PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impression: CDT ES-100s don't sound so stellar...

KojiroTakenashi
09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
The Eurosport tweeters I got for my girlfriend's car stated that they came with crossovers...instead, I got an inline capacitor. The CDT "X-1". While I understand that it is, indeed, a crossover, it's not cutting it in my initial tests.

Everything is in free air, with woofer and tweeter level. First I tried with no capacitor - sounded GREAT, but there was WAY too much 'ringing' distortion in the upper end...the mids were fantastic, however.

Then I tried with crossover (wired in parallel), and the tweeters sounded 'laid back', not what I consider a good sound. It seems like it's crossed over way too high? Anyway, I then noticed something else about the woofer, it played its own 'ringing' distortion. The woofers are the ones from the eDi 6500s.

eDi has told me that the 6500 woofers have 'useful' output up to 7Khz, and I believe it...should I invest in a pair of seperate crossovers? I already went overbudget with her own money and I'm dipping into my own (for the amplifier, wiring, etc). Should I try things in-car before making any die-hard decisions, though?

In a word...these tweeters sound 'weak' when using the capacitor and quite a bit too distorted when complicated music is played. The woofers just keep thumping along, though.

If anyone's curious, my penultimate audio reference are the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (non SE) bookshelf speakers. The eDi is almost more than a match for these (which is a darn shame they're so magnetic...), speakers which have Aerogel woofers. The Tweeters, though? They don't sound worth the money I paid ($100, on sale at WoofersEtc). What am I doing wrong?

djdilliodon
09-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Those tweeters havent been made for quite some time :( woofers must of bought the old stock cdt had. Also i have never even seen a cap style xover used on a cdt tweeter other than there coax's. Exactly which cdt comp set do u have and if you have a pic of the set i could help you alot more.

Thieroff
09-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Well, James, an inline capacitor is never really that good of an answer for a crossover, they are only useful for 6db/octave rolloff, crossover networks are usually designed for a specific set of drivers, and you're going to want a little more rolloff than that.

Where do you have the mids crossed over at on the high end?

CDT tweeters are generally known for being "laid back" and I believe possess a 6ohm impedance which could also be screwing up your crossover freq.

CDT tweets are not the in your face agressive type, they are generally more natural and laid back sounding, as with most silk tweets when compared to a hard dome.

Best option I can tell you is get in contact with a CDT dealer and see if you can get some Satnet480 passives for a good price, or build your own, which wouldn't necessarily be easy bro

CDT dealers
AlterAudioUSA
DjDillioDon

CT

Thieroff
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Don,

He's got some eDi 6500 mids I sold him and a set of those ES-100 tweets he bought off of Woofersetc

KojiroTakenashi
09-11-2006, 08:58 PM
The ES-100s were 'on sale' for $110/shipped down from '400', although price searches dug up the actual original price of about $200 or so, with some people selling their used ones for close to $100 anyway.

By laid back I don't mean 'not aggressive'. Quite the contrary - Ascends aren't aggressive, nor are they laid back, they're neutral. I guess what I meant by laid back would be something more like...quiet. They're quiet and not as accurate sounding as the woofers, even in their intended frequency range.

I don't know where the actual crossover point is supposed to be on these things. The included pamphlet didn't give me any real information about it.

Building my own crossover not easy? Psh. Asides from the whole 'circuit design' thing, lemme just get out my soldering iron...

Edit: Are you guys also saying I should have gone with newer model tweeters, even though they would be less expensive?

Edit 2: Here's the link to the Tweeters: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3073&CFID=1952678&CFTOKEN=bc52ee69adda7264-9F9087D3-1422-7C6E-5046B82E4AF5F38D

Thieroff
09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
My CDT tweets aren't what I would call loud, they are more just there enough to hear them, more balanced

Only thing I can really think of is to build yourself a passive set, although impedance graphs and FR graphs may be hard to come by thru CDT

or purchase a set of passives, wait til Don chimes back in, he knows more about CDT than I do, and can maybe offer you another option

KojiroTakenashi
09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13200

Would those crossovers work ok?

More to the point, would they sound better than what I have going on now?

Keep in mind, my tests were just in free air. I'm sure the sound should pick up a bit while in the Tracker, but I want to make sure it sounds at least _acceptable_ before them.

Thieroff
09-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Do you have a DMM?

Find the impedance of those tweeters and i might be able to find something that will work better

KojiroTakenashi
09-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Nope, no multimeter. It was on the 'to buy' list before my store canned me.

Edit: I can take it in to Radio Shack tomorrow and they'll check it for me for free.

Thieroff
09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
cool, do that and get back to me

gr1m
09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Kojiro, I have the same exact pair of HT speaks as you, the classic CBM 170s as my LR and the classic CMT-340 for my center (HTM 200s surrounds), mated with the PB10 ;)
I believe curtis, the Ascend forum moderator, also has CDT components(?) for his 4Runner. wow, what a small world.
I am contemplating which component set I should buy for my '06 Odyssey. the factory speaks sound like crap!!!

If anyone's curious, my penultimate audio reference are the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (non SE) bookshelf speakers. The eDi is almost more than a match for these (which is a darn shame they're so magnetic...), speakers which have Aerogel woofers. The Tweeters, though? They don't sound worth the money I paid ($100, on sale at WoofersEtc). What am I doing wrong?

KojiroTakenashi
09-11-2006, 10:38 PM
It was Curtis who referred me to CDT XD

I am also one of the winners of the Ascend Baseball Caps.

alteraudiousa
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Those are definitely older tweets as the newer ES series uses the ES-01 Gold which are the tweets like these http://www.buycdt.com/drivers_es01.htm. And all regular 2006 ES models are using the drt series tweeters. Those tweeters from woofersetc.com could be the older tw-24 or 25 tweeters, hard to tell. I used to use the tw-24 and liked them but the ddrt25 is definitely a better tweeter and the drt-26 adds the benefit of being modular. And the ES-01 is just better.

pik
09-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I have a set of crossovers from Arc's ACS 265 set xover is at 3200 i believe.

pm me if you want them for almost nothing.

KojiroTakenashi
09-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Those are definitely older tweets as the newer ES series uses the ES-01 Gold which are the tweets like these http://www.buycdt.com/drivers_es01.htm. And all regular 2006 ES models are using the drt series tweeters. Those tweeters from woofersetc.com could be the older tw-24 or 25 tweeters, hard to tell. I used to use the tw-24 and liked them but the ddrt25 is definitely a better tweeter and the drt-26 adds the benefit of being modular. And the ES-01 is just better.

I would be seriously upset if those were from the TW series, as they also have those on the website for cheaper.

Pik, I'd be interested in the crossovers if Thieroff thinks they're ok. Car crossovers aren't exactly in my area of knowledge...

pik
09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
no prob, only looking for shipping + a couple bucks, I believe its a 3200 @ 12db, has some tweet attenuation too. i feel for you, trying to do car audio work for a girlfreind is a non-winning situation in my experience.

djdilliodon
09-12-2006, 01:03 AM
The proper filtering is what you need. A cdt 480 or 560i would do the trick. There is also the active route as well but tends to cost more in many cases. While the es-100 is an old design it is still a decent tweeter and should def give good results. Just give the drivers the proper filtering and install and i can promise you will be totally satisfied:D

Thieroff
09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey man, I'd honestly say do what Don says, CDT satnet 480 or 560, PM him for a price, I'm sure he can get you taken care of

CT

KojiroTakenashi
09-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Got the impedance. 5.36 ohms.

Sorry it took so long.

Thieroff
09-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey bro

I'd say your best bet would be to hit up DjDillioDon and get some Satnet 480s or SatNet560s

Talk to him, see if he can cut you a nice deal

CT

KojiroTakenashi
09-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Ok...testing on the 480s that came with the EF-61s I bought and need to turn around and sell, they're actually not that bad, though not quite what I'd call satisfactory.

They are, however, several cuts above the TW-24. I suppose by the general standards around here, it's a pretty good tweeter...but not to me. I'm spoiled, see. My first entry-level bookshelves were Wharfedales, and the tweets on those things have me spoiled rotten. The only tweeters that satisfy me now are Ascend Acoustics, and that's the standard I'll hold anything else to...

So, once I get my digital camera, these ES tweeters are going on sale. The "quiet" part was the lack of a crossover, but these just aren't 'solid' enough, IMO.

They DO make an excellent match with the EFs I have, however.