PDA

View Full Version : Looking for improved midbass

HarleyF150
08-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Alright, I have been using Dimond Audio D661s 6.5" components and they perform great, but i feel like I could be getting a little more midbass. Are there any other components around the 150 to 250 price range that will be noticeably better? If not I will just stick with these. I am just unsure as to what else is out there because these comps were my first set of aftermarket speakers. They were being run by a Diamond D3 400.2. Thanks for your help in advance.

DejaWiz
08-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Best advice is to get out there and listen to some comp sets. Be sure to stand off-axis of the speakers to see how they perform, as when you walk into a best buy or circuit city, they have speakers mounted at pretty ideal angles when you stand right smack in the middle of the demo wall. Make sure to ask how many watts are going to each speaker and ask if they can pair an amp up that will be very close to or at their max rms.

pwnt by pat
08-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Why not stick the money in to sound deadening and deaden the hell out of your doors (assumed). You'll get poor midbass with a poor install.

HarleyF150
08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
They were in custom built kick panels, not just stuck in the doors. Could sound deadening still be the problem? That might be a stupid question....

DejaWiz
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Might be. How is your amp set?

superdooperman
08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
They were in custom built kick panels, not just stuck in the doors. Could sound deadening still be the problem? That might be a stupid question....

Who built the kick panels? how well are they deadened? I have seen some "custom" kick panels that are full of holes and weight less then the tweeter. Definately take the speaker out and check how solid those kicks are, and if need be, get some non hardening clay and weigh that thing down.

squeak9798
08-17-2006, 06:21 PM
They were in custom built kick panels, not just stuck in the doors.

Could also be that the kickpanel was built with too small of an internal volume. That will hinder midbass performance.

As will improperly built kickpanels that are flimsy, as was mentioned.

Where is the highpass crossover for them set? What HU are you running? Does it have any equalization?

Any chance that one of the mids has it's polarity reversed? This is typically done to improve imaging and response through the midrange frequencies, but also typically results in decreased midbass impact.