PDA

View Full Version : Aiming doorpods.....

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:33 PM
From my reading, the best theory i could come up with is that you should aim doorpods at the opposite seating position (passenger side speaker is aimed at the driver, and vise versa)

is this the general rule? or is it more trial and error than this?

my budget isn't "tight" but it doesn't allow for much forgiveness with respect to trial and erroring, so i'm trying to get this right the first time if possible.....

My tweeter and midrange are both domes, so off axis response should be respectable, so is this aiming method a good place to start?

Thanks guys.

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 10:35 PM
you better have good sounddeadening to back it up, and use a laser pointer to aim them or a long dowel rod. or sit down and mees around with them use plumbers tape to manuver it and find out what suits you best

rocky 59
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
my method is using that dowl rod i use with the rings. and take it at your chest and angle it down to the door pod on your oppisite(sp?) side to get the general angle right.

you can get some one to help you out and hold it while you glue the rod to the door so you can see the angel you have to build at.

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:38 PM
the speaks are gonna be sealed in fiberglass pods, and attached to the metal door frame itself, and i like the laser pointer idea...

and as for sound deadening with respect to actual sound insulation, it's a non-issue, the car's SILENT, and (fingers crossed) i HOPE vibration will be a non-issue with the pods attached to the metal door itself, with little or no contact with the actual plastic door panel

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 10:40 PM
wow, how much insulation do you have saying its silent? i you want to see silent check out that one guys maxima on second skin forum. thats insanity

Second SKin Forum 550Sq Ft of Deadening (http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818&highlight=maxima)

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:41 PM
my method is using that dowl rod i use with the rings. and take it at your chest and angle it down to the door pod on your oppisite(sp?) side to get the general angle right.

you can get some one to help you out and hold it while you glue the rod to the door so you can see the angel you have to build at.

another great idea!

this sounds like a good way to start, and then using the laser to check, once the baffle is installed to the dowels

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
wow, how much insulation do you have saying its silent? i you want to see silent check out that one guys maxima on second skin forum. thats insanity

i would imagine he has quite a margin over me.... but i could definitely fall asleep at the wheel well over 100mph on the highway

it's a very quiet car.......

when i metered 143 on a TL, the only noise from the car was my sunroof, which looked like it was gonna pop out :uhoh: and my liscence plate, of course

rocky 59
09-03-2006, 10:44 PM
what car u drive?

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
check my previous post i added a link

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:45 PM
it's a 99 a6

she's old, but the body's hanging in there nicely

i just hope i get these speaks installed before something catastrophic happens mechanically, and yields me unable to afford it :(

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:47 PM
check my previous post i added a link

i'm looking at it now, that's disgusting :eek:

i'll bet that car weighs 4k#'s

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 10:49 PM
it made me want to spend all my money on sound deadening.but i havent got any money to achieve this yet. but its on my To-do list

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:51 PM
i don't even have an install capable of CREATING midbass right now, so once i achieve that, i'll worry about lowering my noisefloor.......

i can't well justify spending that kind of money on deadening to enhance sound i don't even have yet, hahaha

my current install is depressing...

i took out my current speakers today, and left them out just so i wouldn't have to look at them anymore, it was making me depressed

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 10:53 PM
i wish i had spent all my money on deadening first before i bought any audio equipment. i spent over 2 grand on mine, but im sure there are more people have spent

heyman421
09-03-2006, 10:58 PM
i'd be more concerned with deadening if i was gonna do another IB install

the way my doors are designed, there's no possibility of a true IB install

it's hard to explain, but there's no metal fram inside my door, the plastic door panel IS the door.......

i'll try and find a pic to explain

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
hah so i dont know how you drive a 100mph and fall asleep

heyman421
09-03-2006, 11:01 PM
normal doors:

http://diymobileaudio.com/pics/door8.jpg

my doors:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2020/15rv.jpg

see, my door doesn't have the metal skeleton inside, that normall holds the factory speaker.... my factory speakers were mounted to the plastic door panel itself...... IB's never EVER going to happen.......

Megalomaniac
09-03-2006, 11:02 PM
wow, just fleece the ehole door and fiberglass it and fill it with Great Stuff

heyman421
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
that's basically what's going to happen.....

the entire bottom 1/3 of my door's going to be cut out, and i'm going to fiberglass all the way across, and as deep as possible, and attach the enclosure to the metal bracing behind it......

i want to use a "textured" poly resin to cover the finished pods, and paint it to match the door, to look as factory as possible..... not factory in the sense that it looks the same, but matches the door, and has a nice rubberized texture to it...

it's going to be a few weekends of hell.... but it must be done, because i AM insane