PDA

View Full Version : Warm up car??

K3VIN
08-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Who here warm up their car even if it is only been there for 6-7 hourS??

Twistid
08-16-2006, 08:36 PM
y? its like 90 degrees outside

GrayMatter4tw
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
not I said the duck

zthumper
08-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I gots a heater or whatever its called in the engine compartment that heats it up with a single power cord. SOrry but for some reason I can't think of what its called right now.

K3VIN
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
no i mean shouldnt u warm it up before u drive........

twistedtrik
08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I gots a heater or whatever its called in the engine compartment that heats it up with a single power cord. SOrry but for some reason I can't think of what its called right now.

Block heater? Being around the mechanic profession for years, There really is no need to warm it up to normal temp before driving. However, it is a bad idea to drive it like an idiot right after you start it. Wait until it reaches full temp before doing power brakes, neutral drops and so forth.

zthumper
08-16-2006, 08:44 PM
^^^^^yeah i've never used it but hey i got one lol

bigbangtheory
08-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Nope, I get in and drive, unless its winter. Then and only then I start it up to warm up.

supraman1379
08-16-2006, 09:11 PM
I only start mine up and warm it up in the winter. But other than that...I just get in and go

regal8r
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Block heater? Being around the mechanic profession for years, There really is no need to warm it up to normal temp before driving. However, it is a bad idea to drive it like an idiot right after you start it. Wait until it reaches full temp before doing power brakes, neutral drops and so forth.

this may be true for a port fuel injected car, but not so for TBI and carb'd cars. warming up the engine allows the fuel that is just being 'dumped' down the intake to vaporize and therefore permit combustion of the air/fuel mixture.

Wonderbread
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Your car only needs a minute or two. If it's a reasonably newew car, anyways.

phyphoestilic
08-17-2006, 09:10 PM
I dont think u need to warm it up if ur just gonna get in and cruise, but if ur going to be pushing it (gasing it to the max at every turn) right after u get in than I would warm it up. On my car if u dont warm it up first, u can feel when the transmission shifts and sh!tz cuse the oil isnt flowing smoothly until its warmer.

DJDanWeaver
08-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Wait at least 10 seconds before putting your vehicle into gear after starting it. This allows the oil to flow a bit to crucial areas before putting your engine under load.

If it is cold outside letting it sit for 30 seconds to one minite is a good idea before driving.

Do not drive aggressively until your car is at full operating temperature.

This is for Fuel Injected vehicles.

Alpine CDA-9815
08-17-2006, 10:10 PM
I almost always warm mine up, though if I don't I don't drive it like a bat out of hell.

Wonderbread
08-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Ya, all you're really trying to do is get the oil pressure up to operating range and to let the oil pump move things all the way through the block.

After that's happened, you're basically good to go.

heyman421
08-20-2006, 03:14 PM
also keep in mind that the internals of your engine are designed to fit correctly when they're at normal operating temp.... your pistons have a lot of blowby when they're cold, and driving hard before they're at full temperature can cause permanent piston slap

and also, your valves are some of the last things to get oil in your engine, and driving on dry, or even poorly oiled valves can cause permanently collapsed lifters, which puts a lot of wear and tear on the cam, and can cause serious problems or even bent valves if you have any sort of aggressive cam, and compression loss in ANY engine

most cars that come from the factory with a turbo use cheaper turbos without ball bearings, that actually 'hydroplane' on a layer of oil, so driving hard enough to spool the turbo before the oil up to NOT can destroy your turbo

and block heaters are for diesels..... which are different completely and have to be warm just to start