PDA

View Full Version : door speaker enclosure?

strippedss
08-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Is it a good idea to put door mounted midbase drivers in a little enclosure, kind of like a baffle? Would this work in place of sealing off the entire door? I work in a sheetmetal shop so I could make these myself. Thanks

squeak9798
08-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Depends on the speaker.

Most speakers for car audio are designed to be used infinite baffle...i.e. no enclosure, which is why most people do not enclose the speaker itself, they instead install the speaker solidly in the door and seal the door.

There are those few car audio speakers, and home audio speakers (which some people use in their car), which would benefit from an enclosure. But without knowing the parameters of the speaker, there is no way to tell you for sure. But the vast majority of car audio speakers are intended for infinite baffle, so chances are very good that an enclosure would actually hinder performance.

strippedss
08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Ok. I will seal the door. Thanks

jason5703
08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
How do you seal the door where the window seal is? I'm guessing that it isnt airtight there. I did use some of those baffles from Parts Express and they seemed to beef up the low end out of my clarion comps

iceteebone
08-28-2006, 08:34 PM
what do you mean the window seal? there is a door deadening sticky in this forum

Railrocker
08-28-2006, 08:39 PM
How do you seal the door where the window seal is? I'm guessing that it isnt airtight there. I did use some of those baffles from Parts Express and they seemed to beef up the low end out of my clarion comps

You answered your own question. When the window is up it is sealed there. Not super hella tight sealed but enough for some mid woofers.