PDA

View Full Version : Unsure of which option will be the best... 3 way or 2 way?

LoudCrownVic
09-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Okey-

In which to set up my front stage, i have:

2 Dayton RS180's (7" midbass)
1 Boston ProSeries 4.5 comp set (4" mids, 1" aluminum dome tweets)

Option one: I was going to make small fiberglass pods for the Pro Series comp set, and run a hit and miss 3 way setup, using x-over caps from parts express. The Bostons would take care of a cetian frequnecy bandwith and the Daytons would get everything that the bostons don't. The bostons would be run off the Eclipse HU doing mid/high dooty and the daytons would get about 100w from the Alpine MRV amp in the sig doing midbass dooty.

However one of the tweets is bad, will cost me $70 to replace. The total cost for all components for the front stage would be about $250 with the capacitors.

Option two: Same as above but use a a pair of cheaper tweets from Parts Express or Madisound that would run off of the boston x-over. Cost: $230 or more

Option three: Ditch the Boston set altogether and just get some tweets and go 2 way, utilizing X (unknown) tweeters to complement the Dayton 7" Refs.

Cost: 60 plus tweets.

Any opinions or links that might prove useful.. Please post them!

LoudCrownVic
09-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Bump... I have an electronic x-over I can use if need be.

JoJoBrinks
09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Find some nice coax and ditch all that other junk. WTF is dayton?

If you use capacitors on the speakears wont they blow?

alphakenny1
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
to me, overall i'd stick to two way and get some good tweeters to fit with the daytons. maybe like the dayton rs28a if you can fit a large format tweet.

ChuteBoxe515
09-04-2006, 03:25 PM
to me, overall i'd stick to two way and get some good tweeters to fit with the daytons. maybe like the dayton rs28a if you can fit a large format tweet.

I am gonna go ahead and agree with kenny...those are some nice daytons...just decide what you can fit and then go from there...

Might wanna ask desertheatracing if he has anything laying around

squeak9798
09-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Find some nice coax and ditch all that other junk.

If he wanted inferior performance, that would be a great option.

WTF is dayton?

An extremely respected DIY brand that offers excellently performing speakers at an affordable price.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=114&CFID=4026446&CFTOKEN=30264789

A capacitor, by itself, acts as a 6db/oct highpass filter.

It is also an integral part of all passive crossover designs.

squeak9798
09-04-2006, 10:14 PM
I would get a tweeter, like the Dayton rs28 mentioned, and go active.

3-way is nice...but it doesn't sound like you really have the equipment/budget to do it properly.

LoudCrownVic
09-05-2006, 01:00 AM
I would get a tweeter, like the Dayton rs28 mentioned, and go active.

3-way is nice...but it doesn't sound like you really have the equipment/budget to do it properly.

Thanks Squeak, milenko and kenny!

Only disadvantage is I have to get an amp for the tweets now and hope the Sony Active X I have isn't a complete piece of crap.

ChuteBoxe515
09-05-2006, 02:39 AM
glad to help...you can amp up the tweets for pretty cheap...which ones did you decide to go with?

LoudCrownVic
09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Havent chosen a tweet yet.

Alphakenny suggested the VIfa $11 tweet awhile back, also looking at some of the lower end Morel tweets.

squeak9798
09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
The new Seas neo tweeter is all the rave in the DIY crowd...supposed to be the new must-have budget tweeter. Plus you can choose between silk and aluminum:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4155415.28812&pid=2138
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=4155415.28812&pid=2136

Though I really think the Dayton RS tweeter would be your best bet. You don't want to run those Dayton mids up too high, and the Dayton has one of the best low frequency extension capabilities in it's price range and would allow you to run a nice low xover point for the tweeter, and hence a lower lowpass point for the mid.

Other tweeters that require a higher xover point still may work for you though, as in a lot of active installs having an underlap in the xover frequencies is not uncommon. It depends on your install/vehicle though.

FoxPro5
09-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Find some nice coax and ditch all that other junk. WTF is dayton?

:laugh: You're joking right? Good one man.

Option 3. If you are new to running active I'd suggest properly setting up a nice mid and tweet combo and see how far that gets you. Running 7 speakers in your car can be a total *****! It takes a lot of time to get it done right.

Many tweets to choose from. Madisound allows customer returns on speakers given they are in perfect condition. You just have to pay return shipping. For $4.05 it's a nice option.

Zaph tested the Seas Neos and gave them a good review. Go to www.zaphaudio.com and read the tweeter mishmash.

LoudCrownVic
09-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I did have the hots for the Morel MDT20 tweets but the Dayton RS ones do look like the best bet, according to the Zaph audio review they have lots of strange distortion which I do not understand. Overall I'd prefer a small format tweet but if I need "low" response from a tweeter... Better get one that plays low.

LoudCrownVic
09-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Oops, now I have $0. No tweets for me.