PDA

View Full Version : Cutting holes?

jeepintn
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
caulk or liquid nails work well for me. the plastic pieces u see are speaker terminals, they can be found at radio shack or if u wanna do it online, partsexpress.com, and for the circles, a lot of people use a router, it makes very clean cuts, i just use a jigsaw and go slow.

squeak9798
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I am building a box for my 2 12" subs and I am wondering what tool I use to cut the circles?

A router with a circle jig or a jig saw.

Router preferred.

Jig saw if you are decently skilled.

Also what should I use for sealer? I am gonna use gorilla glue and woodnails to hold it together but i notice alot of boxes have a white sealer inside to prevent leaks.

Just some silicone sealant/caulk from your local hardware store.

Also what are those plastic pieces I see on alot of boxes that let the wires run into the box? Where can I get one of those?

Terminal cups.

Can get them at Radio Shack.

Big Dee
09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Stuff I used and suggest you use also.

1) Jigsaw or router
2) Wood glue (I used Loc Tite I think)
3) Clamps - You need these, they are great, I'd get at least 4.
4) Drill bit to pre drill holes, and optional countersink bit.
5) Slicon sealant for all inside edges.

One thing that I wouldn't use again are radio shack terminals. Next time I think I'm going to use some tyoe of screw instead. The radio shack ones let a little air out through the wire holes, but I doubt it would make any difference.

Trixter
09-03-2006, 09:50 AM
One thing that I wouldn't use again are radio shack terminals. Next time I think I'm going to use some tyoe of screw instead. The radio shack ones let a little air out through the wire holes, but I doubt it would make any difference.

this is what i use....

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3663/nutandboltcq2.th.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nutandboltcq2.jpg)

may seem like a bit much but really it's just a bolt with the speaker wire on the one side and it's tightened down on the outside with the washer and nut. then another washer, amp speaker wire, washer and wing nut to hold the amp speaker with down. work nicely for high spl apps. or where a lot of vibration is.

bjfish11
09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Router and Jasper jib FTW (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=365-250)

spoken
09-03-2006, 04:36 PM
If you use a jig saw make sure to practice making circles first. After about making five I had it down.:)

PatFitz9
09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
you can just drill a small hole, and run the speakers right out of the box from the sub. just put some silicone sealant around the hole and it should be all good.

jjski78
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I was wondering if you could use a rotozip to cut the holes. Only reason I ask is because I have no use for a router besides speaker boxes, of which I make very few, but I could use a rotozip a lot. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Trixter
09-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I was wondering if you could use a rotozip to cut the holes. Only reason I ask is because I have no use for a router besides speaker boxes, of which I make very few, but I could use a rotozip a lot. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

i have found that it burns a lot..maybe too fast or the wrong bit, but didn't work well for me

lilmaniac2
09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
wrong bit on the rotozip will make it burn... i only found 1 bit that worked well and i broke it lol dont member what kind it was either...

router ftw YAY

lilmaniac2
09-03-2006, 11:48 PM
wrong bit on the rotozip will make it burn... i only found 1 bit that worked well and i broke it lol dont member what kind it was either...

router ftw YAY

NhustlaR
09-04-2006, 06:21 AM
jigsaw. make sure you cut a little bit small on it, always better tifher than loose in my opinon. ;) i love it tight.

Nick

btw, im trashed. but really make it about a 1;/8 smaller for you can sand the hole if necessary. idk about you but its much better when you dont have to make a whole new baffle. wow im tupinng soo good.

Beer Pong DTW!

g; br;tner