PDA

View Full Version : horrible Best Buy experience!!!

MiSeRy
08-19-2006, 10:09 PM
i had an appointment to have my viper 791xv remote start alarm installed today. it ended up costing me $300 to have the alarm installed plus 2 mini piezo sirens a proximity sensor and the trunk release and a relay. i was told it would take 5 hours for the install. i was there when the doors opened this morning( i live an hour away).well i go in and pay for itmy wife couldnt go with me bc she had to work, so i told my sister if she would follow me up there and hang out for a while id pay for her gas and take her and her bf to lunch at red lobster and a movie. well we leave my car for installation and leave for 5 hours and 45 minutes. at this point my sister had to leave for the hour drive back to where we are from in order to have her bf to work on time. the guy in the audio shop tells me it will be atleast another hour which makes me upset but i didnt say anything. i figured id browse and play the video games. well an hour goes by and i go check on it. they tell me it will be another hour or two. WHAT THE ****?:mad: so now im pissed. i proceed to tell them they have had plenty of time and that i am trapped at best buy with no way of going . so i wait another 2 ****in hours and then it is finally finished at 8 pm. i spent 4 ****ing hours wandering around best buy waiting for my car. finally he is finished and goes over it with me. so i leave get about 5 minutes down the road and turn on the radio and low and beholdmy ****ing radio doesnt work. so back to best buy i go. i get there and the installer who installed my alarm had left. (BTW my radio would power on but only said"CODE" onthe screen). i spoke with another installer and he said i would have to call honda and get them to help me. ARE U ****ING KIDDING ME? I PAID $300 DOLLARS TO HAVE THEM WORK ON MY CAR AND NOW I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PROBLEM TO GET MY CAR BACK TO THE POINT WHERE IT WAS B4 I TOOK IT TO BEST BUY. that place will never touch my car again. :furious:

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

ruger
08-19-2006, 10:13 PM
:crap: that *****

MiSeRy
08-19-2006, 10:14 PM
it took them 10 hours to do my car, which is double the time i was told it would take :mad:

pickup1
08-19-2006, 10:15 PM
all that plus 300 to install?!
theres a place in arlington that will put a remote start,2 way,including the alarm for $300.

MiSeRy
08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
it was $300 to install the remote start, 2 mini piezo's, a bypass module, a proximity sensor, trunk release and relay.he also hooked it up so that the alarm goes off if the trunk or the hood is opened. he said he was supposed to charge 39.99 a pop for the trunk and the hood sounding the alarm. i dont know if thats tru or he was feeding me a line of bs. he didnt charge me if he was supposed to. its not the install price i am pissed about at all, its the fact that it took 5 **** hours longer than it was supposed to . 4 hours and 20 minutes of which i was actually in the best buy store waiting for my car

Wonderbread
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Go find your manual.

What happened was this - your factory Honda stereo contains an onboard theft deterrent. Whenever it's removed or your battery is disconnected (I believe) you need to re-enable it with this code.

Go to your manual and find your code. All you have to do is type it in through your stereo preset buttons.

It's not *that* big of a deal. I understand you being pissed for the time thing, but that also has to be expected. Ever heard of the planning fallacy? Things ALWAYS take longer than you expect.

Your installer should know that the Honda things do this, but cmon, it's in your manual.

Wonderbread
08-19-2006, 10:23 PM
it was $300 to install the remote start, 2 mini piezo's, a bypass module, a proximity sensor, trunk release and relay.he also hooked it up so that the alarm goes off if the trunk or the hood is opened. he said he was supposed to charge 39.99 a pop for the trunk and the hood sounding the alarm. i dont know if thats tru or he was feeding me a line of bs. he didnt charge me if he was supposed to. its not the install price i am pissed about at all, its the fact that it took 5 **** hours longer than it was supposed to . 4 hours and 20 minutes of which i was actually in the best buy store waiting for my car

He IS supposed to charge you 40 bucks for each of those. It's a relay that they have to install and it's a standard charge.

MiSeRy
08-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Go find your manual.

What happened was this - your factory Honda stereo contains an onboard theft deterrent. Whenever it's removed or your battery is disconnected (I believe) you need to re-enable it with this code.

Go to your manual and find your code. All you have to do is type it in through your stereo preset buttons.

It's not *that* big of a deal. I understand you being pissed for the time thing, but that also has to be expected. Ever heard of the planning fallacy? Things ALWAYS take longer than you expect.

Your installer should know that the Honda things do this, but cmon, it's in your manual.

it shouldnt take double the time regardless. and yea the radio thing isnt as big of a deal although i felt thats a problem they should have handled since they were being paid. the thing that really set me off was the time issue. if i wasnt so pissed about that, the radio thing wouldnt have bothered me at all

KaeZoo
08-19-2006, 10:25 PM
You don't know your radio's anti-theft code? You would have had the same problem next time the battery got disconnected then. Best Buy didn't do anything wrong by disconnecting the battery doing an alarm install; though you could make the case that they should have warned you about the potential problem, there's not much they could have done to prevent it. Your radio goes into anti-theft code lock whenever it loses power. You need to go to the dealer to have it reset, and there's nothing they can do about that either.

As for your other complaint, you have a legitimate gripe that they took longer for the installation than they originally estimated. However, I'd personally rather they took extra time to make sure everything was done right instead of rushing to get it done fast and get you on your way. You can't always foresee what's going to be a problem or take up extra time during a complex installation.

My advice: provided the alarm installation is good quality, chill out. If the dealer charges you for resetting your radio, then you can call BB and if you're not a jerk to them, they may be willing to reimburse you or find another way to make you happy.

pimpedout97x
08-19-2006, 10:28 PM
bestbuy FTmfL

SATX210
08-20-2006, 12:48 AM

piezo install is 19.99 a piece, prox sensor is another 39.99, pin switches are 24.99 a piece, trunk release is 44.99. just like everything retail, installers get backed up by helping others and checking in cars. it happens now get used to it. should have searched or asked others first. as far as the radio, it should be in your manual or call the dealership and give them the vin#. put it in yourself.
maybe you should be more of a car audio enthusiast and install it yourself.
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :

58customs
08-20-2006, 12:59 AM
10hrs!

I thought the 3hr wait I had to get new tires was long.

Sure you'll never get those 10hrs back but atleast it's done.

ilvwhtgrls
08-21-2006, 12:58 AM
thats way too long for an alarm install. i would go get your code reset from the dealer and file a damage claim at the best buy. also, talk to the sales or service manager to refund you part of the install due to the inconvience of waiting an additional 5 hours and going to the dealership. be polite but firm and you should be able to get a ton of money back, this is coming from a former BBY mobile manager.

60ndown
08-21-2006, 01:07 AM
i would call management somewhere and complain , threatening better buisness burea etc, i bet if your polite but serious you will get a full refund?

Shyne151
08-21-2006, 01:53 AM
He IS supposed to charge you 40 bucks for each of those. It's a relay that they have to install and it's a standard charge.

Since when have you needed a relay for a merc switch or hoodpin?

Chris94L
08-21-2006, 02:07 AM
The installer I have used for all my alarm needs is about an hour away from me, and has always had it done quicker than they said (have had 4 installs done [1 alarm in mustang, 2 remote start add on in mustang, 3 alarm install in friends mustang, and 4 alarm and remote start from my old mustang installed in truck]). Good installers I wouldn't think of using BB or CC for installs of that nature.

Lil Poot
08-21-2006, 02:11 AM
what did you expect going to best buy?

dkguitarist
08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
i have a shop in el reno that'll do my 791xv remote start for $200. i don't have any add-ons yet. their installer said it'd be an 8 hr install job tho. (gotta get my car checked in, then start testing all the wires to make sure they work, etc. and depends on if he has to refer to the manual at all and if he needs to take breaks or anything.

i'm not gonna complain about it. whoopee. expect a very long wait time on remote starts.

but the shop did my tint in about 3 or 4 hrs. bite your tongue and get over it. at least they didn't charge you extra for your add-ons ****.

Shyne151
08-21-2006, 01:46 PM
The installer I have used for all my alarm needs is about an hour away from me, and has always had it done quicker than they said (have had 4 installs done [1 alarm in mustang, 2 remote start add on in mustang, 3 alarm install in friends mustang, and 4 alarm and remote start from my old mustang installed in truck]). Good installers I wouldn't think of using BB or CC for installs of that nature.

I work for CC and do a good job. Actually I think I might have a few pics of my installs at work. But I will admit it's hit or miss... our assistant manager is horrid.

t-rex audio
08-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Best Buy didn't do anything wrong by disconnecting the battery doing an alarm install;

diconnect the battery and how will they test for the right wires if theres is no power in the car??
can't take a reading on a dmm, probe or ever a test light if there isn't any power.

KaeZoo
08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
diconnect the battery and how will they test for the right wires if theres is no power in the car??
can't take a reading on a dmm, probe or ever a test light if there isn't any power.

First you test and identify your wires, then you disconnect the battery and make your connections. I'm not saying that's the way every installer does it. I will say it's not unreasonable for the battery to be disconnected during a remote start installation.

I always test for every wire before I make any connections in the vehicle, if only because I need to plan out component placement and set up my bench wiring to run the right wires to the right locations.

MiSeRy
08-21-2006, 07:39 PM
i have a shop in el reno that'll do my 791xv remote start for $200. i don't have any add-ons yet. their installer said it'd be an 8 hr install job tho. (gotta get my car checked in, then start testing all the wires to make sure they work, etc. and depends on if he has to refer to the manual at all and if he needs to take breaks or anything.

i'm not gonna complain about it. whoopee. expect a very long wait time on remote starts.

but the shop did my tint in about 3 or 4 hrs. bite your tongue and get over it. at least they didn't charge you extra for your add-ons ****.

nice job with the name calling douchebag. wouldnt have been an issue of time had they quoted me the correct amount of time. i dont know if maybe you are just not capable of reading and comprehending, but the big deal is i was told 5 hours, had to drive out of town to get it done, and had a way of going for 5 hours and 40 minutes, bc i paid my sister to take me and carry me around, but she had to be at work and had to drive back to where we live. the problem was that i was stuck out of town with out a way of going for 4 hours and 20 minutes. in all 5 hours longer than i was told it would take. had i been quoted 10 hours for an install then it would have been no biggie. i dont know what your personal life consists of but i have a wife and a family to attend to and being stuck out of town isnt a very good thing to me, so you can take your comment and shove it up your *** :D

jeepintn
08-21-2006, 11:55 PM
heh, well at the best buy near my house, a guy there installed a satellite radio into an Audi, then the next day the dash caught fire and burned it to the ground, so im now definitely saying best buy FTMFL

4runnercrazy
08-22-2006, 12:00 AM
**** it took them to 5 hours + to install my Deck, in a 86 4runner, luckily i didn't have to pay (free install :)) but i was stuck at that best buy, with no cash (i later figured out that jamba juice took credit) just hanging out.........**** BB, i like CC so much better

4runnercrazy
08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
:*******:
nice job with the name calling douchebag. wouldnt have been an issue of time had they quoted me the correct amount of time. i dont know if maybe you are just not capable of reading and comprehending, but the big deal is i was told 5 hours, had to drive out of town to get it done, and had a way of going for 5 hours and 40 minutes, bc i paid my sister to take me and carry me around, but she had to be at work and had to drive back to where we live. the problem was that i was stuck out of town with out a way of going for 4 hours and 20 minutes. in all 5 hours longer than i was told it would take. had i been quoted 10 hours for an install then it would have been no biggie. i dont know what your personal life consists of but i have a wife and a family to attend to and being stuck out of town isnt a very good thing to me, so you can take your comment and shove it up your *** :D

**** happens, it happened to me(not as bad as you) but just let it go, no reason in being angry now, its in the past

MiSeRy
08-22-2006, 12:13 AM
:*******:

**** happens, it happened to me(not as bad as you) but just let it go, no reason in being angry now, its in the past

agreed, its over with i posted the day it happened as soon as i got home just to vent. only thing i said to them was to the person at the cash register at best buy saying they had had plenty of time already, but i went no further due to the fact that i didnt want them to rush just to get it out and then not do a good job. so i said nothing to the manager and didnt make a big deal out of it at best buy. i was done commenting till dk guitarist popped off at the mouth. but yea its over and done with i've already handled the radio code deal. started out as a simple vent.

mokedaddy
08-22-2006, 12:26 AM

Since when isnt it standard to put a hood pin on a remote start in the first place?

azbass
08-22-2006, 12:34 AM
a full remote start alarm and adding all the other crap. takes time, they may have run in to some problems... but they misjudged their time for the person to install it.

take it to a pro shop next time, especially for an alarm install.

azbass
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Since when isnt it standard to put a hood pin on a remote start in the first place?

you have to have a pin for the hood for a remote start, to kill it if the hood is open/etc.

mokedaddy
08-22-2006, 12:37 AM
you have to have a pin for the hood for a remote start, to kill it if the hood is open/etc.

That was my point. The installer told him that he wasnt charging him for that and its usually $40 or something.

azbass
08-22-2006, 12:38 AM
First you test and identify your wires, then you disconnect the battery and make your connections. I'm not saying that's the way every installer does it. I will say it's not unreasonable for the battery to be disconnected during a remote start installation.

I always test for every wire before I make any connections in the vehicle, if only because I need to plan out component placement and set up my bench wiring to run the right wires to the right locations.

you dont need to disconect the batt. as long as you test with a meter and NOT a test light you are good. (unless you know how to use a test light)

KaeZoo
08-22-2006, 01:24 AM
you dont need to disconect the batt. as long as you test with a meter and NOT a test light you are good. (unless you know how to use a test light)

I didn't say you need to disconnect the battery. I said it's not unreasonable to expect it to be disconnected. I don't usually disconnect it, but when I'm tapping constant power wires at the ignition cylinder I don't want to take the chance of blowing a maxi fuse or a fusible link. Sometimes it's tight and there's lots of metal structure around. I'm also not a big fan of the sting you get when your hands are sweaty and you brush the metal in the dash while in contact with 12v. Other installers may be more cautious than me as well.

Also, don't expect every independent shop to be better at alarm installs than chain stores. There are plenty of shops that will hack out an alarm/RS in a couple hours and just throw everything in with a bunch of t-taps. You can find bad installers ANYWHERE.

azbass
08-22-2006, 01:26 AM
not blowing somthing up ftw.

AphexTwin
08-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Is that $300 including the price of the alarm or just for the install?

ngsm13
08-22-2006, 01:36 AM
What make/model/year vehicle was this?

nG

bumpinne0n
08-22-2006, 02:22 AM
This thread reminds me of what happened to my car. There's a local shop here that's been here for as long as I can remember. I took my car in to get my alarm installed, they told me I would need another key for the bypass module. I went and had a key made, $83. Left the car, went back to get it, found my extra key and the module I had given them in the box. They charged me $49 for a different module. So that's about $100 I wasted on the universal bypass module and the key I had made.

So I get home and decide to test it out. The ****ing thing doesn't work. You can open the door from the inside and it doesn't go off until you slam the door, hard. I open my hood and guess what, no hood pin either. Try to open the trunk, nothing. I took it back the next day to get the alarm part fixed, at least. They fixed it and I was just so glad it was fixed I didn't care about the hood pin or the trunk release.

A few weeks later I'm doing something to my car, I don't remember what. I looked under the steering wheel and there's wires everywhere. Not one wire-tie or anything. It looks like complete ****.

Now, half the time when you arm the "alarm" the doors don't lock. I have to move the wire that runs under my carpet to the dash to make it work and some times that doesn't even work. The install came with a lifetime warranty but I don't think I want them ****ing with my car again, so I'll just correct their mistake some other time I guess. What would happen if someone broke into my car because the doors weren't locked? Would the shop that did the install be responsible for it? It hasn't done it in a few days but that doesn't mean it won't start again. Needless to say I won't be going back to that shop ever again.

ramos
08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Since when have you needed a relay for a merc switch or hoodpin?

I was wondering the same thing . Pin switches are a pretty simple thing . What's the relay for ? :)

MiSeRy
08-22-2006, 07:45 PM
What make/model/year vehicle was this?

nG

it is an 02 honda accord ex coupe v6. the only reason i took it to best buy was bc the audio shop where i live told me that they would not install it bc i did not purchase it from them.

supposedly the relay is so that i can open the trunk with the alarm remote.

in the 4 hours an 20 minutes that i was there, i saw the installer doing a whole lot of standing around up front nowhere near my car laffing and talking. this was another reason it was pissing me off.

everything is back to working and seems to be ok so i guess the end result is ok except for the fact that i havent looked under the dash at the wiring yet and i wasnt told where the valet switch is. so i have some searching to do. :D