PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of these A/D/S tweets?

Johnny Drama
09-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I just got outbid on a silk dome aluminum case pair by $2.50 :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-D-S-PX-concept-Tweeters-BEST-ads-Orion-No-reser_W0QQitemZ180023060896QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1494 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Second question...I have been looking for a while for nice higher end tweets...I am not finding what I want...post up some links. I need more stuff to look at.

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Nothing?

6spdcoupe
09-04-2006, 02:32 AM
want me to post? :D

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 02:37 AM
:p:

Naxis2k1
09-04-2006, 08:19 AM
vifa xt

squeak9798
09-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Second question...I have been looking for a while for nice higher end tweets...I am not finding what I want...post up some links. I need more stuff to look at.

Whatschur budget and what have you looked at that hasn't interested you ?

Large format tweeters acceptable ?

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Whatschur budget and what have you looked at that hasn't interested you ?

Large format tweeters acceptable ?

Well, they are going in the a-pillars so for large format they still need to be <4".

I went ahead and got the A/D/S tweets. Time will tell what I think.

I am talking to Don about the Morel Supremo Piccalo...Price is right.

Range is <$400 for the set. If I see something that really looks good I'll just save for a few more months and get them.

squeak9798
09-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Range is <$400 for the set. If I see something that really looks good I'll just save for a few more months and get them.
Well, you have the obvious such as the Seas Lotus and Rainbow Cal25 and Cal28. Morel Supremo as you mentioned.

Scanspeak (http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=SST&cart_id=1267552.2268) has some high end offerings.

DLS Iridium tweeter.

Dynaudio.

Hiquphon (http://zalytron.com/hiquphon.htm)

Aurum Cantus ribbons

LCY ribbons

All I can think of off hand.

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, you have the obvious such as the Seas Lotus and Rainbow Cal25 and Cal28. Morel Supremo as you mentioned.

Scanspeak (http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?exact_match=yes&product=SST&cart_id=1267552.2268) has some high end offerings.

DLS Iridium tweeter.

Dynaudio.

Hiquphon (http://zalytron.com/hiquphon.htm)

Aurum Cantus ribbons

LCY ribbons

All I can think of off hand.

I wont touch anything from the lotus line ever again.

I like the rainbows, but dont like them for the price. IIRC they are well over my price and the Morels perform very similar.

Scan speak is on the list... :)

Dont really care for the sound of DLS

I like DYN, just dont think I can afford the ones I like, and the next line down wont fit.

Not enough room to get the ribbons to work...

I still have the BG neos to try out next :)

squeak9798
09-04-2006, 10:56 PM
I wont touch anything from the lotus line ever again.

Story behind that ??

Just curious :)

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Story behind that ??

Just curious :)

Products build quality looks great but performance quality and longevity is majorly lacking.

Cliff notes...

The Ref 165s lasted a few months on 100rms per side. Each speaker decided to randomly start reading 4 to 49ohms with lower volumes. Coils arent covered under warranty...

3 different speakers in the same install later lead me to point the finger at the Seas.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I like the rainbows, but dont like them for the price. IIRC they are well over my price and the Morels perform very similar.

I like DYN, just dont think I can afford the ones I like, and the next line down wont fit.

You only asked about the CAL28s, I think you would be suprisingly pleased with the detail and openess of the CAL26 which fall well below your allowable budget. ;)

Which Dyns? The MD130/Esotec should fit the bill, but unfortunately not the MD330/Esotars..

camry_tuner
09-04-2006, 11:34 PM
cal25 =]

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 11:47 PM
You only asked about the CAL28s, I think you would be suprisingly pleased with the detail and openess of the CAL26 which fall well below your allowable budget. ;)

Which Dyns? The MD130/Esotec should fit the bill, but unfortunately not the MD330/Esotars..

Any chance you can get me a responce graph or distortion plots for the cal26? I cant find any. Only thing I see that I dont like is the recomended 2.6k x-over point. I am looking for 2k maybe 2.5k...although I am sure they will be ok at that point.

I dont like the MD 100s and the MD 130s are over my 4" limit... Is the flange removable and able to be flush mounted?

Johnny Drama
09-04-2006, 11:49 PM
I just realized that Mikeyboc has the Profi vandi line comps...I can hear them before I commit to something I have never heard. :)

6spdcoupe
09-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Any chance you can get me a responce graph or distortion plots for the cal26? I cant find any. Only thing I see that I dont like is the recomended 2.6k x-over point. I am looking for 2k maybe 2.5k...although I am sure they will be ok at that point.

I dont like the MD 100s and the MD 130s are over my 4" limit... Is the flange removable and able to be flush mounted?

No graphs for em, but I as well as others have ran them well below that 2.6K mark. I ran mine down to about 2.1 or slightly under for several months..no issues at all.

Ahh yes, forgot about the size issue. I dont believe they can be disassembled either.

6spdcoupe
09-04-2006, 11:52 PM
I just realized that Mikeyboc has the Profi vandi line comps...I can hear them before I commit to something I have never heard. :)

Oh yea, forgot hes local to ya. :woot: Just bearing in mind he has the Tis. ;)

Johnny Drama
09-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Oh yea, forgot hes local to ya. :woot: Just bearing in mind he has the Tis. ;)

Tis? Titanium?

6spdcoupe
09-05-2006, 12:29 AM
yessir

Johnny Drama
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
yessir

BLAH! Probly not going to be worth it then...

6spdcoupe
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Itll give ya an idea, unless hes quite far from you..

Johnny Drama
09-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Itll give ya an idea, unless hes quite far from you..

15-20 minutes

From my experience Titanium, aluminum, and any type of fabric are totally different ball parks. The TI and AL my be similar, but nothing like the open air that a silk produces. I guess its just tastes. I have heard a couple of good aluminum setups, but none that really grabbed my attention.

mikeyboc
09-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Yes I do! I was just about to throw that into the mix. I dont have anything tuned yet, but you are more than welcome to take a listen and toss in your .02.

mikeyboc
09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
BLAH! Probly not going to be worth it then...

Hey now . . . . .

Johnny Drama
Yes I do! I was just about to throw that into the mix. I dont have anything tuned yet, but you are more than welcome to take a listen and toss in your .02.

Any chance you can stop by next saturdays car show? I have to be there, but dont have to judge SQ. You could use the RTA is you wish.

www.tbp.20m.com

cykario
You can look for CDT Drt-26 tweeter too.

Johnny Drama
09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
You can look for CDT Drt-26 tweeter too.

Been there, done that...no thanks :)

mikeyboc
09-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Any chance you can stop by next saturdays car show? I have to be there, but dont have to judge SQ. You could use the RTA is you wish.

www.tbp.20m.com

Should nt be a problem. I may not be able to head out from here until around 12, but it shouldn't take me tooooooo long to get there. Sounds like a plan. Shoot me a PM later in the week to remind me, and I will be there. You can toss in your .02 to my install, being my first SQ one. :)

~Magick_Man~
09-05-2006, 12:52 AM
you should steal doug's vifa's to try them out since he is taking forever to get it installed.

~Magick_Man~

Johnny Drama
Should nt be a problem. I may not be able to head out from here until around 12, but it shouldn't take me tooooooo long to get there. Sounds like a plan. Shoot me a PM later in the week to remind me, and I will be there. You can toss in your .02 to my install, being my first SQ one. :)

Will do...and I'll tell you what I think. Maybe have one of the 5 time SQ champs check out your car if they are there.

Johnny Drama
you should steal doug's vifa's to try them out since he is taking forever to get it installed.

~Magick_Man~

I have his tweeter amp LOL! Need to install the JBL and return it to him.

mikeyboc
09-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Will do...and I'll tell you what I think. Maybe have one of the 5 time SQ champs check out your car if they are there.
Always open to opinions. I am finding out the hard way that there is quite a bit more to SQ then it seems. But I am on my way . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (hopefully)

FoxPro5
09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Really odd what happend with your Lotus mids. I've never heard anything of that nature being reported about them. I've had 215w on mine for a while now without issue.

I ran the Cal25 titanium form the Pro Vanadium set and wouldn't recommed it up high. I had them in the A pillar/dash crossfiring and they were too much for me. I did a direct swap for the Cal25 fabric and liked it a lot better.

For the money the Seas Neos are pretty good for a metal dome. No harshness, but can be a little bright on sibilant tracks. Lots of user feedback on DIYMA about them. I'm using them now and they fit the bill.

The Scans seem to be a popular choice. So are the LPG's it seems. Never used them though.

If the A/D/S tweets are the same as the ones used in their comp sets I've heard them a few times. They have a nice smooth and airy sound to them, but were not as lively and articulate a I personally perfer. I think you can do better for the money....unless you totally scooped them.

I love the MD100's. I think they have a great sound and presence to them, but, as many have found, they tend to 'spit' at high volume.

I just discovered that my Lotus tweets were not blown as previously thought. **** tinsel leads broke!! Anyway, after they are fixed, I'm going to mount them right next to the Dyn's and do a direct A/B comparison in the best pseudoscientific way as I can. :uhoh:

squeak9798
09-05-2006, 07:10 PM
I am looking for 2k maybe 2.5k...although I am sure they will be ok at that point.

Is this for the 3-way setup in your sig? If so, why cross them so low?

Also..curiousity...you running those 4" Coustic mids? What do you think of them? Really like my 6.5's, never got to hear the 4's.

Johnny Drama
09-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Is this for the 3-way setup in your sig? If so, why cross them so low?

Also..curiousity...you running those 4" Coustic mids? What do you think of them? Really like my 6.5's, never got to hear the 4's.

They are/will be crossed that low to raise the sound stage in my attempt to make a very nice sounding SQ vehicle in a very wide, very floor oriented truck. In a car I could get away with a higher point and rely on the midrange to do more work. In the truck the kicks are below you, not somewhat in front like a car would be.

For now, I will be putting a pair in the pillars and playing with x-over points and settings to see what I can pull.

For the Coustic mids...best speaker purchase I have made in a long time. They blend well with the extremis at 250hz and play very well into the 4khz range effortlessly. Only down side like I said was the low mounting of the truck in the kicks. One more I just thought of...my mids tend to be a tad bit nasaly...need to deaden and polyfill the inside of the kicks. Should help a ton.

Johnny Drama
09-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Really odd what happend with your Lotus mids. I've never heard anything of that nature being reported about them. I've had 215w on mine for a while now without issue.

I ran the Cal25 titanium form the Pro Vanadium set and wouldn't recommed it up high. I had them in the A pillar/dash crossfiring and they were too much for me. I did a direct swap for the Cal25 fabric and liked it a lot better.

For the money the Seas Neos are pretty good for a metal dome. No harshness, but can be a little bright on sibilant tracks. Lots of user feedback on DIYMA about them. I'm using them now and they fit the bill.

The Scans seem to be a popular choice. So are the LPG's it seems. Never used them though.

If the A/D/S tweets are the same as the ones used in their comp sets I've heard them a few times. They have a nice smooth and airy sound to them, but were not as lively and articulate a I personally perfer. I think you can do better for the money....unless you totally scooped them.

I love the MD100's. I think they have a great sound and presence to them, but, as many have found, they tend to 'spit' at high volume.

I just discovered that my Lotus tweets were not blown as previously thought. **** tinsel leads broke!! Anyway, after they are fixed, I'm going to mount them right next to the Dyn's and do a direct A/B comparison in the best pseudoscientific way as I can. :uhoh:

I dont really know what happened to the seas. One minute they were fine and the next the driver side would cut in and lout at lower power. Then the passanger side did the same less then a month later.

As far as what you have recomended so far, I am not a fan of any type of metal dome. They are WAY to harsh to me no matter what the tuning.

I got the A/D/S tweets for fairly cheap. I can always get more then my money back locally. ;)

They should be here Friday at the latest. I will let everyone know what I think.

FoxPro5
09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I dont really know what happened to the seas. One minute they were fine and the next the driver side would cut in and lout at lower power. Then the passanger side did the same less then a month later.

As far as what you have recomended so far, I am not a fan of any type of metal dome. They are WAY to harsh to me no matter what the tuning.

I got the A/D/S tweets for fairly cheap. I can always get more then my money back locally. ;)

They should be here Friday at the latest. I will let everyone know what I think.

Did they make kind of a scratchy sound...like they were hooked up to an AM radio?? A few weeks back that's what my driver's side mid started sounding like. I'm like, great it's toast. I opened up my door and everything seemed fine, but it sounded like ****. It wasn't untill I gently pulled on the wire that it compeletely cut out. Turns out the termal posts had started to come loose from the basket. There is a small nut (5mm or so) that holds them down. One nut was only like a half a turn loose and that's what caused it. I guess from all the vibration it just came loose over time. Scared the **** out of me though!!!!

Johnny Drama
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Did they make kind of a scratchy sound...like they were hooked up to an AM radio?? A few weeks back that's what my driver's side mid started sounding like. I'm like, great it's toast. I opened up my door and everything seemed fine, but it sounded like ****. It wasn't untill I gently pulled on the wire that it compeletely cut out. Turns out the termal posts had started to come loose from the basket. There is a small nut (5mm or so) that holds them down. One nut was only like a half a turn loose and that's what caused it. I guess from all the vibration it just came loose over time. Scared the **** out of me though!!!!

No...Mine would randomly read from 3.8ohms to 49.2ohms. :(

Also it seems that you yourself are/were having issues with them. From the tweeter leads breaking to the terminal screw loosening. Not great build quality if you ask me. Dont get me wrong...They "look" great and sound even better. Just not worth the hassle on something that doesnt last. My extremis and coustics are kicking *** for me now. I am more then happy with both of those purchases. The $300 I spent on the lotus could have been well spent on another matching amp or a better set of tweets.

FoxPro5
09-06-2006, 03:07 PM
No...Mine would randomly read from 3.8ohms to 49.2ohms. :(

Also it seems that you yourself are/were having issues with them. From the tweeter leads breaking to the terminal screw loosening. Not great build quality if you ask me. Dont get me wrong...They "look" great and sound even better. Just not worth the hassle on something that doesnt last. My extremis and coustics are kicking *** for me now. I am more then happy with both of those purchases. The $300 I spent on the lotus could have been well spent on another matching amp or a better set of tweets.

Yes it seems Seas could use some help in the QA department. I think they are very well made in terms of quality of the materials/components used. They just just have put it together better. I'm also not excusing myself of user error. I could have exercised better caution, but hey this is the aut0motive environment where talking about here.

I'd like to try that Extrimis as a dedicated midbass. Looks like a great driver if you have the room.

Hope those tweets work out for you.

Johnny Drama
09-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Yes it seems Seas could use some help in the QA department. I think they are very well made in terms of quality of the materials/components used. They just just have put it together better. I'm also not excusing myself of user error. I could have exercised better caution, but hey this is the aut0motive environment where talking about here.

I'd like to try that Extrimis as a dedicated midbass. Looks like a great driver if you have the room.

Hope those tweets work out for you.

The extremis are amazing. I wish you lived close by. I would demo them for you.

and thanks! I will definatly be calling Don on the Morels if the A/D/S dont have the sound I am looking for.

squeak9798
09-06-2006, 07:40 PM
They are/will be crossed that low to raise the sound stage in my attempt to make a very nice sounding SQ vehicle in a very wide, very floor oriented truck. In a car I could get away with a higher point and rely on the midrange to do more work. In the truck the kicks are below you, not somewhat in front like a car would be.

For now, I will be putting a pair in the pillars and playing with x-over points and settings to see what I can pull.

Why put the tweets in the pillars?

Audiolife has an S10....you are just about sitting on top of his kickpanels...and the soundstage is still well above the dash ;)

6spdcoupe
09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
The extremis are amazing. I wish you lived close by. I would demo them for you.

and thanks! I will definatly be calling Don on the Morels if the A/D/S dont have the sound I am looking for.

Actually I just got the Piccolos in and I can easily say WoW... Build quality is exceptional. Ive only had a short time to play em, but so far...warm, very detailed as well as a bit airy, no spitting at higher volumes, I may actually put this set in my car for a bit to play around. A customer had me order a set, so I got one for myself to play with. :)

Johnny Drama
09-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Why put the tweets in the pillars?

Audiolife has an S10....you are just about sitting on top of his kickpanels...and the soundstage is still well above the dash ;)

5 time Iasca and Usaci champ's car...'06 tahoe tweets in pillars and '96ish ranger tweets in pillars. Some of the best I have ever heard...Every show he goes to that I judge is bliss to my ears. :)

Actually I just got the Piccolos in and I can easily say WoW... Build quality is exceptional. Ive only had a short time to play em, but so far...warm, very detailed as well as a bit airy, no spitting at higher volumes, I may actually put this set in my car for a bit to play around. A customer had me order a set, so I got one for myself to play with. :)

Cool :) Let me know what you think when you get some play time :D