PDA

View Full Version : Doorpod idea?

heyman421
08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
In the next month or so, once i get my bs sorted out with ebay, i'm planning on installing diy components, and namely, 10" midbass drivers into my doors.

I've read everything i can about doing fiberglass, and i've made the realistic decision that i probably don't have the patience/skill to make them look very good.

So i started thinking about alternatives, and what i came up with is an mdf baffle, that's in the shape of a snowman, with my 10", midrange, and tweeter mounted in snowman fashion, where all three drivers are flush on the baffle, and then sealed mdf rings inside the door, to create a sealed environment for the 10.

It's hard to visualize, i know, but my main question was about upholstering the enclosure.

I was thinking about using brush-on bedliner as a rubberized "paint" for my doorpods. The kits are around $90, and include everything i need.

Has anyone ever used bedliner to cover enclosures before? I feel like it will look a hell of a lot better than spray paint, and will smooth the outside of the enclosure, as well as making it air/water tight.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Good idea? Bad idea?

I figure since the kit is probably enough to do an entire bedliner, i'll probably do a matching subwoofer enclosure, which i think would also look quite nice. Just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not this would be worth persuing?

Thanks guys.

phantom240
08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
ive seen roll on bedliner used and its come out good and bad. It all depends on if ou take your time...

heyman421
08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
alright, cool

time's not an issue, i was more just curious if anyone had tried it before and if it worked/looked good.

Sounds like i'll have to give it a whirl

Shyne151
08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
http://www.project04.net/gallery/main.php/view/MonteCarlo/system/pods/

how i did my pods, idk if it will help you or not.

heyman421
08-31-2006, 11:05 PM
**** those look so good......

i'd like to do fiberglass, i just know it'd be one of those projects i get frustrated with 1/2 way through, and f it up and give up/do a half assed job......

reading walk-throughs of fiberglassing just sounds so overwhelming. if i had someone to help me get started, it'd be one thing... but i don't think it would come out very well on my own, and supplies are $$$

heyman421
09-03-2006, 08:04 PM
i was bored today, so i took my doors out to look at what i'm gonna be up against, and the only way i'm gonna make this look 1/2 way decent, and aim the speakers where i want is to do some glassing

yikes....

i'm really not looking forward to this now...

but there's no way i'm gonna give up without at least trying. the only shop i found who was willing to try and put 10's in my doors wouldn't be able to help me till winter, cause "extreme" projects like this "tie them up" too much..........

f it, i guess there's a first time for everything...

this seems like an insane project for a first-time glassing experiment, tho