PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade to a 3-way

ninjatek
09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Currently have the focal 2-way listed in my sig... they are installed in kick panels...

I have them hooked up to a 4channel Alpine amp that is 70x4 rms, on the front channel and i have infinity kappa 6x9's on the rear channel... rear fill is way too much . I want to power the 6x9's off the HU, and bridge the 4 channel amp to a 2 channel and power a 3way off of that... This way I have 200x2 rms going to my front stage and less power going to the rear.

Sound quality is fine with the Focals, but they just arent loud enough and I have just over the recommended amount of power to them... I was thinking instead of a 5.25+1, I would do 6.5+4+1, with the 6.5's in the doors, the 4's and 1's in the kicks.

Any recommendations on a product line? I don't want to spend any more than $800.... and will be satisfied with anything with SQ on par with the focals..

I was looking at these

link (http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1094&CFID=1932098&CFTOKEN=bcd576047fd05d9-94B702E0-1422-7C6E-5028B5D9AC5D6D0D)

pik
09-09-2006, 07:58 PM
I have used DLS 3-ways, I did the 6's in the doors, dome mid and tweet in Q-logic kick panels, (didn't have to worry about the open back cuz the dome is sealed) I liked them but could never get them to shine like I could with a a normal 2 way set, maybe it was power related, i don't know, but I just think my car was to cramped for the sound. do you have any pics of your dash/front or your car? never heard any CDT's at all so i can't honestly comment,

ninjatek
09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
I have used DLS 3-ways, I did the 6's in the doors, dome mid and tweet in Q-logic kick panels, (didn't have to worry about the open back cuz the dome is sealed) I liked them but could never get them to shine like I could with a a normal 2 way set, maybe it was power related, i don't know, but I just think my car was to cramped for the sound. do you have any pics of your dash/front or your car? never heard any CDT's at all so i can't honestly comment,

how much power were you pushing? i have 200x2 rms to offer.... same setup too, 6 in doors, 4 and tweet in qlogic kicks....

alteraudiousa
09-09-2006, 08:47 PM
just see if you can find the midrange from the K2 series and add it in and run that one active. Or get the Dayton Reference 8in and run that one active along side the 2way Focal set.

ninjatek
09-09-2006, 09:06 PM
just see if you can find the midrange from the K2 series and add it in and run that one active. Or get the Dayton Reference 8in and run that one active along side the 2way Focal set.

That crossed my mind, but the 5.25's are really too deep for my kicks and I want to get a 4" in there so I have more room to angle it.

Also, can't do 8" because I dont have anywhere to put them...

I thought about going active instead because i know its more efficient wiht power, but with the way impedances will match up, I wont be fulling utilizing the amps capabilities unless I present it with a 4 ohm load at 2 channels.. the components are already 4 ohms....

not only that, I've had them for a few years now, and have abused the hell out of them (first year was w/o an amp just HU power)

I'm wanting to start over.....

azbass
09-09-2006, 09:20 PM
dynaudio.

joek86
09-09-2006, 09:21 PM

Focal has a 165KEB which is an extended bass kit for the K2P 2 way componemt set up. It comes with a passive crossover that is to be used if the 3 way system is not active and two 6.5" woofers. I am thinking is using the woofers active, leaving the components to handle 300Hz and above. I am going to use the Crossovers in my Audiocontrol to accomplish this.

Joe

ninjatek
09-09-2006, 09:26 PM
ok, i appreciate the advice, but my goal is here is to discuss new, complete 3way component sets.... I've heard some good things about CDT, which is why i mentioned that set...

azbass
09-09-2006, 09:26 PM
dynaudio.