PDA

View Full Version : I want to make my own computer speaker system

phantom240
08-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Okay, so im tired of over priced mediocre at best computer speaker setups at your local shop, and ive hit a creative nerve lately resulting in the complete revamping of my car's stereo. But thats besides the point. I want to make MY OWN computer stereo setup. Ghetto is in teh cards too. I was thinking of taking a computer power supply and using a 4 channel amp off of it, small of course... and taking the sound output from the computer, and splitting it with some sort of jack to turn headphone jack into rca. then i would run 2 6.5's or 4x6's (i have both layin around) both in their own custom designed boxes for maximum output (probably snail shell design) and then bridge the other 2 channels for my kicker 8" sub, also custom box (bandpass or snailshell?) but anyways... yeah just a few thoughts on how i can make this happen. What can i use to pull power from my wall? i was thinking of using a car charger with the ends cut of but thats tarded lookin IMO. Any suggestions?

negativezeroz
08-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Im thinking about it too. But I am planning on getting just a cheap (but decent) stereo reciever and running some 6.5 comps off that then bridge two channels to a nice 8". So that way I dont have to worry about using a PC power supply (can be costly) or getting a power inverter.

JimJ
08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd rather spend a little extra and do it right than go ghetto and be constantly upgrading or be unsatisfied with its performance...

j3bus2k3
08-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Heres a breakdown on my college dromroom computer setup to give you an idea of price and options:

Kenwood Receiver - $110 shipped off ebay
Sony 5 1/4" bookshelfs - $55 from Best Buy
Subwoofer using TangBand 8 and 100W Plate amp - $150 (including wood)

The next upgrade are the bookshelfs. I have plans using a Dayton 6" and a TangBand tweeter. The bill for them is near $100. And BTW...this all sounds kick ***. Its no where near what BigBangTheory made but its a **** fine setup that will outsound most.

espguitarist91
08-20-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a home receiver hooked up to the computer with a mini jack to rca wire. It is powering 2 floor speakers and it sound(ed) good. The surrounds on the sub dry rotted though. I dont see any problems, but i have no idea what im talking about:D

phantom240
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
... i dont have a home reciever, and have no idea what to look for in one, and car amps and stuff is up my alley. Plus i like custom setups.

JimJ
08-20-2006, 10:15 PM
If you can afford to half-*** it, you can afford to do it right ;)

Check Ebay or Audiogon, those will be your best places to find deals.

phantom240
08-20-2006, 10:21 PM
ebay is too hard to find crap worth buyin. Gotta sort out through a million garbage/ price gouging ads to find one worth lookin at. Besided i got temporarily suspended cuz a dispute i have with a seller. *******. i hate ppl who dont fully explain that an amp is dead and they know it, but email u later that it is IN FACT dead. and didnt say Selling as-is.. tard.

ballstothewall
08-20-2006, 10:28 PM
:yumyum: I recommend you buy 8 Dayton 7" Reference series woofers, 2 Morel MDT29's for tweets and split them up into a TMMMM design. The cabinet is a hair under 3 cubes ported to 40hz, 1" of polyfill all around, bracing, and a crossover network.

You will be amazed, course then I could be partial to the idea/design...:yumyum:

Rawb
08-20-2006, 10:29 PM
here is a tip for ya.... vary cheap way to do it is... go to local thrift stores or garage sales... you will find vary cheap old school speakers that are super nice....im talkin like $20-$50 depending on brand and age.... they are awesome.... now get a cheap reciever... and boom you have a bangin setup for really cheap.... its not that hard and sounds great...

JimJ
08-20-2006, 10:30 PM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1159495958

?

Audiogon's sellers are a few leagues above Ebay ;)

phantom240
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
ebay receivers are outrageously expensive.

Holy **** home audio receivers are jacked the **** up.

baseballer1100
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
:yumyum: I recommend you buy 8 Dayton 7" Reference series woofers, 2 Morel MDT29's for tweets and split them up into a TMMMM design. The cabinet is a hair under 3 cubes ported to 40hz, 1" of polyfill all around, bracing, and a crossover network.

You will be amazed, course then I could be partial to the idea/design...:yumyum:

Where can you get a crossover network?

JimJ
08-20-2006, 10:40 PM

You think that's bad, try looking at seperate components...;) :eek:

JimJ
08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1158699266

Dude, if you don't snap that up, I think I will!

:D

90accordman
08-20-2006, 10:59 PM

ebay is check, the only way you cant find cheap stuff on ebay is if your
1. lazy
2. dumb

phantom240
08-20-2006, 11:15 PM
lol on that.

that last link. **** yeah thats nice. but i dont have 275 + shipping to spend right now. i need that for my motor, oh well, guess im stickin with ****** comp speakers for a while.