PDA

View Full Version : Germs vs. Oz 180

Motovet
09-01-2006, 02:17 AM
Well I have actually narrowed down my search to two sets I can never listen to...so what the he.... I know I am after a quality set with a silk tweet. My Pros sound great in my ride, but I do tune down the highs quite a bit. So for my wifes I'm trying something different, and will be getting by with less low end and using a stealth to save the cargo space. I will be running off a 300/2. Have at it...someone on this forum will be getting an order soon. ;)

FoxPro5
09-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Have you read the review's on the Germs? It's pretty tough to match the flexibility of the passive on that set.

addisdar
09-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Are you planning on Biamping the comps? If so, then the germs crossover has that option. Never looked detailed at the internals of the Germ crossover, but I know that the OZ crossovers, use true audiophile grade components in them.

But if you just want great sound with very little tuning, go with the OZ.

In my opinion, I like the sound of the OZ better. It was a little warmer and more life like. It is all I use, now. The Germs sound good, just not as lively as the OZ set. To fairly judge both sets, I would have to hear them in the same vehicle, but regretably I haven't. The comparisons I have made between them were in different vehicles, and you never know how the acoustic properties of the car can effect the comparison.

Just a warning, after you hear the OZ Speakers, you may decide to replace your Pro's with them also. ;)

Also, that amp you will be using will be right on with the OZ.

Motovet
09-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Any more opinions here?

Sonnick
09-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Im interested in this as well. I've heard nothing but raves about the Germs..great midbass, vocals, everything. I've yet to hear about the Oz's until in this thread. Would 150/side be too much for the Oz's? I know the Germs can take more, but what about the Oz's?

addisdar
09-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Im interested in this as well. I've heard nothing but raves about the Germs..great midbass, vocals, everything. I've yet to hear about the Oz's until in this thread. Would 150/side be too much for the Oz's? I know the Germs can take more, but what about the Oz's?

They can take more. I have 180+ going to mine. And that is off of a bridged US Amps 4300X. So it is more than likely a good bit over 200 going to them.

Sonnick
09-03-2006, 05:24 PM
They can take more. I have 180+ going to mine. And that is off of a bridged US Amps 4300X. So it is more than likely a good bit over 200 going to them.
These might be my comps of choice..they go for $300 shipped on Onlinecarstereo.com..that's not bad, especially if they are comparable to the Germs

theothermike
09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
both outstanding but, only reason i believe germs win is the crossover. The OZ have the standard in your face detailed sound, while not being harsh, but the germs have both all depends on how u set them soo..

germs win

mtdewelf
09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
i know if you pick up the germs, i'd love to take the drive to have a listen. That is the only part of my system i am completly at a standstill on, well that and what car to put it it lol.

Audio Junkies
09-03-2006, 05:48 PM
These might be my comps of choice..they go for $300 shipped on Onlinecarstereo.com..that's not bad, especially if they are comparable to the Germs

Oz Audio has had so many complaints from customers about Onlinecarstereo.com it isn't even funny. All of them have to do with placing orders and not receiving any product. It isn't surprising considering they aren't authorized to sell anything made by Oz Audio and are losing money at $300 shipped for the 180CS.

Authorized Online Retailers for Oz Audio: http://www.ozaudio.com/jti/internetpolicy.htm

Sonnick
09-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Oz Audio has had so many complaints from customers about Onlinecarstereo.com it isn't even funny. All of them have to do with placing orders and not receiving any product. It isn't surprising considering they aren't authorized to sell anything made by Oz Audio and are losing money at $300 shipped for the 180CS.

Authorized Online Retailers for Oz Audio: http://www.ozaudio.com/jti/internetpolicy.htm
Oh wow I never would have thought that. I've done business with onlinecarstereo and everything was great. I'll stay away from OCS with the OZ's though, thank you

Motovet
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Are the crossovers more adjustable on the germs, or is it just that they can be bi-amped? In other words is there any to be gained with the Germs if you are just running a standard amp set up? Do these comps really sound so similar. Everything I've ever demoed sounds quite different at flat levels.

addisdar
09-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Are the crossovers more adjustable on the germs, or is it just that they can be bi-amped? In other words is there any to be gained with the Germs if you are just running a standard amp set up? Do these comps really sound so similar. Everything I've ever demoed sounds quite different at flat levels.

bi-amping

Audio Junkies
09-04-2006, 12:23 AM
The Germanium crossovers have internal jumpers that let you attenuate the tweeters and also change the low-pass frequency for the woofers.

You can see some of them in this pic...

http://www.audiojunkies.com/images/products/273/zoom_Rainbow-CS26525Germaniumd.jpg

addisdar
09-04-2006, 12:46 AM
The Germanium crossovers have internal jumpers that let you attenuate the tweeters and also change the low-pass frequency for the woofers.

You can see some of them in this pic...

http://www.audiojunkies.com/images/products/273/zoom_Rainbow-CS26525Germaniumd.jpg

I wasn't aware of the ability to change the woofer crossover point. But almost every crossover can attenuate the tweeter.

The OZ can attenuate and change the phase of the speakers.

Audio Junkies
09-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, they're both great. I couldn't have picked a harder pair of component sets to decide between. At least you'll be happy no matter what you decide.

3.5Max6spd
09-04-2006, 11:01 AM
I wasn't aware of the ability to change the woofer crossover point. But almost every crossover can attenuate the tweeter.

The OZ can attenuate and change the phase of the speakers.

Changing the phase of the speakers on a xover isnt anything special- you can do it WITH ANY crossover- simply reverse the polarity of the wiring.

The germs allow you to play with the phase RELATIONSHIP between the tweeter AND woofer, at multiple points- ensuring however you install your speakers, you have better flexibility for optimal sound WITH the passive xover.

Speaking of audiophile xovers..

The Germs..

*You can bi-amp, bi-wire

*4-level attenuation for tweeter level.

*You can disable protections using supplied silver wire jumpers

*Uses high grade silver wire connectors

* Variable xover points for tweeter and woofer

More..http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/technology.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=17&kom=3

Dunno about the OZ woofer build, but the Germs have a copper shortcut ring in the magnet system and copper cap on the pole piece to linearize impedance and lower distortions.

For the price, build and flexibility there arent too many options like it in their price range.

addisdar
09-04-2006, 12:33 PM
OZ Crossover features

12 dB asymmetrical 2nd Order crossover alignment
Audiophile grade air core inductors and mylar capacitors
0/-3/-6 dB tweeter attenuation switch
Optical illumination tweeter protection
Impedance matching components
Tweeter phase selection 0 degrees / 180 degrees
Gold plated terminals
Crossover chassis designed for easy surface or flush mounting

In the end, it just boils down to what sounds good to you in your price range. Both sets offer great crossovers.

headless
09-04-2006, 02:45 PM
In the end, it just boils down to what sounds good to you in your price range. Both sets offer great crossovers.

If you think they are identical you may be confused; - the OZ set doesn't have tweakable crossover points like the Germaniums, and the Germanium tweeter attenuation is superior; the fourth level of attenuation not only attenuates -6db, but also includes a gradual -2db slope going from 2.5khz up to 20khz to help round off the ultra high freq's for tweeter mounting very close to the listeners ear. The Germanium crossover's allow you to adjust both the woofer low-pass frequency AND the tweeter high-pass frequency independently giving you the ability to underlap or overlap the tweets...and of course you can always simply swap a single wire location to change phase. Personally, I got nasty peaks around 2khz with the tweets and woofers both set to 2.2khz, so adjusted up to 2.6khz and eliminated the problem...which allowed me to attenuate the tweets less giving a fuller sound overall. I might've been able to accomplish this with EQ settings, but not really in the same way and i'd be using several PEQ bands on my setup just for that purpose. Some of the things the Germanium x-over offer are simply not possible without going fully active with the OZ set. The question, of course, comes back to the buyer and weather or not they find these features beneficial. Unfortunately, if you go with the OZ's and discover those features would be useful afterall, you're stuck without them ;)

theothermike
09-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Audio Junkies ne relation to the website? Ur in TAMPA too :-)

Pm me plz

addisdar
09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
If you think they are identical you may be confused; - the OZ set doesn't have tweakable crossover points like the Germaniums, and the Germanium tweeter attenuation is superior; the fourth level of attenuation not only attenuates -6db, but also includes a gradual -2db slope going from 2.5khz up to 20khz to help round off the ultra high freq's for tweeter mounting very close to the listeners ear. The Germanium crossover's allow you to adjust both the woofer low-pass frequency AND the tweeter high-pass frequency independently giving you the ability to underlap or overlap the tweets...and of course you can always simply swap a single wire location to change phase. Personally, I got nasty peaks around 2khz with the tweets and woofers both set to 2.2khz, so adjusted up to 2.6khz and eliminated the problem...which allowed me to attenuate the tweets less giving a fuller sound overall. I might've been able to accomplish this with EQ settings, but not really in the same way and i'd be using several PEQ bands on my setup just for that purpose. Some of the things the Germanium x-over offer are simply not possible without going fully active with the OZ set. The question, of course, comes back to the buyer and weather or not they find these features beneficial. Unfortunately, if you go with the OZ's and discover those features would be useful afterall, you're stuck without them ;)

Did I ever say once that they were identical crossovers? No, i didn't. You might want to go back and read the full post. I never once said the crossovers were identical. All that was said, was that they both offered great crossovers.

headless
09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Did I ever say once that they were identical crossovers? No, i didn't. You might want to go back and read the full post. I never once said the crossovers were identical. All that was said, was that they both offered great crossovers.

My fault; I thought that by using a single statement to cover both crossovers, you were implying that they were identical or equal. Saying 'they both offer great crossovers' is a bit misleading, wouldn't you say? It appears you're aware that they are quite different, but others who read your statements might not have realised without clarification that you'd get better crossovers with the Germanium set. No hard feelings, no need to get defensive :)

WhoSayWho?
09-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would like to know how it is that you know of these complaints.

Did the customers receive timely refunds when the merchandise was out of stock?

Thanks.

addisdar
09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
My fault; I thought that by using a single statement to cover both crossovers, you were implying that they were identical or equal. Saying 'they both offer great crossovers' is a bit misleading, wouldn't you say? It appears you're aware that they are quite different, but others who read your statements might not have realised without clarification that you'd get better crossovers with the Germanium set. No hard feelings, no need to get defensive :)

Wouldn't say it is misleading at all. It is not like we are talking about an eletrolyte based crossovers to either the OZ or the Germs. If so, then the statement would be false, but since neither use those materials and they both only use high quality parts in them, then saying they both offer great crossovers is right on target. The most important part is what they are built with and not the features. You need to make sure that they can crossover the frequencies fast enough. They both are on par on quaility, but the germs win on additional features.

Not trying to seem defensive, sorry if I come across that way. I just go not like being accused of saying one thing when it isn't true. ;)

It's all good though.

suleman36
09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Whats the best price on the Rainbows by somone authorized ?

I can get the OZ Audio CS 180's for $325 plus tax at a local dealer.

3.5Max6spd
09-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Whats the best price on the Rainbows by somone authorized ?

I can get the OZ Audio CS 180's for $325 plus tax at a local dealer.

The Germs go for ~$450.

They are on different price brackets on the street, one is a domestic product with very little manufacturer protection of the dealer base and its products worth (i.e. internet sales below map ) , the other is a more rare-newer line that is imported from Germany-smaller dealer base.

The comparisons on these sets... end in this thread. The Germs are a newer, more flexible set out of the box. End of discussion.

Wanna discuss how they sound? Use them in your car, take subjective opinions with a grain of salt.

suleman36
09-06-2006, 03:03 PM
I just wish i could hear the rainbows but i dont have any dealers that sell rainbows here. For the price, the 180 CS looks nice.

Audio Junkies
09-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would like to know how it is that you know of these complaints.

Did the customers receive timely refunds when the merchandise was out of stock?

Thanks.

I'm an authorized Oz retailer and I heard it from them directly. I have no idea about refunds, all I know is that they have been getting lots of complaints about Onlinecarstereo.com.

WhoSayWho?
09-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm an authorized Oz retailer and I heard it from them directly. I have no idea about refunds, all I know is that they have been getting lots of complaints about Onlinecarstereo.com.

Thanks.

djdilliodon
09-07-2006, 02:11 PM
while i have never used the Rainbow germ set i have had my far share of sets with complicated passive xovers. One includes the cdt hex6000 which has 5880 possible sound control adjustments in 3 way mode and 2940 in 2 way mode. To be honest i didnt even use 10% of that number and after awhile switched to the ES-300 xover cause i really had no use for the added features. Now a days with so many people starting to go active the main concern in my opinion is just getting a passive that is built solid with the best quality parts and the drivers and tweeters as best as you can afford.

just my .02

jacka
09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
the germs don't have 2940 adjustments. all the features that they have would be looked over or adjusted at least once before the installation is complete.