PDA

View Full Version : MDF is hazardous!

ultimate157
09-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I was curious and did a google search for MDF and this is what turned up:

Disadvantages: -MDF can be dangerous to use if the correct safety precautions are not taken. MDF contains a substance called urea formaldehyde, which may be released from the material through cutting and sanding. Urea formaldehyde may cause irritation to the eyes and lungs. Proper ventilation is required when using it and facemasks are needed when sanding or cutting MDF with machinery. The dust produced when machining MDF is very dangerous. Masks and goggles should always be worn at all times. Due to the fact that MDF contains a great deal of glue the cutting edges of your tools will blunt very quickly.

Found that interesting to read... Anyone heard of this before?

skadude016
09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
im dead...

smd4life
09-09-2006, 10:03 PM
i know when i cut\sand it, my eye's are itchy, but i thought it was just the dust in the air and paid no attention

thatsgonnahurt
09-09-2006, 10:03 PM
fyi, wood dust is classified as a carcinogen.

heyman421
09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
formaldehyde's in MDF, masonite, fiberboard, particle board, and pretty much any other pressed pulp-based product.

that's why you feel so good after you finish a new box.

it's the wet kicking in.

bibby
09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I know people that have smoke pot laced in formaldehyde. They said that it was like being paralized. I told them they were ****ing stupid. :(

heyman421
09-09-2006, 10:08 PM
my boss told me he tried it once back when he was heavy into drugs

he said

" i was so ****ed up that i had to go through the drivethrough to get beer, cause i couldn't get out of my car"

too ****ed up to stand, but fine to drive to the drivethrough? :eek:

I work with some characters, man :uhoh:

and if he's been there and done that, you know there's people out there doing the same thing right now.........

this world is ****ed up

onefalsemove
09-09-2006, 10:14 PM
yeah I got a quarter pound of some **** that was dipped, cured, and chopped in pure formaldehyde. Pure black, tasted like ****, but it ****ed you up beyond belief, I ended up keeping 2 or 3 joints and sold the rest for $400

springy101
09-09-2006, 10:15 PM
my boss told me he tried it once back when he was heavy into drugs

he said

" i was so ****ed up that i had to go through the drivethrough to get beer, cause i couldn't get out of my car"

too ****ed up to stand, but fine to drive to the drivethrough? :eek:

I work with some characters, man :uhoh:

and if he's been there and done that, you know there's people out there doing the same thing right now.........

this world is ****ed up
"holy **** guys im so high i cant even stand up, lets hop in the car and go get some beer!"

azbass
09-09-2006, 10:16 PM
the dust it very flamable too... good times....

johnson
09-09-2006, 10:17 PM
http://www.hostmypiconline.com/images/uvaquote5.jpg

dfresh50
10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
me and my boy call that **** "the drip" because the next couple days after we make a box we be hockin that **** up.

tommyk90
10-11-2006, 03:57 PM
me and my boy call that **** "the drip" because the next couple days after we make a box we be hockin that **** up.

x2.

I always end up coughing some of it up or blowing it out of my nose. :crap:

Thats one other nice thing about working with birch, WAAAAAAY less dusty.

Fattony911
10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
i know when i cut\sand it, my eye's are itchy, but i thought it was just the dust in the air and paid no attention

me too, i alwyas thought it was just saw dust in my eyes WTF!

PV Audio
10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Everyone NEEDS to wear a mask. I didn't use to, and now I'm stuck with a chronic cough that will never go away basically. You can't just open your lungs and scoop it out. Same stuff happens to painters, so just be careful.

Lowjacker
10-11-2006, 05:25 PM
you should always wear goggles and a dust mask when cutting anything......this is a prime example as to why............:D

coolahan
10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
i've been a smoker for a long time i don't think a little bit more of wierd chemicals is gonna hurt me.. :laugh: :laugh:

joetama
10-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Everyone NEEDS to wear a mask. I didn't use to, and now I'm stuck with a chronic cough that will never go away basically. You can't just open your lungs and scoop it out. Same stuff happens to painters, so just be careful.

First off your an idiot... That **** doesn't stay in your lungs it gets desolved. If it stayed in your lungs you would not be able to breath and would sufficate to death.

i've been a smoker for a long time i don't think a little bit more of wierd chemicals is gonna hurt me.. :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with you there man....

I'm sure you are going to run into worse things to breath just walking down the road. It pisses me off the stupid things people worry about, when it's your time it's your time and there is nothing you can do about it!

"OMG OMG OMG I MIGHT GET SICK FROM MDF!!!" maybe if you worked in the ****ing mill....

klepto
10-11-2006, 06:15 PM
I tend to not ear eye/mouth protection when cutting MDF. My eyes get really red and irritated. Eye protection and some mouht protection from now on. To bad too because i like the smell of freshly cut MDF :D

joetama
10-11-2006, 06:57 PM
^^^^^^^^^

MDF junkie.....

PV Audio
10-11-2006, 08:11 PM
First off your an idiot... That **** doesn't stay in your lungs it gets desolved. If it stayed in your lungs you would not be able to breath and would sufficate to death.

:uhoh:
Let's see, who should I believe? You, or my father who's a lung doctor? Hmmm....tough call :uhoh:

Your body attacks the particles, which creates phlegm which sits in the bottom of your lungs. THAT, does not come out as you cannot break it up and loosen it enough to cough it out. Thank you.

joetama
10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Let's see, who should I believe? You, or my father who's a lung doctor? Hmmm....tough call :uhoh:

Your body attacks the particles, which creates phlegm which sits in the bottom of your lungs. THAT, does not come out as you cannot break it up and loosen it enough to cough it out. Thank you.

I don't trust doctors.... And avoid them at all costs...

kotec123
10-11-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't trust doctors.... And avoid them at all costs...

haha as seen by your ignorance towards FACTUAL information..... yes it does stay there forever

heyman421
10-11-2006, 08:19 PM
i love old posts, they bring back memories.

and i found out since this thread started, that weed isn't actually laced with formeldahyde.

it's a misconception, because a slang term for PCP is embalming fluid, which is how the whole rumor got started.

joetama
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Well then... I sit corrected.... It does stay there forever...

yne721
10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
already knew this. I work with MDF almost everyday from the months of Aug. - Jan.

but good looking out

joetama
10-11-2006, 08:28 PM

I'm glad that you would consider my opinion and it would be a touch call which is right. Me or a doctor... Just messing with you now....

yne721
10-11-2006, 08:28 PM

I agree with you there man....

I'm sure you are going to run into worse things to breath just walking down the road. It pisses me off the stupid things people worry about, when it's your time it's your time and there is nothing you can do about it!

"OMG OMG OMG I MIGHT GET SICK FROM MDF!!!" maybe if you worked in the ****ing mill....

lol wow you're an idiot.

joetama
10-11-2006, 08:34 PM
lol wow you're an idiot.

Thanks dude... I do my best... But does GOFY mean anything to you?

yne721
10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks dude... I do my best... But does GOFY mean anything to you?

nope sorry :D

joetama
10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
nope sorry :D

Well that's too bad.... You going to wear a fun mask next time you cut or sand MDF? Cause I'm sure you will look super ghey in it....

yne721
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Well that's too bad.... You going to wear a fun mask next time you cut or sand MDF? Cause I'm sure you will look super ghey in it....

i paint displays and cars for a living, so i'm pretty much wearing a respirator when i'm at work. i'd rather look gay at work where nobody of importance will see me, than cough up nasty bondo/mdf/primer dust when i'm hanging out with my friends.

joetama
10-11-2006, 08:43 PM
i paint displays and cars for a living, so i'm pretty much wearing a respirator when i'm at work. i'd rather look gay at work where nobody of importance will see me, than cough up nasty bondo/mdf/primer dust when i'm hanging out with my friends.

Well you would fit in with your friends more because I'm sure they are coughing up plenty of stuff....

PV Audio
10-11-2006, 08:54 PM
B&W, where did/do you go to college at?

yne721
10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Well you would fit in with your friends more because I'm sure they are coughing up plenty of stuff....

is that supposed to be an insult? you're trash.

joetama
10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
B&W, where did/do you go to college at?

University of Cincinnati... Why do you ask?

is that supposed to be an insult? you're trash.

Haha.... Don't get all butt hurt jesus...

PV Audio
10-11-2006, 09:24 PM

:laugh: :laugh:

Dear David:

Congratulations, a short while ago, you were offered admission to the University of Cincinnati. We are excited at the prospect of including you among our Mechanical Engineering majors in Autumn 2007.
We'll be even closer :naughty:

yne721
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM

daddy stop my butt hurts

baseballer1100
10-11-2006, 11:21 PM

My mom went there. I might go there do you suggest?

T3mpest
10-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I saw a thing on formladahyde laced weed on CSI! It said they used it to let the paper burn longer. The actual street term isnt' referring to the actual chemical, but I wonder if true formaldahyde would let it burn longer?

joetama
10-12-2006, 12:23 AM
:laugh: :laugh:

We'll be even closer :naughty:

Wait are you serious????

daddy stop my butt hurts

No daddy your on my cigarettes....

My mom went there. I might go there do you suggest?

Not too bad of a school... I like it now that I'm out of EE... Much more time to do things I need to do...

NightHawkFG
10-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I know people that have smoke pot laced in formaldehyde. They said that it was like being paralized. I told them they were ****ing stupid. :(

you smoke anything that is laced formaldahyde is not good. I remeber when i was in highschool there was this guy who smoked wet(pot & Formaldahyde) every day adn one day he had to much and lost it. he end up gutting his pit bull, destroying is stuff. The lesson is DONT SmMOKE WET....

PV Audio
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Wait are you serious????

I am 100% serious :laugh:

Undergraduate Application Status Checking

David xxxxxx , you are applying as a Freshman student for the Autumn 2007 term.

Congratulations!

You have been accepted to the University of Cincinnati into the following degree program:

Program: Mechanical Engineering
Degree: Bachelor of Science in Mech Engr - 20
College: College of Engineering

Classes begin on Wednesday, September 19, 2007.

We look forward to your enrollment at UC. To reserve your place, please complete the following three simple steps.

disturbedfuel15
10-12-2006, 07:23 PM
This should be a sticky, of course after it is cleaned up a bit :eyebrow:

photocrazy8
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
im dead...

x2 :(

OldOneEye
10-13-2006, 11:18 PM
You know what is sad, coffee mate is flamable too (sprinkle a little of it over an lit lighter, surprising). I think regular wooddust is also the same deal (so it really isn't the glues, resins, etc. that makes it bad, its the fact that any foreign substance going where it isn't supposed to go is bad.

the dust it very flamable too... good times....

I know everyone is screaming about how bad this stuff is, but there is a reason the inside of our noses and mouths aren't bone dry and have mucus and saliva. Its to catch some of this crap before it goes down into your lungs.

Juan