PDA

View Full Version : "Seeing" exhaust on a warm day

Vega
08-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I was just driving my car tonight and it was bout 81 degrees outside (hot) but I could could see my exhaust like it was winter time. I wanted to know what causes that? And no it wasn't white puffy smoke like the engine locking it was the normal exhaust that I'm used to seeing but it was hot out instead of cold.

SwaveY
08-19-2006, 04:58 AM
I was just driving my car tonight and it was bout 81 degrees outside (hot) but I could could see my exhaust like it was winter time. I wanted to know what causes that? And no it wasn't white puffy smoke like the engine locking it was the normal exhaust that I'm used to seeing but it was hot out instead of cold.

Are you sure you didnt have the heat on inside the car and it was really just a cold night out? :naughty:

free bump... sounds interesting...

AcidicDreams
08-19-2006, 05:01 AM
does the exhaust have a smell? It could be a problem but alot of times older engines will show exhaust while they warm up even if it's warm out

regal8r
08-19-2006, 05:04 AM
could be water vapor...when ur catalytic converter is working, it converts all the HC (unburned fuel), and CO (carbon monoxide) into H2O (water) and CO2 (carbon dioxide). this wont happen unless ur car has been running long enough to get the exhaust pipes hot enough to vaporize water tho...

arsonbob
08-19-2006, 05:05 AM
It could be water vapor, OR like in my case, in your headgasket is wayyyyy shot it could be coolant. It will smell like coolant burning though, and you'll know it. Run it and see if anything drips out that has a blue or green color.

While many are going to call me out on this, yes my car was leaking coolant from the exhaust, it was that bad, and yes I drove on it until it finally blew (300K on a 94 ford explorer, it was ready)

Vega
08-19-2006, 05:47 AM
No it didn't have a smell to it or anything like that and nothing was dripping, but it was raining earlier and I let me car sit outside instead of the garage if that makes any difference.

Vega
08-19-2006, 05:51 AM
I forgot to mention the car is a 2000 Monte Carlo SS and the car temp was normal. It was a very clean burning fume whatever it was and it looked exactly like it would in the winter time without it being winter time.

regal8r
08-19-2006, 05:51 AM
blue smoke is oil, white is coolant...

Vega
08-19-2006, 06:12 AM
blue smoke is oil, white is coolant...

I def. wasn't blue but more clear/white. So is there something wrong with the coolant?

Vega
08-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Since I'm heading out to work now I'll just see if it still does it.

Vega
08-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Well it only happened for a second this morning and hasn't happended since then. It's strange. :eyebrow:

heyman421
08-19-2006, 03:32 PM
once again, a problem that cannot be diagnosed online

you can check and see if it's your head gasket...
pull your disptick, and look for a film at the top of the oil
pull your plugs, and smell 'em. if they smell like dank clam, your gasket's going
or rent a compression tester and do a wet compression test

but the reason i say you can't diagnose this online is it could be lots of things. condensation evaportating when you start your car, a bad coolant temp. sensor that's making your car run rich when you first start it, a bad o2 sensor, problems with the ecu, bad fuel, bad spark plugs, lots of things

arsonbob
08-20-2006, 04:59 PM
True.

I'd get it checked out by a shop or something, I know that even when my gasket was going... it would only make smake at start up and then stop after it was all burnt away.

Silver
08-22-2006, 08:45 PM
to check and see if its your head gasket. check your coolant level, heads.. ect. take it in , get a compression test on the coolant bottle.. ect.

if coolant gets into your motor, have fun with a new one.

it may start overheating soon if your coolant is low. duh lol.

oh and your motor is a 3800. = nutorious hg's.

my uncle had his replaced, but he has a monte carlo with a 3400 (not ss).