PDA

View Full Version : Dorm Speaker Recommendations

msimon
09-03-2006, 03:05 PM
After being in more dorm for about two weeks I soon realized that my laptop's speakers just aren't going to cut it. So I am currently building a dorm stereo but I really don't know anything about home audio, and really don't have that much money. Right now I have a Yamaha HTR-5150 receiver, and I am going to use my laptop as a cd/mp3 player. I also am going to use my Image Dynamics OEM 15 sub, but I really don't know how powerful of a plate amp I should get. In the car I had ~550 watts on it, and it was perfect for IB, but I really don't know what is needed in the dorm. I was thinking about getting a 250 watt amp and then doing a low tuned ported enclosure to increase output, but I really don't know.

And finally, the part where I have the least clue, speakers. I am thinking about going with the Ascendant Audio Arbiter TMs, which run about $250 with the parts for the passives. But I really don't know anything about home audio, so if anyone has any recommendations on speakers under $250 it would be greatly appreciated.

Beat_Dominator
09-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Your plans sound good to me. 250-350w plate amp and the Arbiter setup would rock :)

azbass
09-03-2006, 03:27 PM
somthing that gets loud and annoying. ;)

ballstothewall
09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Instead of the TM setup, just get 4 mids per tower...

But then I could be partial to that setup...

joetama
09-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Unless you want to run a 3 way setup DON'T get more than 1 mid..... Otherwise it gets too complex... If you dont know what I mean, I'll tell you... But you prolly wont understand...

msimon
09-15-2006, 07:03 PM
Unless you want to run a 3 way setup DON'T get more than 1 mid..... Otherwise it gets too complex... If you dont know what I mean, I'll tell you... But you prolly wont understand...

I'd like to learn, but I wasn't really planning on using more than one mid.

Also, it seems that I probably just am not going to have the time or desire to build a nice looking enclosure for the Arbiter setup, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any other options in my price range that include cabinets.