PDA

View Full Version : Barely any sound coming from my home stereo reciever

Tempe
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
It is a 1998 or 1999 Kenwood model. I've had it for a number of years; I got it second-hand for free after the original owner gave up on the PITA to operate unit.

It has been running fine for some time for me. The other night I was watching a movie. The sound played fine. Yesterday I woke up to no sound. If you really crank it up you kinda hear some stuff coming out of the right tweeter. That is it.

The volume display is attenuator-style (going in negative numbers all the way to zero). Normal listening level for watching TV is -50. I crank it all the way to -20 and I can barely hear something coming from the right tweeter. So the unit plays music or whatever audio is presented to it. You just can barely hear it. I also had my video outputs of the cable box and dvd player running through the reciever and then going to my tv. The video output of the reciever is fine.

If anyone is curious, it is the Kenwood VR-2090 (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/Kenwood/PRD_118636_2718crx.aspx). Any help would be appreciated.

Tempe

benvaldi88
09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
how old of rca's are you using? sometimes the wire starts to come out and doesn't give off a clean single..

Tempe
09-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Rochelle... I used to live in DeKalb!

This happenes with ALL sound inputs, including FM radio (no RCAs involved).

Tempe

benvaldi88
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
ohh have you checked the speaker terminals for any loose components?

Tempe
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I've tried all I can think of. There are 5 fuses inside. One is good. The other will need plastic tweezers to get them out.

Serviced? I got the unit for free. My brother in law got sick of the unit as it IS a huge pita to use and set up. Nowadays you can something better than what I currently have (and much easier to use) for about $200. I was just about to build some new DIY speakers. I guess those will be put later on the list of things to do if the fuses are not the problem :(

Tempe

brandontw
09-05-2006, 06:40 PM
This is probably obvious and you probly checked it but im just making sure...

most recievers have a wierd "Tape" button and if its pushed it will make the reciever have barely any sound come out.. and usually a "tape 1"
light or something is lit. I do that one in a wile with a kenwood at my house and it always gets me..

Tempe
09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/Temp/2090a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/Tempe/Temp/2090b.jpg

I noticed the light on in the front of the unit. I figured what is this? I luckily had the owner's manual. It said something about a tape monitor. All I did was go in the remote, choose Tape 2 as the input, and the sound reappeared. Odd http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/confused.gif

Thanks to all who helped!

Tempe

brandontw
09-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Am i good or what???? hells yeah!! just what i thought it was

joetama
09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
The sound you heard in the tweeter was noise bleeding over from the other channels...... Booo crappy channel seperation....

Tempe
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM
But this was like THE top of the line model from Kenwood less than a decade ago :p

JimJ
09-10-2006, 12:29 PM
The sound you heard in the tweeter was noise bleeding over from the other channels...... Booo crappy channel seperation....

Infinite channel seperation FTW...:)

joetama
09-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Infinite channel seperation FTW...:)

Seperate Mono blocks is about as close are you are going to get with that too... LOL....

joetama
09-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Actually I think greater than 100db would be ok..... But if he hears noise like that it's prolly in the high 60's or maybe 70's which is very crappy.....

heyman421
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Probably some sloppy repair work on one of the channels, and is catching interference.

The only amplifier i've ever owned that had that much channel to channel interference was a sony xplod amp, that i found out upon delivery wasn't even an xplod, but a chinese knockoff called an xblode, and even that was only noticeable if i faded all the way to one side or the other, i could hear faint music coming from the opposite channels.

Probably just some experimental diy handywork, right there.

joetama
09-12-2006, 02:57 AM
Well you know us crazy mofos.... That just won't due lol.....

JimJ
09-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Monoblocked Xplods?

:D

joetama
09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Uhhh.... I am thinking that would be totally not a good thing......