PDA

View Full Version : Would you amp these?

Intercooler
09-08-2006, 02:45 PM
6x9 SL-95 Bostons. I am trying to steer away from a 5-channel amp and someone said you could just feed head unit power (in my case 17W RMS) to the rears and use a four channel to drive the sub (bridged) and components. What do you think? I would imagine the Bostons should play just fine on that power as fill if this is possible but I have never done it this way so I don't know (maybe distortion when the system is turned up this way?)

Intercooler
09-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Seems these Pioneers go lowest: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Gh6KuvOuEPU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52300&I=130TSD691R

I also need a set of 6.5" Coaxials for the front doors since I decided against spending on an amp. Any suggestions?

Should play okay off the HU shouldn't it?

addisdar
09-10-2006, 12:07 AM
It will sound ok. But much better with an amp.

Intercooler
09-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Maybe in the future. I really want to nail the 6x9's down and find some 6.5's for my Daughter's car to start with. I started totalling up how much I would be dumping in her system to amp everything and run components/sub and even trying to do it on a budget the amount was getting up there. For that reason I decided since I already bought her a HU for X-mas that I would find the final 6x9's and 6.5 Coaxials and let her amp the 6x9's and change to a 6.5 component set and sub later.

I started out with the first vehicle I owned having just AM/FM and crappy everything. She will at least have a couple starting pieces that she can add on to... with her own funds!

zachzchw
09-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Maybe in the future. I really want to nail the 6x9's down and find some 6.5's for my Daughter's car to start with. I started totalling up how much I would be dumping in her system to amp everything and run components/sub and even trying to do it on a budget the amount was getting up there. For that reason I decided since I already bought her a HU for X-mas that I would find the final 6x9's and 6.5 Coaxials and let her amp the 6x9's and change to a 6.5 component set and sub later.

I started out with the first vehicle I owned having just AM/FM and crappy everything. She will at least have a couple starting pieces that she can add on to... with her own funds!

Id amp the 6.5"s (assuming they are in the front) before installing/amping 6 x 9s.

addisdar
09-10-2006, 12:51 AM

That is better than my parents ever did for me. She'll love it then.

Intercooler
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Any suggestions on a real good 6.5" Coax to throw in there with those 6x9's on HU power? Get those and I am done for X-mas.

CBRworm
09-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I would amp everything. Even a cheap amp will be better than H/U power.

But it's also true that you don't want to deafen your kids. I always had to keep my system hidden from my parents - my dad believed that you should not listen to the radio while you drive - too much of a distraction. I got really good at stealth installs.

Intercooler
09-10-2006, 09:27 PM
My thoughts too. She doesn't have her license yet... only the permit. I am thinking the more "Good Stuff" I put in the more it may take her mind off driving. She needed a decent HU... got it... speakers kind of **** so upgrading those a little but think I will call it quits there. Maybe next Christmas after she has driven accident and ticket free I will upgrade her.

addisdar
09-10-2006, 10:37 PM
What is your budget on coaxs? All the really good ones I can think of run about 110.

Intercooler
09-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Got the 6x9 Pioneers nailed at $100. The HU was $150 so that would make it so I can spend $150 on the door 6.5 Coaxs. I would like to get something that will do it all in the doors off HU power and sound good.

JimJ
09-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Maybe next Christmas after she has driven accident and ticket free I will upgrade her.

Good idea.

You're buying her a car? That's already more than my parents ever did :)

Intercooler
09-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Done. I bought her a 1995 Cavalier with 63k original on it. I actually kind of like her car just the radio and speakers ****. The stereo stuff is all Christmas presents so she will about have her official license (have to drive 60 hours with an adult and be 16.5) to get it. She's spoiled. I have to since her Mother won't help her with a **** thing.