PDA

View Full Version : Mounting speakers

Igotskills
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I see all the great installations here and wanted to ask for some help installing my speakers. Here is a pic of the hole I have to work with. 5597 Here is what it looks like when the grill is on. 5598. I have enough clearance and depth for the speaker I have (polk mmc6500). I see a lot of people use a speaker ring but how would I make that work as far as filling in the sides to make it look flush ect. Thanks for your help.

squeak9798
08-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I would, personally, ditch the stock grill and make a mounting baffle in the exact shape of the opening for the grill, and mount it where the stock grill would be mounted. From the pic, looks like it would be a fairly easy task, assuming you are handy with a jigsaw.

Cover it in color matching vinyl, and it would look pretty much stock and be easy to do, yet give the speaker a very solid mounting surface.

Igotskills
08-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Is a mounting baffle the same thing as a speaker ring ? I have a full woodworking shop so I am very capable of the diy part I am just not that experienced at car audio installs.

squeak9798
08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
A "speaker ring" is just that....a ring. Typically not much wider than the diameter of the speaker itself, and the speaker ring is circular shaped.

A "mounting baffle" is larger piece of wood, larger than the speaker itself and shaped to whatever dimensions it needs to be.