PDA

View Full Version : Out of the game for a while....

Motovet
08-27-2006, 04:32 PM
A few years back I researched, listened, and listened some more for MY first install in my HD Chev. truck. Back then I settled on Boston Pros up front driven by a 300/2, coax in back off the HU (rarely used), and two 10W3v2's off a 500/1.
Now the wife has given me the green light to rip out the dreaded Bose out of our new Tahoe and have my way with it.:veryhapp: So I already have a JL stealth for the consol and a 250/1 that I got cheap from someone I know that traded rigs. I plan on running another 300/2 up front for comps, trying out one of the new Pio HU's, and will be deadening the entire rig as I had done with my truck.

Soooo....I need comps..... I'm reading a bunch on here and listening to all the comps I can, which is limited as not much around here. I listened to some Focals, and only liked the K2P's in that line...or should I say the most...better tweeter. I went to another store that had the Pros along with some Diamond Hex silks and to my surprise I actually liked the sound of the Diamonds over the Pros at flat levels. I also listened to a Morel Elate 3 way set with Primo tweets, and I must say...THAT was very nice, though these were installed in a car at a custom shop running off multiple Zappcos.

My dilemma is what comps to best compliment the stealth knowing I prefered The Hex silks over the Pros, loved the sound of the Morels, but can't audition much else? Are the Rainbow Germs similar in sound to either of these?.....maybe some CDT sets? Are the Hex's that good? Don't really want to go over say $450 or so on these. Professional and non- profesional advise welcome.

One other if I may....is that Stealth going to cut it....compared to my twin 103v2's

Motovet
08-28-2006, 03:21 AM
??

Motovet
08-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Hmmm... no response? Maybe the first post was a bit longer than need be.

A more direct version:

Wifes Tahoe gets a new system. Regardless of my prior tastes, this go round the Diamond S600s comps sound the best to me (for the money), out of the few sets available for me to demo. The Morel Elates also were very nice, but a tad over the $450 budget I have for the fronts. Question is....are there comps of better quality, or sound better to any of you with the same charactaristics as the Diamonds?

I already have JL stealth and 250/1 for this install. Plan on running a 300/2 to power the 6.5's Pioneer Premier HU running any ol coax's in the back. And as in previous installs, all the deadener necessary. Anyone?

Motovet
08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
??

Motovet
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Okay....what speaker of better quality has the same sound charactaristics as the Hex's?

griffee
08-29-2006, 08:52 PM
I hate to say give you the old cliche' of trying using the "search button", but I have no choice.....Search.Help isn't very abundant here because most don't know the answer to your question, the answer to your questions also come with a ton a variables, and the ones who actually can answer your questions have answered so many many questions like yours that they are flat out tired of answering anymore.

So your best bet is search this forum, and other forums as most of the component questions have been answered at one time or another.Sorry that dosen't help you more specifically.

This would have been a great place to look to maybe help you but nobody really wanted to play along.So it is what is:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176800

bigmac16
08-29-2006, 08:54 PM
I have not heard the diamonds,bostons, or morels,so can't compare them, i have heard oz audio,cdthd and 07's,digital desings,, and few others,all those are nice but i like the rainbow profi's best,but it is all in individual taste.

bimma85
08-29-2006, 08:56 PM
What sounds best to one person, may sound horrible to another person ;).
Sounds like you have a pretty good selection to hear locally. Go with what ya like the best and be sure to put them in a kick *** install and you'll be good to go.

Pr0d1gy
08-29-2006, 09:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/OZ-AUDIO-MATRIX-ME180CS-6-5-2-WAY-COMPONENT-SET-NEW-06_W0QQitemZ250023556617QQihZ015QQcategoryZ32819QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've heard these in person, tremendous SQ & play very loud if you want them to. They have the smoothness & transparancy you would want from an audiophile quality set of comps.

Reviews:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductReview.aspx?ProductID=15332

http://ecoustics.audioreview.com/cat/carreview/car-audio/speakers/oz-audio/PRD_112510_1805crx.aspx#reviews

People will dismiss these reviews as irrelavent b/c they were written by consumers, but you will find them very telling if you read through them. This set of comps has won award after award and, to be honest, I wrote them off when they were suggested to me. Then I went & listened to them & I haven't really wanted anything else since.

addisdar
08-30-2006, 01:06 AM
X2 on the OZ MEs.

Pr0d1gy heard them in my car.

Motovet
08-30-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks guys. I have actually searched this forum and others to death...and that probably makes it even tougher for me. I do have a few brands to listen to alright. Focals at one place, Bostons and Diamonds at another, Morels at another, Jl's..... Problem is they are all at different locations, and of course all set up differently....mostly bad. I like many have very picky ears, and if I wanted to hear all the comps I was interested in the fuel cost could probably buy me any comp I wanted, and no way to demo them side by side. I have been here before....and whatever I get will get the proper install. Oz.....Hmmmm.

suleman36
08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I am really curious about the OZ CS 180's myself and have a local guy who wants to sell them for $325 plus tax. He says they are the best comp he sells and wants me to hear them. I currently have the CDT HD 62 set and for the $300 price range, its a hec of a set. I whould look into either CDT HD 62 set or OZ CS180 even though i havent heard it, others have good things to say and do well in competition time after time.

rocky 59
08-30-2006, 01:24 PM
i see you are thinkin about using a mono amp on the fronts?

if your doing this please dont. mono signal FTL

Chevyaudio
08-30-2006, 01:34 PM
How is a 300/2 a mono amp? Rock=n00b

audiolife
08-30-2006, 02:02 PM
if you like snappy but mellow try some memphis mcsq's or if you want to light up the place look for beyma.

addisdar
08-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I am really curious about the OZ CS 180's myself and have a local guy who wants to sell them for $325 plus tax. He says they are the best comp he sells and wants me to hear them. I currently have the CDT HD 62 set and for the $300 price range, its a hec of a set. I whould look into either CDT HD 62 set or OZ CS180 even though i havent heard it, others have good things to say and do well in competition time after time.

I wouldn't advertise that. They will loose their dealer status for selling them at that price.

rocky 59
08-30-2006, 02:04 PM
How is a 300/2 a mono amp? Rock=n00b

o okay i read it as he was gonna use the 250/1 OR the 300/2 so im not n00b just cant Fing read.

your truck is gay and i humped your GF

Motovet
08-30-2006, 02:32 PM

I would be interested in your opinion on that comparo.....as I have entertained one of CDT's lesser sets. Problem is I can't audition those....among others I'm interested in.:crap:

Motovet
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
My perfect sound board would be:

1. Rainbow Germs: Read tons of good things on those.
2. Oz 180cs: Same as above.
3. CDT EF61FG w/TW25 tweet: Looks promising at a lesser price point. (could buy more Ramm Audio deadener).
4. Diamond Hex silks: Same as the CDT's, Plus to my ears they beat out my long time favorites....B.O. pros.

From my brief demos it seems I like the sound of silks over the metal....getting older I guess.

I'm sure more could be added to this list...but there is more to life than stressing over comps for the wifes Tahoe....I'm terrible with decisions.:rolleyes:

headless
08-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Germaniums, IMO. I've heard several people unhappy with the hex's compared to lines that don't compare to the germanium's at all. Though i've never heard the hex's personally.