PDA

View Full Version : Want to demo some High(er) end Comps

GrnEydDvl
08-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Sold my car this week and picked up a new truck. I had MB Quart Premium 6.5s in the car but I am looking to step up the game a bit in the truck.

I am looking to demo some components in the $500 - $1000 range.

If anyone is local to San Jose or nearby and will let me listen to their car I would be eternally greatful. Specific brand I am interested in are Focal, Rainbow, and even MB Quarts Q series.

Or - Does anyone know of any shop nearby that carries these brands? I would prefer an in-car demo but a soundboard will do in a pinch.

Thanks!

alphakenny1
08-30-2006, 03:54 PM
hey i'm in san jose. but my car is unfortunately not finished (click on my install thread in sig). my system will consist of seas lotus reference 8"/4"/1" and possibly you'd consider the new lotus reference set which is the new 6.5" and 1". when i'm finished, i'll let you know and you can have a listen.

BTW, should made this thread about a month ago as i had my lotus reference 6.5" and 1" installed but took it out for this new install.

GrnEydDvl
08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks. Lookin good so far. When do you think you will have it all in and ready to demo?

I forgot to include Sea Lotus on the short list. I am very interested in hearing your setup.

alphakenny1
08-30-2006, 04:02 PM
bleh, i dunno to be honest. haha. i need to make kick panels for the 4"/1". then ima have my friend help me build some door pods. so it actually might be a while :(.

you looking to find a set soon?

GrnEydDvl
08-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Well I *JUST* got the truck, like literally last night. So I can occupy my mind with other things.. still need to get a bedliner and a grill. That sort of stuff.

But yah, the sooner the better. I know how it is though. Doing your own custom work on your time can end up taking a while. Just lemme know whenever.

GrnEydDvl
08-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Anyone else? Any good shops nearby to demo higher end components?

alphakenny1
08-31-2006, 02:33 AM
not sure about demo vehicles but there are plenty of shops around here that have sound boards of morel, dynaudio, mb quart, focal, etc. just look it up through the company's website to find authorized dealers and i'm sure they have sound boards. but you won't find dealers of rainbow, scan speak, and seas around here.

bri487
08-31-2006, 02:36 AM
Anyone else? Any good shops nearby to demo higher end components?

if you come near the stockton area sometime soon, i'll let you listen to my zapcos.

GrnEydDvl
09-01-2006, 04:43 PM
if you come near the stockton area sometime soon, i'll let you listen to my zapcos.

That would be cool but that is a little far. If I am ever out that way I'll pm you about it.

brypink
09-01-2006, 05:06 PM
You know you want to come down to San Dog and hear my set-up. lol :naughty: J/K

BTW, I had Focal Utopias...they had good midbass in our trucks (with the doors sealed), but the tweeter was harsh...especially at higher volumes. If you have the cash...you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Power Lines. :yumyum:

GrnEydDvl
09-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Went out yesterday to a few shops. All listening was done on a sound board setup. Source material was Tool's Lateralus and when I asked for electronica I got some ****** pop trance cd.

So I got to hear:

Focal K2P - not my cup of tea. Think I will pass on these.

The MB Q QSC's - sounded, strangely enough, way mellow. I thought they were supposed to have bright tweeters. The QSC's were NOTHING lke my MBQ Premiums. The guy said the tweets were attenuated but this must have been overkill. Pass on these as well.

Diamond Audio D9's - More towards my liking but the sound didn't seem to justify their price tag.

Dynaudio System 240 GT - The first set I heard that really started to get me excited. Sharp tweets without being overbearing. Capable of surprising midbass levels. Nicely balanced overall. Might even be worth the money. I imagine in-car they are brilliant.

Still on my short list to audition are: Sea lotus references, Anything/everything made by Rainbow from the Germs on up, Boston Accoustics z6's, and the MQ Quart QSD's and Signatures.

Am I missing any others in the 700-1500 MSRP range that you think I should hear?

Did most of you Rainbow owners buy them without hearing them first?

brypink
09-01-2006, 05:12 PM
I went into the Power Lines blind. I've heard Germaniums in a H2 and liked them...so, I thought the Power Lines had to sound great.

mikeyboc
09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Went out yesterday to a few shops. All listening was done on a sound board setup. Source material was Tool's Lateralus and when I asked for electronica I got some ****** pop trance cd.

So I got to hear:

Focal K2P - not my cup of tea. Think I will pass on these.

The MB Q QSC's - sounded, strangely enough, way mellow. I thought they were supposed to have bright tweeters. The QSC's were NOTHING lke my MBQ Premiums. The guy said the tweets were attenuated but this must have been overkill. Pass on these as well.

Diamond Audio D9's - More towards my liking but the sound didn't seem to justify their price tag.

Dynaudio System 240 GT - The first set I heard that really started to get me excited. Sharp tweets without being overbearing. Capable of surprising midbass levels. Nicely balanced overall. Might even be worth the money. I imagine in-car they are brilliant.

Still on my short list to audition are: Sea lotus references, Anything/everything made by Rainbow from the Germs on up, Boston Accoustics z6's, and the MQ Quart QSD's and Signatures.

Am I missing any others in the 700-1500 MSRP range that you think I should hear?

Did most of you Rainbow owners buy them without hearing them first?

Should have my Profi Vanadiums up and running tonight or tom, and can give a review. Unless you are up for a short road trip to hear them.

GrnEydDvl
09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
You know you want to come down to San Dog and hear my set-up. lol :naughty: J/K

BTW, I had Focal Utopias...they had good midbass in our trucks (with the doors sealed), but the tweeter was harsh...especially at higher volumes. If you have the cash...you'll be pleasantly surprised with the Power Lines. :yumyum:

That would be awesome seeing how we have the same model truck. San Dizzle is just a wee bit too far. Maybe I can talk the missus into a short vacation and then spring it on her once we are down there that it was all just so I could hear your truck. :laugh: