PDA

View Full Version : dynaudio mw170 and soundstream reference componenets

pwnt by pat
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
I was just doing some browsing and came across these:
http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/mobile/mw170.php
http://www.soundstream.com/components-reference.htm

power handeling, size, shape are all the same. I'm wondering if there's more going on here that I don't know about? I couldn't find any "technical" details about the SS comp set however.

Anyone know anything?

6spdcoupe
09-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Why not just the full Dyn set? I can assure you that you wouldnt be dissapointed with the MW170s. :)

pwnt by pat
09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I already own max fidelidy's reproduction of the mw170s. I was just pointing out that the soundstream design looks VERY similar.

Blazemore
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
I was just doing some browsing and came across these:
http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/mobile/mw170.php
http://www.soundstream.com/components-reference.htm

power handeling, size, shape are all the same. I'm wondering if there's more going on here that I don't know about? I couldn't find any "technical" details about the SS comp set however.

Anyone know anything?

Been searching for the answer, without any luck. I've only found one person to own both sets, and he said they're the same (grain of salt). But there is a decent price difference between the two.

3.5Max6spd
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
I might come down to build quality differences, Soundstream is known these days for far east production and could explain price differences.. Remember Dynaudio is an OEM'r as well, and have conceptualized everything you see in their drivers as far as parts. So only thing left to speculate is that by the basket/frame they look 'alike'.

I see the SS uses a paper cone vs the mw170's patented poly cone.

Blazemore
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
So SS might have copied the design of the mw170 but in reality the materials used and build quailty could be very different?

3.5Max6spd
09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
So SS might have copied the design of the mw170 but in reality the materials used and build quailty could be very different?

Remember Morel uses similar parts in their drivers as well.

They could have purchased the parts, they could had Dyn design the speaker (or Morel Israel-they OEM too), they could've designed the speakers themselves-likely build'm overseas(Thats what DLS does by Morel designs))...who knows. What it is very unlikely is that Dyn themselves, built their speakers for them and SS be able to sell them at much lower price points than they themselves can sell their own.
Dyns production standards are second to none. You can ask a dealer for a DVD Tour of the company- might even be able to download it on their website. If you saw what goes down into the making of a Dyn speaker- you would much better appreciate the pricetag.

Now lets clear this out...the Soundstream set uses a 6-6.5" woofer. the mw170 is by Dyns acct a 8" (more like an oversized 7"). No comparison, these cant be the same.

Also note the SS set uses a 3500hz 18db slope on that set between tweet and mid in a 2way set. The mw170 ONLY comes in the 3way System 360 set and likely cant play that high very well being an oversized 7" close to 8". Dyn uses a 700hz LP on their xover for them. Dyn does not package mw170's in a 2way set.

xtremekustomz
09-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Remember Morel uses similar parts in their drivers as well.

They could have purchased the parts, they could had Dyn design the speaker (or Morel Israel-they OEM too), they could've designed the speakers themselves-likely build'm overseas(Thats what DLS does by Morel designs))...who knows. What it is very unlikely is that Dyn themselves, built their speakers for them and SS be able to sell them at much lower price points than they themselves can sell their own.
Dyns production standards are second to none. You can ask a dealer for a DVD Tour of the company- might even be able to download it on their website. If you saw what goes down into the making of a Dyn speaker- you would much better appreciate the pricetag.

Now lets clear this out...the Soundstream set uses a 6-6.5" woofer. the mw170 is by Dyns acct a 8" (more like an oversized 7"). No comparison, these cant be the same.

Also note the SS set uses a 3500hz 18db slope on that set between tweet and mid in a 2way set. The mw170 ONLY comes in the 3way System 360 set and likely cant play that high very well being an oversized 7" close to 8". Dyn uses a 700hz LP on their xover for them. Dyn does not package mw170's in a 2way set.

Cadence also has a new component line out that uses the same driver as the Dynaudio.

AnGeLiCbOrIs
09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I have experience with the Dynaudio, Cadence CVL, and the Soundstream. The Dynaudio was the original one and is made in Belgium. The Cadence and SoundStream are both from China and actually share a basket. Do not be fooled that they are the same speaker, however. The Cadence is made of better components such as magnet, VC, spider, etc. The Cadence kit also comes with aluminum housed tweeters and a far superior crossover. This explains the higher price of the Cadence component kits. I have heard all three components and can honestly say that currently the Cadence CVLs are the best of them. This was not always true. Originally Cadence could not reach the sound perfection of the Dynaudio (although admittedly the Dynaudio kit far more expensive). For 2006, however, Cadence reengineered the mids and tweeters and now I say they are the best of the three.

Hope this helps clarify.

6spdcoupe
09-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I have experience with the Dynaudio, Cadence CVL, and the Soundstream. The Dynaudio was the original one and is made in Belgium. The Cadence and SoundStream are both from China and actually share a basket. Do not be fooled that they are the same speaker, however. The Cadence is made of better components such as magnet, VC, spider, etc. The Cadence kit also comes with aluminum housed tweeters and a far superior crossover. This explains the higher price of the Cadence component kits. I have heard all three components and can honestly say that currently the Cadence CVLs are the best of them. This was not always true. Originally Cadence could not reach the sound perfection of the Dynaudio (although admittedly the Dynaudio kit far more expensive). For 2006, however, Cadence reengineered the mids and tweeters and now I say they are the best of the three.

Hope this helps clarify.

The fact that your somehow affiliated with Cadence wouldnt shape your opinion now would it?

95stroked1500
09-18-2006, 12:39 AM
way, way back in the day (20 years? +/-) there were 3 engineers (if i remember right) for dyn. then one broke off and started morel. which is why there is so many similarities there.

as to china, unfortunately, they let everyone else do all the hard work and brains behind developing something great. then they reverse engineer it the best they can and make knock offs under their slave labor and inferior material parts. then undersell other peoples hard blood and sweat work. you should see those wolves at c.e.s.. running around like secret spies taking pictures, trying to pick other companies engineers brains,...... it's distgusting.

dynaudio is in denmark. and the dvd tour of their factory and explanation of their philosophy is a good watch.

true as i know, DLS took morel design and went to the orient. along with genesis design on amps. that's why you can get such a great amp for less than some others.

anyday, dyns new components should be available. stronger mid bass, more throw, new tweeters.

6spdcoupe
09-18-2006, 12:42 AM
way, way back in the day (20 years? +/-) there were 3 engineers (if i remember right) for dyn. then one broke off and started morel. which is why there is so many similarities there.

as to china, unfortunately, they let everyone else do all the hard work and brains behind developing something great. then they reverse engineer it the best they can and make knock offs under their slave labor and inferior material parts. then undersell other peoples hard blood and sweat work. you should see those wolves at c.e.s.. running around like secret spies taking pictures, trying to pick other companies engineers brains,...... it's distgusting.

dynaudio is in denmark. and the dvd tour of their factory and explanation of their philosophy is a good watch.

true as i know, DLS took morel design and went to the orient. along with genesis design on amps. that's why you can get such a great amp for less than some others.

anyday, dyns new components should be available. stronger mid bass, more throw, new tweeters.

LoL I didnt even see that he said Belgium. Good call.

Yes that DVD is excellent. Unfortunately I give alot more out than I sell sets. :(

Towncar
09-18-2006, 12:53 AM
edit

AnGeLiCbOrIs
09-18-2006, 02:10 AM
The fact that your somehow affiliated with Cadence wouldnt shape your opinion now would it?

Actually, it would! :laugh:

However, I did spend this past summer in China and I saw or myself that the working conditions in (at least the Cadence) factory are not bad at all. The hours are pretty long, especially during the weekly late shift, but all the factory floors have air conditioning and there are lots of recreational activities available outside of work such as movies and basketball. The pay would seem rather meager to an outsider, but considering the cost and standard of living it's pretty good. Everyone was really nice after they got over the fact that I was a yangguizi, foreign devil, and were eager to help me study Mandarin.
I can not say that the standards in the Cadence factory are the same as the other Chinese factories since a) this factory is Taiwanese so it has higher standards and b) since I only saw about two or three other factories.

Hope this post is interesting for y'all. If anyone has any questions about any related stuff post here or send me a PM.