PDA

View Full Version : is this true

brazybrew115
09-05-2006, 09:16 AM
higher tuning is louder but sounds worse, and lower tuning isnt as loud and has better sound quality

Johnny Drama
09-05-2006, 10:06 AM
higher tuning is louder but sounds worse, and lower tuning isnt as loud and has better sound quality

Yes and no.

Higher tuned "should" be louder.
Lower tuned will keep the frequency range more balanced then a higher tuned box. The peak will be minimalized.

Higher tuned box will not sound "better or worse" but it will drop off in loudness below the tuning faster then a ported box tuned lower.
For example...
A box tuned to 40hz is going to start unloading in the mid to low 30hz range. At this point you risk ruining the sub.
A box tuned to 30hz should play fine into the low 20hz range provided your subs is up to it.

With all of that said...its all up to personal preferences. Some like the higher tuning cause most music rarely sees low 30hz notes. Some like the lower tuning for frequency balance.

Pyro_By_Nature
09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
One thing to note, a lot of the times, lower tuned sounds louder to the ear.

It's all a matter of personal preference really.I've had several boxes tuned high 28's and low 30's, and I didn't like them that much.I personally like the sound of boxes a little on the smaller side, tuned higher (most of the time).Mostly due to my taste in music.

Just play with different boxes, all that I can suggest.Play around until you find the one you like.

80INCHES
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM

depending on the type of box
if u tune high on a ported box u sacrifice low end for output
and if u tune it low vice versa

in a 4th order bandpass situation u have to tune in the middle of the bandwidth...so its a 70% chance its going to be tuned in the 50-60hz range
and in that range (depending on design) can still hit the lows well but onyl with in the bandwith that it was designed for

helotaxi
09-05-2006, 01:04 PM
A whole lot depends on the sub as well and how it interacts with the particular volume and tuning in question. For every sub there is an optimal box volume and tuning for the most accurate sound. Any deviation from that optimum will reduce the accuracy of the sub. For some subs, the optimal tuning falls into what most consider a high range only suitable for SPL. For these subs tuning "low" will severly degrade the accuracy.

My basic point is that making a general statement means that you are generally wrong most of the time.