PDA

View Full Version : Front and Rear fill?

drewet88
09-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Well I'm new to the forums and I'm wondering whats THE BEST speakers I can get for my front stage and my rear fill.

My dash speaker size is 3 1/2
My rear speaker size is 6" X 9"

I really would prefer to not have to drill any holes or anything but if thats what i have to do i'll do it.

After all this I will work on my subs :D

I listen mostly to rap and I LOVE BASS but I want to be able to understand my music and not have it drowned out.

Right now I am musicless and its killing me.

I also am in the market for another HU so suggestions on those are welcome also...

price isn't to much of an object...

Mugen
09-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Are you willing to spend thousands of dollars? Because if you say BEST around here, they don't play around O.o

drewet88
09-11-2006, 03:18 AM
well.... i'm open to suggestions and I want to do it right the first (well technically second) time.

but i still would like to know what the BEST is and if its not possible I will go lower.

just remember this is my everyday driver...

T3mpest
09-11-2006, 03:47 AM
truly best would involve a lot more than speakers, basically you don't want to know what's best. Heck if I did anything just to say it's best I'd do a quarter million in electrostats. (just heard set for first time
yesterday)

drewet88
09-11-2006, 03:56 AM
I meant the best speakers for a daily driver i'm not going to be entering any competitions...whats the best bang for my buck

wat r eletrostats?

JimJ
09-11-2006, 04:15 AM
Don't worry about it...

The "best" for you would be to go with fiberglassed kickpanels or doorpods, but this is something you're either going to have to learn or have someone build for you :)

3.5" is not a very good size to deal with...

drewet88
09-11-2006, 01:46 PM
And I know 3.5 kinda *****...
I searched around on some sites and found some speakers with so-so specs but I wanted something with a lil more oomph...

kick panels...

i THOUGHT about fiberglassing some but I was gonna wait until I had my subs so I could fiberglass my box and my panels at the same time.

would that mean I wouldn't have any dash speakers
or would I have both?

what size do you think would be good?

pwnt by pat
09-11-2006, 02:05 PM
you don't HAVE to use any speakers you don't want to

Flipx99
09-11-2006, 04:19 PM
You can make some so-so door pods by stacking mdf and carpeting them. Then bolt through the door. They aren't "great" but it works.

drewet88
09-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Someone suggested the 3.5 Infinity Kappa 62.5i 2-way speakers...

has anyone dealt with these before are they worth the buy?

heyman421
09-11-2006, 04:49 PM
"best" is a word you have to get over in this hobby, or it'll drive you nuts.

you can spend thousands and thousands trying to get "best" because there's always something a little bit better, that's just barely out of reach, and then you'll never be satisfied with that, even, because you'll constantly be wondering if you wouldn't be better off with that next speaker that was "just" xx.xx dollars more.....

just decide what's good enough. Get a system that can do 30-20 with enough volume for your tastes, and be satisfied.

drewet88
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
^ THATS MY GOAL

i got a lil carried away when I said the best....

so wat bout dem speakers?

squeak9798
09-11-2006, 08:56 PM
You can do much better than Kappa's.

What exactly is your budget? What is the max you are willing to spend?

Are you willing to do kickpanels/doorpods, or do you want to stick with stock-sized speakers? (sticking with stock-sized speakers is a HUGE compromise).

Are you going to be externally amplifing, or using headunit power?

Those questions need to have a definite answer before we go much futher.

drewet88
09-12-2006, 04:07 AM
You can do much better than Kappa's.

What exactly is your budget? What is the max you are willing to spend?

Are you willing to do kickpanels/doorpods, or do you want to stick with stock-sized speakers? (sticking with stock-sized speakers is a HUGE compromise).

Are you going to be externally amplifing, or using headunit power?

Those questions need to have a definite answer before we go much futher.

I could do about $200 for the front stage $500 for the back but those numbers can always increase/decrease if they have too.

I plan on externally amplifing them, HU doesn't have enough power for me.

I wouldn't mind keeping my factory speakers, I dont know why but I think kickpanels would get in the way, and I dont really wanna mess with my doors.

I never actually seen kickpanels only read about them...
if they're not to much of a nuisance I'll do it.

Maybe I can get specs for OEM size and Kickpanels?

Flipx99
09-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I got those kappas and I think they are okay. However, the sound is greatly comprisised. Doorpods are easier to make imo than kick panels and like I mentioned, you can do an easier w/o fiberglass and make them look 'ok'.

What kind of car do you have?

drewet88
09-13-2006, 01:35 AM
1987 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency Brougham

what are doorpods?

Big Dee
09-13-2006, 01:55 AM

what are doorpods?

x2

I might consider these doorpods if I knew what they were. Care to elaborate?

T3mpest
09-13-2006, 02:31 AM
Depending on your musical tastes, you may be more pleased by turning that budget around. What types of music do you listen to?

drewet88
09-13-2006, 03:26 AM
I listen to about 3/4 rap and 1/4 R&B

500 front 200 back?
or something different name some numbers and I'll let you know if I can do it.

I've been saving for a system for a while and I am finally ready to embark on this journey so let me know what i'll need and i'll get it....

drewet88
09-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Did a search on doorpods didn't really get a definite answer but it looks like it may involve cutting the door and making it as if it came with speakers in the door.

Wouldn't that involve re-routing speaker wires?

And I did some more searching on kick-panels, same theory just not attached to the door?

Please ignore my ingnorance

audiolife
09-14-2006, 10:19 AM
if you want your car to sound as good as a home set up do kicks if you want louder(option of posibly larger speakers) with a compromised sound stage go with the doors.

drewet88
09-15-2006, 03:36 AM
I dont want compromised sound.

Someone told me it would be a good idea to do my dash speakers AND the kicks.
He said if I angeled them correctly it would be like a concert hall and sound really good.

True?

If so I would like to do that.
If not I'm going to slap him..

audiolife
09-15-2006, 08:09 AM
totally would ruin your stage clarity without some serious time alignment(which only sounds good at 1 point in the car). you do the kicks right your stage heigth is correct and sounds better all over.

squeak9798
09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I dont want compromised sound.

Someone told me it would be a good idea to do my dash speakers AND the kicks.
He said if I angeled them correctly it would be like a concert hall and sound really good.

True?

If so I would like to do that.
If not I'm going to slap him..

Slap him.

Please don't do that.

drewet88
09-15-2006, 09:48 PM
alright I'll slap him.

so if i do any customization i'll do kick panels.

so can i PLEASE get some suggestion for kick panel speakers
o and some dash speakers just in case..

audiolife
09-15-2006, 10:37 PM
if you need dash speakers you didnt try different positions/angles for the kick. i have 5.25" memphis syncs in my kicks. the tweeter is the mids dust cap literally and my staging is pretty solid.everyone looks at my dash for speakers and there is nothing there. only "flaw" i see is if you like something real bright (heavy on axis sounding)

drewet88
09-16-2006, 04:28 AM
the only reason i said i might need suggestions on dash speakers is the fact that i never made kicks before.

i heard it wasn't that different then building a sub box.
but i can only build a sub box if i have good plans.
last time i tried to wing it it sounded horrible.

so if the kicks i made sound like crap i was going to just go back to dash speakers.

o and i have no idea on what "heavy on axis sounding" means. But if i had to take a guess i would think it meant high-pitched tones? If so I would have to say yes. I like to be able to hear a variety of sounds.

Sorry for the long post, I dont know how clear it actually is. I've been up for about 19hrs. d**n espresso

audiolife
09-16-2006, 08:47 AM
think of on axis as a straight shot towards your ears

saywhat?
09-16-2006, 08:56 AM
rears not really needed IMO

drewet88
09-16-2006, 04:10 PM
think of on axis as a straight shot towards your ears

no thats okay. i kinda want the music to be enjoyable for everyone, not just on me.
went to my local stereo store and they finance, and my credit is pretty good, so the budget doesn't really matter at this time.

so lets get some suggestions for dash speakers and kick panels.
if i get lazy i might just stick with the dash speakers but if i can use up some vacation hours from work i'll make the kicks.
i'll have to wait til friday to see which one i'm doing :crap:

o and he also advised against me making my own kick panels he said "if you dont make them right your speakers will blow" is this true? or is he full of it?

HE THEN TRIED TO GET ME TO BUY SOME SO I HAVE A FEELING HE'S FULL OF IT.

rears not really needed IMO

if i rode by myself i would agree but i'll most likely always have someone in the back so i'll need the rear fill or i'll have to listen to them b***h.

audiolife
09-17-2006, 12:32 AM
:eyebrow:

drewet88
09-17-2006, 02:24 AM
:/

drewet88
09-17-2006, 04:10 AM
alright i wasn't myself in my long post with multiple quotes (beer)

to make it more clear cuz i confused myself trying to read whatever i was trying to say.

i went to the local stereo place and asked him about kicks and he said if i make them i'll mess up and blow my speakers, but if i buy some that he makes in the shop i'll have a warranty and they'll b the best sounding kicks around. screw that, if someone gives me plans i can make them. no problem.

o and as of axis, i like to hear my highs but i dont want them completely focused on my ears.

i'll prob start off wit some dash speakers while i'm making my kicks cuz i need sound real soon like by wed. and when i make my kicks i'll pull them out and give them to my girl cuz she just blew her stock speakers in her camaro.

hope thats a lil clearer.
i'm a lil woozy off or some rossi right now.

nap time

-droopy

luvinthebass
09-17-2006, 06:32 AM
Just install what YOU think is best cuz it's YOU'RE ears and YOU'RE system, who cares what anyone else thinks of it, make it the way YOU want it and you should be satisfied. :D

drewet88
09-17-2006, 04:58 PM
^ put it that way and i'll just say. i'll most likely try and keep the factory look so i doubt i go wit kicks.

and since i know 3.5 is a hard size to work wit and crutchfield doesn't really have a big selection. i dont know where to go besides the stereo places around here and they all suggest these kickers http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=967

other than that i only know about subs.
i wanted 2 15s but i have a feeling i wouldn't have trunk space left but if i could get away with it i would. since i need trunk space i'll prob go with 2 12's @ least

drewet88
09-17-2006, 05:38 PM
i got 2 12's a amp and a full wiring kit and his HU for free cuz he just upgraded his system.

now i gotta see if i want to keep these or sell them :)

MrSwiss
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
And I know 3.5 kinda *****...
I searched around on some sites and found some speakers with so-so specs but I wanted something with a lil more oomph...

kick panels...

i THOUGHT about fiberglassing some but I was gonna wait until I had my subs so I could fiberglass my box and my panels at the same time.

would that mean I wouldn't have any dash speakers
or would I have both?

what size do you think would be good?

yes u can have door pods and front speakers. i have a 6 speaker setup in my car(4 installed, making door pods for the other 2). all of them running off an external amp and just the 4 speakers right now sound absolutely awesome. i can turn them all the way up and they sound awesome. it just takes lots of planning.

good luck with your system.

drewet88
09-18-2006, 04:16 AM
thanks.

i'm getting a lot of help and hopefully soon i wont b in silence anymore.

87Delta
09-18-2006, 03:29 PM

I registered just to post this. I drive a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale (exact same car except for the tail-lights) and you can fit speakers in the door with ease. There is about 2 inches worth of space in between the glass and the mounting surface. I'll post pictures of my doors with my Polk DB650's in them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/turneras/Picture078.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/turneras/Picture076.jpg

Yes, I realize the grilles are on there a little bit wrong, still an on-going project.

Doors are a pain to get wire through, but you can do it. Drivers side is a major pain, but like I sad before, you can manage. The doorpanels look a little bit crude, I just threw everything together in an hour. It can be done, just get a speaker with a monting debth at or less the 2 inches.

I made everything look a little bit better and have less then 2 hours into the project. If you have any questions, just let me know, I'll be very willing to help. I'll tell ya, the 6 1/2's sound 100% better then ANY 3 1/2's in the dash.

drewet88
09-18-2006, 08:24 PM
**** thats nice

what did u do with the dash speakers?
you took them out?

I was thinking about doing that but i heard kicks were better.

87Delta
09-18-2006, 09:17 PM
what did u do with the dash speakers?
you took them out?

Yup, took them out, they were horrible sounding, even for aftermarket ones. Cheap L/A Bolts :laugh: I would never go back to dash speakers, just doesn't sound right to me, although they might sound ok to others.

drewet88
09-19-2006, 03:55 AM
i dont think i would be able to do a good job like that. you made it look as if the speakers belonged there.

thats why i comtemplated keeping the dash or the kicks, i dont feel comfortable cutting up my doors cuz i have a feeling i would mess somethin up. so now i have to see if i'm going to make kicks or try and keep it looking original.

to bad i have a feeling the dash speakers will sound like crap :(