PDA

View Full Version : Need help tuning my system

desines
08-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Hello all,

Just finished install of my new sounds system. Consists of Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP along with Eclipse 4 channel amp (36401), Kappa Perfect 6.1 components for the front, Infinity Basslink subwoofer, and stock 6 x 8's in the rear.

I have read about rear fill and am wondering if leaving in the stock speakers will suffice? I do want a little bit of rear fill as i sometimes have passengers in the back. This is all installed in a Nissan Xterra btw.

As far as tuning goes though, the HU has built in TA, EQ, and xover. I am running the components active and am wanting to tweak the HU for optimal sound. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do i set the TA first? Set the xovers first? Set the EQ first? Gains on the amp are set already. How do I begin tuning?

What ranges would be acceptable ranges for the xovers to be set at? Is TA necessary? I have the speakers in the stock locations.

I listen to pretty much all types of music except country music and am going for more clarity than boom.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the noob questions.

GrnEydDvl
08-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I am no expert in system tuning but since your post has sat for a day here goes:

I would set time alignment first. This setting is not going to change based on the other settings. It isn't necessary like crossovers are necessary. That is, you won't hurt your speakers or introduce massive distortion by not setting it. But properly set it can have a dramatic impact on your imaging. Do it.

Crossovers can come next. Shoot for 80hz on the sub low pass and high pass to the comps but try 100hz too to see if you like it better. 80hz is better as far as imaging is concerned if your mids can play down that low. You can play with the slopes but I like 24db on my comps high pass and 12 db on my subs (trunk car seat up). You might do better with a 24db slope on your subs since you are in a SUV. Experiment to find what works and sounds best for you.

EQ last. EQ should be saved for last to make minor adjustments if necessary.