PDA

View Full Version : Max Speaker Power??

specialagentPK
08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok if a speaker has a RMS of 90 and a Max power of 270 could the speaker be run at something like 120 watts??

mikeyboc
08-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Forget about Max ratings altogether. If it is rated at 90 Rms, that is what you go by. It is possible to get an amp that puts out more than the recomended RMS for the speakers, but you will need to set your gains carefully. If there is doubt on if you can do it, then just stick to the RMS rating.

DejaWiz
08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
This might be of some help...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63933

Don't throw caution in the wind in doing this with an amp that outputs more rms than the speakers can handle. You might get better results by setting the HU volume slightly more than the 75% rule of thumb and then compensate for distortion and clipping.

donpisto
08-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I agree with Mikey. Honestly it all depends on the speaker. If you got some crap pyle speaker and say somethin like an MB quart, MB quart will handle more than 90 and it depends on how much. just as mikey said, watch your gains. its better to keep them low and be safe than to keep them high and unsure if you're clipping or what not.

T3mpest
08-24-2006, 03:02 AM
I agree with Mikey. Honestly it all depends on the speaker. If you got some crap pyle speaker and say somethin like an MB quart, MB quart will handle more than 90 and it depends on how much. just as mikey said, watch your gains. its better to keep them low and be safe than to keep them high and unsure if you're clipping or what not.

Not really. If he has a 60 watt amp that's he pushing into clipping that's actually putting out 100 watts, he may not even get the cooling benefit of full excursion. Just lots of heat with no real cooling. At least if it's a clean signal he'll see full excursion, depending on frequency. Basically overpowered>underpowered.

Edit: NVM, didn't read your post carefully enough, I'm a bit high right now off of bug spray (accident) and it's 2 in the morning.