PDA

View Full Version : Battery Backup Question

tstein
08-26-2006, 04:40 PM
I just had a clifford RSX3.5 (same electronics as Viper 791xv) professionally installed. I had the "brain" hidden in the dash such that it ain't easy to get to. Obviously this is a "smart" alarm in that it won't trigger and go off continuously for days if you let it.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a "battery backup" system that is right for me. I've heard some horror stories about these self-contained siren's with built-in batteries triggering for hours\days when the battery goes dead (if you are out of town or something).

Let's take a scenerio...
1) I'm out of the country for weeks. Car alarm is armed.
2) Car battery goes dead

What would be ideal for me is that the "brain" remains powered and armed off the backup battery, but doesn't go off for 4 days straight.

Let's take another scenerio:
1) Car alarm is armed.
2) Thief busts window. Alarm goes off.
3) Thief disconnects battery from car

Now, ideally here, I would want the alarm to continue going off.

Is this what the 520T does? Or are there any other battery backup solutions that would meet my needs?

Thanks a lot
Tomas

KaeZoo
08-26-2006, 06:54 PM
The 520T is a backup battery for the alarm brain. It can detect when the battery is disconnected and set off the alarm. Otherwise the brain will keep its normal options; 30 or 60 second siren output, nuisance prevention circuitry that shuts down a zone after a certain number of false alarms, etc.

tstein
08-27-2006, 01:17 PM
The 520T is a backup battery for the alarm brain. It can detect when the battery is disconnected and set off the alarm. Otherwise the brain will keep its normal options; 30 or 60 second siren output, nuisance prevention circuitry that shuts down a zone after a certain number of false alarms, etc.

Excellent. That seems like a good solution for me. Is this typically installed such that the backup battery bypasses the main fuse blocks? IE: if a thief were to take a bat to the fuse boxes, it *might* allow the brain to continue to function.

Thanks for the info
Tomas

KaeZoo
08-27-2006, 05:59 PM
It doesn't matter where the main power comes from. If the power is disconnected, the backup battery takes over. There's no place you can connect main power in the vehicle that won't lose power if the battery is disconnected completely.