite option.....

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Is this going to be run actively? What do you have for processing? Do you want to spend hours and hours tuning and getting it to sound right. Intuitively, it seems 6 speakers up front is better than 4 speakers, but it doesn't always work that way.

It's probably not worth just replacing the midrange on the Dyn set if you are using the passive xover network. Better off just changing the whole thing or work with the install and with what ever methods you have for tuning at your disposal.

And yes FoxPro can testify to what the addition of a midrange speaker can do for your soundstage. But, he does have a love-hate relationship with the whole thing that he is currently seeking a 12 step program for :banghead: :)

If I do a setup with different brand components I will be running an amp per set of speakers. One for tweeter, one for midrange, and one for midbass. I also have an audiocontrol DQS crossover. The main problem I have with the dynaudio is the slope of the crossover it comes with. I guess I should go ahead and buy my amps and control each component individually and see how that works. I know for sound quality most people like shallow slopes...but with the dyn set....the midrange will break up at high volumes.

FoxPro5
09-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I know for sound quality most people like shallow slopes...but with the dyn set....the midrange will break up at high volumes.

Really no correlation between slope and SQ. Where did you hear that?

Why will the midrange break up at high volume? What driver are you referring to?

Yes, Dyn uses 6 db/oct slopes on their passive network, but thats what Dyn found to be the best for their drivers. You can't apply that to other speakers as a generality. I can tell you that in my system the slopes vary from 12 db/oct to 48 db/oct and I don't really care how loud it plays ;)

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Another thing to think about....I've heard that the Scan Speak drivers are not very adept for the automotive enviornment....

Yes, Alpine uses them in their F#1 status speakers....but they also use a proprietary coating on the cones to help protect the speakers and make them more automotive-enviornment friendly.

If you want output while retaining excellent sound quality....horns are a definite option.....

I never knew that alpine used the scan speak drivers in the F#1 stuff. I know they looked familiar. I wonder why the price difference is so much more than scan speak? Also....I am pretty sure that is what Cory Himel uses in his Prestige Van. One of the guys that helped him with the van told me that they were Kicker prototypes but they sure do look like scan speak

alphakenny1
09-11-2006, 09:25 PM
the difference in prices is duh, the brand name. F1 = expensive so thats the price markup.

also squeak is somewhat right about scan speak drivers not suitable for automotive environment as scan speak drivers need to be sealed for best performance. so if you are considering IB, scan speak probably wouldn't be a good choice. but if you seal them they can be very good.

also as far as processing goes if you want to go 3 way front stage, its pretty hard to beat the h701 or a p9 combo as you have absolute full control of each individual driver. there are other ways of doing so but the h701/p9 combo route is the easiest to tune.

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Really no correlation between slope and SQ. Where did you hear that?

Why will the midrange break up at high volume? What driver are you referring to?

Yes, Dyn uses 6 db/oct slopes on their passive network, but thats what Dyn found to be the best for their drivers. You can't apply that to other speakers as a generality. I can tell you that in my system the slopes vary from 12 db/oct to 48 db/oct and I don't really care how loud it plays ;)

My midrange is the MD140 that comes with the system 360. And usually a speaker will blend better with a shallow slope rather than steep if you aren't running the set close together. And I do care how loud it gets because i like to ride with my windows down somtimes too and I need increased volume for the set to keep up.

xtremekustomz
09-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Well...thanks for the input. I think I am going to try a few new things in the truck and see how I like it with the dyn set. I never did really get it tuned like I wanted it but I've got some time this week to play around with it so I will see how it goes.

FoxPro5
09-11-2006, 10:11 PM
My midrange is the MD140 that comes with the system 360. And usually a speaker will blend better with a shallow slope rather than steep if you aren't running the set close together. And I do care how loud it gets because i like to ride with my windows down somtimes too and I need increased volume for the set to keep up.

Which is totally cool man! Don't get me wrong. I was just emphasizing the point that the slope can vary so much depending on driver position, time allignment, PLD's, etc, etc, etc that it has little to do with SQ or SPL, but mostly to do with creating a seamless sound that works best for your ears.

So yea, play around a bit with the Dyns. I have a set of Dyn tweeters and it seemed ironic to me that they did work best with a shallow slope running actively. You might find that running them active can yield infinite possibilites for better SQ.

azbass
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
from what i have expericence with scan-speak. they would be better with a custom made passive crossover made for teh set up/car.

azbass
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
So yea, play around a bit with the Dyns. I have a set of Dyn tweeters and it seemed ironic to me that they did work best with a shallow slope running actively. You might find that running them active can yield infinite possibilites for better SQ.

x2.

Brian Owens
09-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Call North Creek Music. George Short can pretty much tell you anything and everything you want to know about scan speak.

He has a custom version made for his speakers and they are coated. Not sure if that would help them hold up in automotive or not.

www.northcreekmusic.com

Brian

squeak9798
09-11-2006, 11:28 PM
also squeak is somewhat right about scan speak drivers not suitable for automotive environment as scan speak drivers need to be sealed for best performance. so if you are considering IB, scan speak probably wouldn't be a good choice. but if you seal them they can be very good.

I was actually talking more specifically about how well they hold up to the extremities of the automotive enviornment....cold, dampness, humidity, etc. I could never search and find it now...but I recall some people having problems with them withstanding the elements in a vehicle.

And yeah....Kicker has used them in competition vehicles as "prototype" drivers....atleast from the stories I've been told.

3.5Max6spd
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I think a Scan midrange would suit mighty fine with Dynaudio hybrid system- their technology and foundation date back to conception and their signature is neutrality as well..

But like any home audio driver, as squeek9798 suggests take into consideration that it IS a home audio driver and its construction may not be tested for such thermal conditions. A fellow board member/competitor in another forum recently found out, as his multi hundred dollar Scan tweeters began to melt the dome right off the housing likely because of the glues used in them. This doesnt happen to everyone obviously, but it is something to consider being this is quite a purchase for a pair of drivers when you are talking Scanspeak.

If you plan on playing with the Dyn 140/2 active avoid anything lower than a
500hz 24db slope...thats about all they are capable of safely.

BTW the NEW revision of Dynaudio drivers are scheduled to be out in a months time or so. If you are really looking to play lower , have you given the mw150's a thought? I'm sure they'll do everything you need.

xtremekustomz
09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I think a Scan midrange would suit mighty fine with Dynaudio hybrid system- their technology and foundation date back to conception and their signature is neutrality as well..

But like any home audio driver, as squeek9798 suggests take into consideration that it IS a home audio driver and its construction may not be tested for such thermal conditions. A fellow board member/competitor in another forum recently found out, as his multi hundred dollar Scan tweeters began to melt the dome right off the housing likely because of the glues used in them. This doesnt happen to everyone obviously, but it is something to consider being this is quite a purchase for a pair of drivers when you are talking Scanspeak.

If you plan on playing with the Dyn 140/2 active avoid anything lower than a
500hz 24db slope...thats about all they are capable of safely.

BTW the NEW revision of Dynaudio drivers are scheduled to be out in a months time or so. If you are really looking to play lower , have you given the mw150's a thought? I'm sure they'll do everything you need.

I am just going to stick with the Dyn the way they are. Acutally I haven't listened to them in over a year and I just put them in my truck yesterday and I am very pleased. The truck they are in now is an extended cab so imaging is better than my regular cab. I had them in my fiberglass dash that I built for my show truck but never did complete the installation. Really just got bored with it and I rarely drive it. I think I am just going to end up selling it and focus on using nice equipment in my work truck. I mean...I am in it every day so why not have something nice? I did have the Kicker SS comp set and midbass in it and liked it....but after installing the dynaudio....there is a BIG difference. I forgot how much more detail this set has and it is ALOT louder and cleaner than the kicker. Anyway...as for the crossover slope...I am using the factory crossover that came with the set. I am running a us amps usa200x per side and a 600 on the subs.

Do you have any info on the new dynaudio or anywhere I could go look at it on the web? I know they haven't changed anything in years.

3.5Max6spd
09-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Do you have any info on the new dynaudio or anywhere I could go look at it on the web? I know they haven't changed anything in years.

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=125328&pagenumber=4

T3mpest
09-13-2006, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=3.5Max6spd;2201111]I think a Scan midrange would suit mighty fine with Dynaudio hybrid system- their technology and foundation date back to conception and their signature is neutrality as well..

[QUOTE]
poor bob... I'd be pissed too.