PDA

View Full Version : CDT or Crystal

kicker06
08-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I am just wondering, what component would be better for the money, and therefore any component around the $150 range (Not $230 range).

So I am wondering what is a better set?

CDT 61a Classic

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1090

or

Crystal SSCS6?

Or any other component set in the $150 range?

Thanks.

kicker06
08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Or what about the S60 from BA

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3377

jacka
08-19-2006, 07:42 PM
what sound are you looking for?

WhoSayWho?
08-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I have not heard either of the sets you are asking about, but I have been happy with my CDT EF61's. When I was resaerching it seemed that people that had heard both sets thought the EF's were well worth the extra $25 -30.

Bought mine from djdilliodon - he is an authorized dealer and he shipped very fast.

95stroked1500
08-19-2006, 11:56 PM
sscs >>> 61a

Hoodlum007
08-20-2006, 03:44 PM
i am using the cl61a and can not be happier with the quality and sound they offer as well as the power they handle. IMO i would go with the Cdt all the way

audiolife
08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1202
both the crystal and the quarts are livelier

WhoSayWho?
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Not trying to sharpshoot at all, but what do you mean by livelier?

I hear that term used, but i am not sure what it is supposed to express.

I tend to associate the term "livelier" more toward the side of the scale that leads into "bright" and ultimately "harsh." (which some prefer)

I tend to associate "laid back" or "natural" with a more accurate production.
(which others prefer)

kicker06
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Not trying to sharpshoot at all, but what do you mean by livelier?

I hear that term used, but i am not sure what it is supposed to express.

I tend to associate the term "livelier" more toward the side of the scale that leads into "bright" and ultimately "harsh." (which some prefer)

I tend to associate "laid back" or "natural" with a more accurate production.
(which others prefer)

I prefer a warm sound opposed to a Harsh sound.

95stroked1500
08-20-2006, 11:12 PM
crystals are not harsh.

mbq is painful to me.

PatFitz9
08-20-2006, 11:26 PM
yeah the mbq's i have heard have been really harsh with the highs. my buddy has those CDT's and they sound pretty good. never heard the crystals

audiolife
08-20-2006, 11:53 PM
cdt's are good if you like a real flat sound i dont like harsh either but id rather have something that is more lively and tune/tone it down than to be so flat that it cant send a chill up my back reguardless what you do....

WhoSayWho?
08-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Now that i think about it, I heard some MB's one time and I did not like them very much. However, you probably do not need to put too much stock into that because it was on a soundboard and not installed in a car. Furthermore, I will readily admit that Audiolife has a ton more experience than I do and I respect his opnion.

Having said that, I really would look into the CDT Ef's. They have served me well. IMO, they sound very good with the type music I prefer to listen to -- Dave Mathews and the ilk.

It seems to me that speakers seem to go in and out of favor on these forums. when I was looking before, it seemed CDT's were very popular. Now, not so much. You probably will not see many saying that they are bad. More often you will see them described as "unimpressive" or "unspectacular." To me, they are very solid and "natural." Maybe I am wrong, but I really don't think that there are speakers that are that much better in the under $200 range.

However, you might also want to research OZ Audio Vectors. They can be found cheap and I have seen some good reviews. Have not heard them myself.

Audiolife, what do you think of the vectors?

kicker06
08-21-2006, 12:12 AM
cdt's are good if you like a real flat sound i dont like harsh either but id rather have something that is more lively and tune/tone it down than to be so flat that it cant send a chill up my back reguardless what you do....

What do you think of the SSCS6's?

I know the euro fits are around $200 and I did not want to go that high. Thanks for the recommendation though...everyone:)

WhoSayWho?
08-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Sorry, can't help you there.

Oh, and Audiolife, please don't think that I was trying to imply that you personally were bandwaggon jumping. Not the case at all.

And kicker, I would recommend just sending a pm to djdilliodon and asking what your cdt options are under $200. Before I bought from him I did search and found nothing but good reports.

Towncar
08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
A budy of mine has some quarts, and they arent harsh at all. Proper eq adjustments can take care of that.