PDA

View Full Version : Trying to match sensitivities for DIY's

heyman421
08-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Hey gang.

I'm getting closer and closer to finalizing my plans for my diy's components, and i had a few final questions.

I'm curious how big of a deal a .5dB difference in the sensitivity of my tweeter and my midrange is going to be? It's a dome tweet and a dome midrange, both are morels, but the midrange is only 90.5dB and the tweet is 91dB sensitivity...

Is this going to be a big deal?

Will the speakers become non-linear through the volume range?

T3mpest
08-25-2006, 04:40 AM
tweets are usually more effecient than mids. It happens, not a big deal. Just use the gains to help match sensativity. If you couldn't level match horns would be totally useless (100+db effeciency)

heyman421
08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
good point.

i'm eskited, never heard 3-ways in a car

and never heard a dome midrange, period

i hope i don't hate it :)

it's morel, tho, so i'm sure it's just dandy

FoxPro5
08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
You can make up for that either with gain or with attenuation from the HU. Compared to my midbass, my tweeters are usually -3 db and my midranges are -2 db or so. I do this through the T/A menu on my Eclipse. What HU do you run??

alphakenny1
08-25-2006, 05:20 PM
yea as stated earlier its not too big of a deal. but if you notice something, you can adjust the gain or attenuation via your processing.

squeak9798
08-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Incase you haven't figured it out by now.....it's not a big deal :)

Are you going active or passive?

heyman421
08-25-2006, 08:28 PM
i WAS gonna go passive, but i'm gonna forego my substage for a while, and spend the money to go active.

if everything goes as planned, i should be more than happy living without a sub for a few months :)

Plus, my hifonics is on ebay as we speak, so there's no turning back or changing my mind now

thch
08-25-2006, 11:06 PM
Is this going to be a big deal?

likely not. the ratings are nominal. in an app they can be a bit higher or lower based upon frequency and angle and location -- closer speakers end up being louder in most general cases.

Will the speakers become non-linear through the volume range?
not more so then would be normally expected. human hearing changes across the volume range and so does the stresses on the speakers. given these two things, the speakers could exibit interactions that change with volume. but this will be minimal in normal use and can't be avoided anyways.

heyman421
08-26-2006, 12:58 AM
ya, i noticed with my last component sets that low frequencies don't tend to sound ilke they increase in volume as much as the highs and mids, so this time around i'm gonna run 4-ohm woofers, and 8 ohm midrange and tweets, so the lows have 2x the power so i'll be able to more realistically match volumes