PDA

View Full Version : Which system?

skirch56
08-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Alright, so i recently baught one of those in the box DVD surround sound system from best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7686998&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat40200050002&id=1134704163586

I was severely dissapointed. So my question is, am i better off buying a speaker system and a seperate reciever. If so these are the ones i was thinking of . . .

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=302-048&ctab=4#Tabs

OR

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6376628&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03049&id=1077624907950

I plan on buying a receiver to give the speakers about 60 watts.
Which is a better way to go?

linvillegorge
08-19-2006, 12:04 PM
You're almost always better off buying seperately as you can usually put together a better system for the money that way. However, my fiance and I split our sound system and she refused to go this way for a couple of reasons. First, just for convenience. And secondly, to limit me and my tendency to upgrade to no end. After testing lots of home theatre in a box (HTIB) systems and reading tons of reviews, we went with the Onkyo HTS780 and I've been very happy with it for the $550ish we paid. I know I could've put together a better system for a little more money, but for the convenience and the price, I'm confident in saying that it's the best you can do if you go with a HTIB.

skirch56
08-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Ok, but i had an in the box system and wasnt impressed. SO i want to go with something like the links above. I was leaning towards the MTX
but right now on parts express Dayton has a 150 watt sub for 120 on sale. I was thinking that would be cool, but if i do that was also thinking about building a the surround speakers. But my question is how difficult would that be?
Also if a receiver's amp is rated at 100 watts rms, and its compatible with speakers from 8 to 16 ohm, does that mean it will only run 50 rms at 16 ohms?
If i build speakers and its not too hard, i was thinking about 3 midbass and a tweeter in each tower, 2 midbass and tweeter center, and 1 midbass and tweeter in rear.
IDEAS?

90accordman
08-19-2006, 08:56 PM
You're almost always better off buying seperately as you can usually put together a better system for the money that way. However, my fiance and I split our sound system and she refused to go this way for a couple of reasons. First, just for convenience. And secondly, to limit me and my tendency to upgrade to no end. After testing lots of home theatre in a box (HTIB) systems and reading tons of reviews, we went with the Onkyo HTS780 and I've been very happy with it for the $550ish we paid. I know I could've put together a better system for a little more money, but for the convenience and the price, I'm confident in saying that it's the best you can do if you go with a HTIB.

My dad has that system and loves it. Its nice sounding for what it is, but i'll stick with my Harmon kardon Reciever, Energy center, rears, and sub, and Cerwin Vega E-715 fronts.

skirch56
08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
another question, if you decided to build a speaker, say you put a tweeter and midrange, do they have to be in seperate chambers. And does their have to be any kinda of crossover or does the reciever take care of that. The reciever i was thinking about is a Yamaha HTR-5930, or i could just buy 5 surround speakers, something with about 110 watt handling at either 8 or 6 ohm
any suggestions, trying to stay under 500 dollars

JimJ
08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
You can mount the woofer and the tweet in the same airspace, yeah...and yes, you need a crossover between them :)

IamDeMan
08-20-2006, 08:56 AM
If you din't like the surround setup in a box. Chances are you won't be terribly impressed with these 2 small speaker sets you linked. The MTX would probably give you a little more of what you want. Stick with what you have until you save up enough to added a proper receiver and much bettwer speakers/subs.

Railrocker
08-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Buy a good receiver and build the speakers yourself. You can build equal if not greater sounding systems than the HTIB's you see in the store for a little less money. Plus its a fun project and you can impress your freinds by telling them all the specs.

Just my 2 cents ;)