PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Need Help Picking Components...

aamiryou
09-11-2006, 01:38 AM
I'll admit it -- I'm an audio n00b. But I've been doing my research and searching around the web for a week or two now, and am starting to get an idea of what I want, but have no idea what will give that to me. I could really use some help picking the right set of components for me.

I'll start off with what I know I want. I drive a Mits 3000GT VR4, which has a small cabin so I am looking to dump the rear 6x9s and put full speaker use in the front with a nice set of components. I'm mainly a hip-hop listener (though I listen to pretty much everything), so I obviously want to have ample solid bass, but am more into SQ and want the music to be detailed. I've never been a fan of the tinny aluminum sound, so I will more than likely be going with a soft silk tweeter. The components will later be paired with a sub... but not for some time.

Any ideas for a 6.5" component set that matches this critieria? I was hoping to keep it under $250, but may be willing to spend more if I have to. Would also consider used (let me know if you have anything available, plz). I have yet to buy an amp, but I plan on putting 100-200 watts rms to each speaker. I'm currently looking at an old school Audio Art 200MS that does 100w x2 @4ohms and 200w x2@2 ohms stable.

Some of the sets I've been looking at are:
CDT CL-61 w/TW-25 Tweeter ~$179
CDT EF-61CF (think they have CDT's TW-24 tweeter?) ~199
Diamond Audio D661s ~$229

My main problem is that I don't have anywhere to test these speakers. I've heard great things about both companies in the past (I've also heard that Diamond Audio recently farmed out and now makes junk -- is that true?), but don't know if their speakers will fit my personal preference. If anyone knows of a shop/store around Laurel or College Park, Maryland where I could test some of these out, please let me know that as well. Would be a great help.

Any advice/recommendations would really be appreciated, I definately need it. Thanks!

theothermike
09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
rainbow slc's or slc kicks - pm 6spdcoupe on here for them. Lot sof people run them and havnt heard any complaints.

Or crystal ss6c's they are very beefy and have had good success results. Dont no where you can buy them though.

Wowimzz
09-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Ascendant Audio makes a really nice set, but it comes with no crossover so you would have to either go active or make some crossovers or something. The set is composed of: 6.5" high excursion poly mids, and a pair of vifa xt25c tweets. i believe i paid ~165 shipped. OH... these are perfect for my amp as well, which is an orion 800.4.

alteraudiousa
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
you'll have to be careful on the depth though cause you don't have much. The EF-61CF are a good choice if you're interested in them, PM me or email me and i'll give you a price for them.

aamiryou
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
you'll have to be careful on the depth though cause you don't have much. The EF-61CF are a good choice if you're interested in them, PM me or email me and i'll give you a price for them.Yeah that is a concern of mine... I believe I only have about ~2.7" to work with.

Sent a pm to alter and 6spdcoupe (thanks theothermike). I guess I'll need to find the mounting depths of the SLCs as well.

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep it coming :)

Blados
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
There are lots of audio stores near you... There's DSI electroics off route 1 in laurel (not exactly sure what they sell there), audio-video solutions off rt 1 across from best buy, there's a tweeter in columbia and another audio shop off of dobbin road in columbia. I'm sure there are a ton more, those are just the ones that come to mind.

aamiryou
09-11-2006, 10:39 PM
There are lots of audio stores near you... There's DSI electroics off route 1 in laurel (not exactly sure what they sell there), audio-video solutions off rt 1 across from best buy, there's a tweeter in columbia and another audio shop off of dobbin road in columbia. I'm sure there are a ton more, those are just the ones that come to mind.Thanks man. I think DSI went out of business a few years ago -- if its the place I'm thinking about (right off Whiskey Bottom?). I have a friend that works at Tweeter but he said all they really carry is JL Audio, I'm more looking for the brands that retail chains usually don't have. I'll have to check out the Rt 1/Dobbin Rd stores though. Thanks again!

Intercooler
09-11-2006, 10:50 PM
You know something I have noticed in Maryland/Delaware? No good mid/upper end audio places. Tweeter is about as good as it gets and they carry a few but ZERO of the ones discussed on this board. I think I should start a shop!

aamiryou
09-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Sorry to bump this again, haven't really made too much progress.

I'm still not really sure what I want to spend or what would satisfy me. I've found three speakers that should fit in my car, in three different price ranges

CDT EF-61CF - $175
Rainbow SLCs - $230
OZ Audio 180CS - ~$385, I think

I really liked the Crystal SSCs, but they won't fit my car. Does anyone know of any comparable, yet easier to find locally, components? Like would any of the JL audio speakers compare to these? Just so I can have an idea of how different the speakers are for the price differences and which is good enough for me...

Or just suggest something totally different

edit:: doesn't look like the OZ Audio's are going to fit either...

baseballer1100
09-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Ascendant Audio makes a really nice set, but it comes with no crossover so you would have to either go active or make some crossovers or something. The set is composed of: 6.5" high excursion poly mids, and a pair of vifa xt25c tweets. i believe i paid ~165 shipped. OH... these are perfect for my amp as well, which is an orion 800.4.

They have crossovers.

90accordman
09-17-2006, 10:10 PM
i didnt read your whole post but Focal can be had off ebay, right in that price range of those you listed as well

Trey803
09-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Please buy Rainbows I know by now almsot too many people have bought them but...first off i still have yet to read a review on the SLC's on up about any problems....Second 6spdcoupe has 0 bad comments and it fast as hell unless he dont haven any in stock. 3rd unless you just feel like it you dont have to send ridiculous power to get these to sound good and get loud....4th you get to tell people your speaker are german and since germany is the place to claim you poduct was made in . 5th there is a really hot girls on the SLC box and the box itself is veyr neat...O and yeah ebay I promote but the story behind how you met some dealer of german speakers and he hooked you up is alot more pleasing I promise Ive never wanted to tell poeple about the buying process of my car audio until the Rainbow purchase fomr 6spdcoupe

aamiryou
09-17-2006, 10:35 PM
i didnt read your whole post but Focal can be had off ebay, right in that price range of those you listed as wellWas actually just looking at some 165Ks in the clasified section for $250... how would they compare to the rainbows?
Please buy Rainbows I know by now almsot too many people have bought them but...first off i still have yet to read a review on the SLC's on up about any problems....Second 6spdcoupe has 0 bad comments and it fast as hell unless he dont haven any in stock. 3rd unless you just feel like it you dont have to send ridiculous power to get these to sound good and get loud....4th you get to tell people your speaker are german and since germany is the place to claim you poduct was made in . 5th there is a really hot girls on the SLC box and the box itself is veyr neat...O and yeah ebay I promote but the story behind how you met some dealer of german speakers and he hooked you up is alot more pleasing I promise Ive never wanted to tell poeple about the buying process of my car audio until the Rainbow purchase fomr 6spdcoupelol... sounds almost too perfect (hot girls, really? plz say they're european)

But that's actually one of the reasons I've been hesitant to buy them... because I remember going to car audio forums like a year or two ago, and CDT was the thing to buy... but now they seem hated. So, not to step on anyone's opinions, but I'm kinda worried that it's bandwagoning since most people probably don't have experience with them...

That's obviously not directed at you though, since you have the speakers and seem to love them.

With that said, I'm probably still going with the rainbows lol.

Hoodlum007
09-18-2006, 12:05 AM
i am currently using the Cdt Cl61a's and my brother heard them and swapped his Hex's for the CL61aPro25 they sound so smooth and clean.

i would suggest he Cl61aPro25 or if you are limited on magnet size check these Cdts speakers out.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4894

aamiryou
09-18-2006, 10:00 PM
i am currently using the Cdt Cl61a's and my brother heard them and swapped his Hex's for the CL61aPro25 they sound so smooth and clean.

i would suggest he Cl61aPro25 or if you are limited on magnet size check these Cdts speakers out.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4894Those were actually the first set I looked at -- last year and this year. I think if I go CDT, I'm going to get atleast the EFs. But those definately look solid man, and you gotta love that price -- glad you and your brother are loving them!