PDA

View Full Version : WHat are some ways of increasing hp???

Civic_boi334
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
I have a Honda Civic Ex auto. 1.6L. What are some ways of gaining power to the car. Im on a budget so can someone donate a few tips???[B]

Twistid
08-16-2006, 12:01 PM
vtak stickers, spoiler, chrome rims, 4" chrome exhaust tip , stick on hood scoop, color matching window tint with ur interior

Eugenics
08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
honstly, your best bet is to get a new car and or engine. i wouldn't spend money trying to milk 5hp out of that block

Beat_Dominator
08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Headers.

bcleachd
08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
SERIOUSLY? K&N AIR FILTERS :naughty:
''THE BEST THAN THE BEST GET K&N TODAY AND LEAVE THE REST'':naughty:

I need to get paid for that intermercial.:eyebrow: :crap: (I TRY)

IrTehL33T@DBeez
08-16-2006, 07:40 PM
if you have to ask that question in such a vague manner, you're probably too unknowledgable to be modifying a vehicle. don't add aftermarket equipment to a car until you really understand how it functions, and the pros and cons of such aftermarket additions.

Tbusiness06
08-17-2006, 07:12 PM
get a b18c5 motor swap. turbocharger kit. full cat back greddy exause. injen cold air intake(the long kind that goes from the engine to under the bumper). vtech. 17in. racing rims. take out your back seat. carbon fiber hood and trunk. lower it. custom fabricate it to an AWD.

all for the low low price of 20-40k(USD)

when you are sure you wont make your car explode. get a nitrus injection system.

the engine swap is about $5000
turbocharger and all its crap is about $4000
exaust is about $800
cold air intake $160-$210
vteching is about 2-3k depending on who does it.
17in racing rims gonna be about $800
take out your back seat free
carbon fiber hood $500
carbon fiber trunk $700
custom fabrication from FWD to AWD is alot of money. plus the labor which is more money.
lowering is fairly cheap
nitrus systems arent that bad but some can get pretty pricey

sell your civic and get a 95-99 mitsubishi eclipse GSX AWD or a 240sx 300zx is good too.

fwd ***** at drag racing get a rwd or awd they are better.

phyphoestilic
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
vtak stickers, spoiler, chrome rims, 4" chrome exhaust tip , stick on hood scoop, color matching window tint with ur interior

Helly ya, the V-Tech stickers always add 50 HP for some reason, and than throw a SkyLine sticker on there too, I heard that added another 25+. Dont do anything else tho, they just add weight on the car, cept maybe the spoiler, i heard it makes the car fly.

Alpine CDA-9815
08-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Get a new car.

lil_will
08-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Tbusiness, I don't think you should be giving anybody car advice!

how much does it cost to Vtech an engine like the mitsubishi eclipse 4g63 engine(turbocharged)?

Tbusiness06
08-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Tbusiness, I don't think you should be giving anybody car advice!

lil_will, eat my ***. i saw a vtech engine in a mitsubishi on car domain and was curious as to how to do it. :mad: like you've never made a mistake when you were getting started in performance tuning cars.

at least i posted information to help, and not just cut somebody down for trying to.

what with my post above is wrong? please tell me so i can further expand my knowledge about cars. thank you.

heyman421
08-18-2006, 12:30 PM
does that lump even have electronic fuel management?

If it does, i'd setup a junkyard turbo setup, and beat the **** out of it.

Twistid
08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
get a b18c5 motor swap. turbocharger kit. full cat back greddy exause. injen cold air intake(the long kind that goes from the engine to under the bumper). vtech. 17in. racing rims. take out your back seat. carbon fiber hood and trunk. lower it. custom fabricate it to an AWD.

all for the low low price of 20-40k(USD)

when you are sure you wont make your car explode. get a nitrus injection system.

the engine swap is about $5000turbocharger and all its crap is about $4000
exaust is about $800
cold air intake $160-$210
vteching is about 2-3k depending on who does it.
17in racing rims gonna be about $800
take out your back seat free

carbon fiber hood $500
carbon fiber trunk $700
custom fabrication from FWD to AWD is alot of money. plus the labor which is more money.lowering is fairly cheap
nitrus systems arent that bad but some can get pretty pricey

sell your civic and get a 95-99 mitsubishi eclipse GSX AWD or a 240sx 300zx is good too.

fwd ***** at drag racing get a rwd or awd they are better.

whats wrong with what you said? where do i begin :laugh:

first off, if you engine swap, your most likely gonna be puttin in a b16/18 which already is equipped with vtec , yes thats vtec not vtecH

carbon fiber trunks+hoods+doors are mainly just for looks, the weight lost when going from stock to carbon fiber is not even worth it assuming your already pushing 250-300 hp from the forced induction engine

tranny swap to AWD? why in the world would you do that? how many hobby honda's have you seen with AWD? you can take a honda down to the 12's with FWD as long as you know what your doing , thats just retarded unless you have money to wipe your *** with

the only thing i do agree with you about is gettin yourself a 1st generation DSM AWD ... great platform to start from but not the most reliable as most 10+ year old cars are...

Tbusiness06
08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
whats wrong with what you said? where do i begin :laugh:

first off, if you engine swap, your most likely gonna be puttin in a b16/18 which already is equipped with vtec , yes thats vtec not vtecH

carbon fiber trunks+hoods+doors are mainly just for looks, the weight lost when going from stock to carbon fiber is not even worth it assuming your already pushing 250-300 hp from the forced induction engine

tranny swap to AWD? why in the world would you do that? how many hobby honda's have you seen with AWD? you can take a honda down to the 12's with FWD as long as you know what your doing , thats just retarded unless you have money to wipe your *** with

the only thing i do agree with you about is gettin yourself a 1st generation DSM AWD ... great platform to start from but not the most reliable as most 10+ year old cars are...

those were all possibilities not a list of what he should do but of what he could do. you could vtec (omg is didnt spell it with a "h" this time flip out its a holiday) his engine to add horse power. or get the b18c5 engine

carbon fiber looks pretty and takes some weight off. thats good

like i said above an awd conversion would be expensive. but would make the car faster. so we really arent disagreeing there.

so other than my vtech typo. there really isnt anything wrong with my post. its a habbit and i type fast so i dont really pay much attention. there are tons more typos flung in the post so have a hay day with that.:D

IrTehL33T@DBeez
08-18-2006, 05:55 PM
those were all possibilities not a list of what he should do but of what he could do. you could vtec (omg is didnt spell it with a "h" this time flip out its a holiday) his engine to add horse power. or get the b18c5 engine

like i said above an awd conversion would be expensive. but would make the car faster. so we really arent disagreeing there.

so other than my vtech typo. there really isnt anything wrong with my post. its a habbit and i type fast so i dont really pay much attention. there are tons more typos flung in the post so have a hay day with that.:D

god ****ing dammit you dont VTEC an engine, its not a Process, its not a kit, its Not something you ADD!!

you dont know how the system even works, good lord, it doesnt even add horsepower per se, its designed to allow different cam profiles to be used to broaden the usability of the power band... i cant even get into this with you or the kid who posted this thread, its ridiculous how little knowledge is on this site, this is the only section i look at most of the time and most of you are just useless. i hope you guys are better with audio equipment. dang

atoz350
08-18-2006, 06:14 PM

But everything you have said is wrong....

First, you don't vtec an engine...it either has vtec, or it doesn't. VTEC stands for Variable Timing Electronic Controller and is a system used by Honda in some of their engines. In other words, you can't VTEC a Mitsubishi!!! Second, while carbon fiber reduces weight, most companies that make carbon fiber parts must brace them properly to be used for street use. They also use high gloss resins and gel coats to make it "look pretty" that increases the weight of the fiber. This negates any savings that you may have gotten.

And for Christ's sake, AWD Conversion will NOT make the car faster!!! It will in fact make it SLOWER!!!! Think about it, your engine that was once turning 2 wheels (1 wheel with an open open diff) is now turning all 4 wheels. So your power is now divided by 4 instead of 2.

I type fast too, but I do something called proofreading before I post.....

**And to add to the thread, the easiest way to increase hp for the dollar is Nitrous. It won't make your car explode as was said earlier. Adding intakes, and exhaust only make for a more annoying ride. They may increase hp by a very small amount, but its the same increase that you would get if you just did a tune up. Honestly, take it from someone who has been there already..I would just leave the car alone and save any money you are planning to put into it for a better car.

lil_will
08-19-2006, 01:29 PM
lil_will, eat my ***. i saw a vtech engine in a mitsubishi on car domain and was curious as to how to do it. :mad: like you've never made a mistake when you were getting started in performance tuning cars.

at least i posted information to help, and not just cut somebody down for trying to.

what with my post above is wrong? please tell me so i can further expand my knowledge about cars. thank you.

Relax man. I wasn't attacking you!
I never said that I never make mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. I was simply stating that you shouldn't be giving advice to people if you don't know what you are talking about! It is people like you that ruin these forums. Forums are a great place to learn and that is what you should do. The only thing worse than not giving advice is giving bad advice. You didn't post any helpful info. In fact you probablly confused the poor guy to no end... he is probablly driving around asking his buddies were he can get some Vtec for his engine!! :crazy:

Frankensuby
08-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Hahahaha. wow.

Ok, Vtech from what I have researched is a mix of injectors, cams, heads, and ECU. So you can rebuild the top end of a HONDA engine to 'V-tech' it. (note I highlight HONDA, because no other engine has the right to have v-tech. Other engines have similar designs, but the have other designations, like 'i' in Toyota's line (still not exactly like Vtech, but similar) for an example)

As far as the AWD rebuttal, I agree adding AWD reduces efficiency of the drivetrain system, but not by splitting the power to 4 wheels instead of 2, that would make it faster through launches, and safer in snow :P. It merely reduces the efficiency of the drivetrain by adding extra weight for extra components, as well as having more rotational friction reducing engine HP to the wheels. This can be offset a tiny bit by upgraded fluids in the differentials, but it cannot be thoroughly saved.

As for Tbusiness, there is someone on Cardomain who put the EVO engine in a 911...which still irritates me...but it was done.

It's easy to put the b16 motor in any car if you have the money, or find it necessary to do so. That's why the Mitsy was probably dubbed 'vtech'. They plopped a Honda engine in there possibly.

As for the carbon fibre, do you mean fiberglass? I don't believe I have seen a carbon fibre body, but I don't fancy it worth it. Aluminum parts are a fraction heavier and much cheaper, although I know carbon Fibre is a good choice for axles and driveshafts for it's strength and safety.

As for "NAWS" , it can be very beneficial for short spurts. The biggest concern is pre-detonation via overheating or lack of proper engine management which destroys the cylinder or adds extreme stress to the engine. If done correctly in moderation or atleast with the right management and equipment, it can nearly double HP. I'd prefer a turbo with proper management for permanent "NAWS" like experiences :)

As for adding intakes, exhausts, etc. The goal as someone said earlier is to open the engine up. Bottom line, if more can flow through it, it will produce more HP. Some vehicles have extremely restrictive exhausts and intakes such as my Subaru Impreza. The inside to the exhaust is like a maze, and is very restrictive. The intake is a odd shaped box with resonator cancels and ribbed funneling, reducing efficient air flow. The ideal is to have an intake and exhaust with the leats amount of restriction. The straighter the pipe, the wider and more round the bends, the easier and less restrictive it is, making HP and efficiency much improved. Next step would be port and polish,. injectors, cams, and the upgrade cylinders and rods with possibly a new crank all balanced for peak efficiency and efficiency. Sorry got carried away there.

I For one, hate the annoying FART cannons people love to put on their sporty compact hatches or sedans, you know, the ones from Wal-Mart and Auto Zone. But a well researched and thought out exhaust/intake purchase usually ends up with a gain in performace and a nice sounding exhaust note.

Well, that's all I got the energy to type :D

rick22
08-19-2006, 06:46 PM
first things first tbusiness06 just quit. everything you say pertaining to cars makes you look like a complete moron.

Now as for what you can do there really isnt much if youre on a budget which im guessing is like a grand. a few things that you can do is take out your a/c and power steering. This will both free up weight and you will notice a bit of a power increase seeing as these are belt driven which is causing you to lose power. everything else is basically a waste or too expensive for someone with a budget.

ironchef b
08-19-2006, 07:05 PM
I have a Honda Civic Ex auto. 1.6L. What are some ways of gaining power to the car. Im on a budget so can someone donate a few tips???[B]

try to save enough $$$$ to get a OBD-1 DOHC VTEC engine. the swap isnt overall that hard & it's just getting the tools adds that much more $$$$$ to the expense.
It'll respond to future upgrades alot better than your current engine.
But Nitrous is a real good bang for your buck adder. ALOT of people assume you'll blow your engine if you use it but IT IS true if dont use it properly. for about $800-900 (nitrous, fuel pressure reg., gauges, colder spark plugs, etc.) you can add 50 on the high side as opposed to getting the basic 3 of intake, exhaust, & headers which might probably cost more & add about 8-15 hp. Honda/ Acura's dont respond alot to mere bolt ons because cars from the factory are already finely tuned & very well engineered.