PDA

View Full Version : What does a crossover do?

Lil_KB
08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Just wondering...I don't know much about component sets. Also, why are components better than coaxials?

Beat_Dominator
08-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Cross-overs separate the signals between the drivers. THis way the tweeter plays the high frequencies and the woofer plays the low frequencies. If you tried to play low frequencies on a tweeter it would be very easily damaged.

alphakenny1
08-15-2006, 08:01 PM
not being mean but is so hard to search? there's a sticky right above you can look at. here i'll even link it to you, http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90412.

and beat covered the xover part.

headless
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
www.bcae1.com

:)

pickup1
08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
comps.are better that you can take the tweeter and mount it up higher than the woofer to bring the soundstage up.making the music sound more realistic.making it sound like your actually there when the music is played,not just sitting in a box!

squeak9798
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
comps.are better that you can take the tweeter and mount it up higher than the woofer to bring the soundstage up.

Generally it's best to keep the tweeters as close to the mids as possible. Properly aimed, you should still be able to acheive a high soundstage.

I'm not a fan of high-mounted tweeters.

But a more accurate statement would be to say that an advantage of components is that the tweeter can be independently mounted and aimed.