PDA

View Full Version : Recommended SQL component 6.5's between $200-500?

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Can I get a witness?

Seriously though, I am trying to put together a quality system that I can enjoy for a few years and this seems like an important part of said system. I don't know much about the new gear as I have been out of the game for awhile, so clue me in. I am looking at some MB Quarts right now that retail for around $4-500. I have also had someone suggest some CDT (I think thats the brand) for around $250ish.

Simek4life
08-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Can I get a witness?

Seriously though, I am trying to put together a quality system that I can enjoy for a few years and this seems like an important part of said system. I don't know much about the new gear as I have been out of the game for awhile, so clue me in. I am looking at some MB Quarts right now that retail for around $4-500. I have also had someone suggest some CDT (I think thats the brand) for around $250ish.

I like the JBL GTI 608's. They have great midbass and nice tweets. Need a lot of power but well worth it. A place to get them at a relatively low price....http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1182

6spdcoupe
08-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Thats a Very broad range with little detail about what you like..

Musical tastes?
Power?
Experience? As in what you have heard and liked..

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Oh yeah sorry, I should have filled you in more. I guess I am a SQL guy, I want loudness, but not at a serious cost to SQ. Normally I would be listening to 311, Tool, Korn, and ocassionally some rap or drum n bass. I have room in the back for some 6x9's and another set of 6.5's, so I guess what I need out of these is clarity in the mid to high range, good loudness & SQ, but I'm not overly concerned about them puting out great midbass.

Power wise, I would probably saddle them with a nice 2x100 amp or whatever is suggested. As far as what I have heard & like, I tend to prefer a silk dome tweeter & a warmer sound in the very high ranges. Like I don't like hearing a cymbal hit and it sound like someone just broke a window.

addisdar
08-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Oh yeah sorry, I should have filled you in more. I guess I am a SQL guy, I want loudness, but not at a serious cost to SQ. Normally I would be listening to 311, Tool, Korn, and ocassionally some rap or drum n bass. I have room in the back for some 6x9's and another set of 6.5's, so I guess what I need out of these is clarity in the mid to high range, good loudness & SQ, but I'm not overly concerned about them puting out great midbass.

Power wise, I would probably saddle them with a nice 2x100 amp or whatever is suggested. As far as what I have heard & like, I tend to prefer a silk dome tweeter & a warmer sound in the very high ranges. Like I don't like hearing a cymbal hit and it sound like someone just broke a window.

From what you are saying, you listen to about the same as I do. Check out the OZ Audio MEs for your setup. Awesome sound.

bri487
08-13-2006, 01:38 AM
zapco reference blue cones. check your local zapco dealers on prices. you can probably get them somewhere in that ballpark.

blackonblacksls
08-13-2006, 01:56 AM
check out morels. they have to be some of the midbassiest 6.5's i have ever heard. they seem great for bassy or drum kinda stuff. and they are not harsh at all. the only drawback i think is they seem to need plenty of watts. like 200 or more.

bri487
08-13-2006, 01:59 AM
check out morels. they have to be some of the midbassiest 6.5's i have ever heard. they seem great for bassy or drum kinda stuff. and they are not harsh at all. the only drawback i think is they seem to need plenty of watts. like 200 or more.

i wasnt overly impressed with their stuff. smooth sounding, note transfers are great, and a very well balanced sound, but the mid bass wasnt mind blowing.

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Interesting, 4 different people with 4 different speakers...lol

I am leaning a bit towards the Quarts because someone is selling a pair in the classifieds. The OZ are also old school and I might be willing to give those a listen. I would think the Zapcos would be quality just based on their amps, but I have never heard of morels.

Anyone have an opinion on CDT's?

phyphoestilic
08-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Morels are pretty high up there. CDTs are pretty good too. Or u can get some Rainbow Germs, people have fun with those.

filtor1
08-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I say go with the Rainbow Germaniums. All of the others are viable options as well.

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Morels are pretty high up there. CDTs are pretty good too. Or u can get some Rainbow Germs, people have fun with those.

How do you mean? They're fun to setup or you just mean they do really well?

Oh, I have sent out a PM to 6spd about the Rainbows as well.

kicker06
08-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Heres on install thread on the germs...

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175948

Just thought you would want to see that.

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Cool man, thanks. Luckily these T/A's have a lot of little hidden compartments to tuck away the amps & stuff. I noticed his Rainbow 6.5's seemed to be a couple inches higher than the original grill slot. I asked 6spd which Rainbows that guy who reviewed them was talking about when he was talking about the great midbass & SQ (the 2nd setup iirc). Any idea?

addisdar
08-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Interesting, 4 different people with 4 different speakers...lol

I am leaning a bit towards the Quarts because someone is selling a pair in the classifieds. The OZ are also old school and I might be willing to give those a listen. I would think the Zapcos would be quality just based on their amps, but I have never heard of morels.

Anyone have an opinion on CDT's?

If you are near PTC in ATL then hit me up. I have all OZ in mine and my wife's car, if you want to hear them. Oh and I know where in ATL you can get a great deal on them.

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 01:43 PM
If you are near PTC in ATL then hit me up. I have all OZ in mine and my wife's car, if you want to hear them. Oh and I know where in ATL you can get a great deal on them.

Sounds good man, PM sent.

Loud3
08-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Go check out Elitecaraudio.com's for sale threads.

Someone is selling a set of Arc ACS265's for $250 shipped.

Very detailed, and I love mine.

Plus, plenty of cash left over for other things.

Pr0d1gy
08-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Go check out Elitecaraudio.com's for sale threads.

Someone is selling a set of Arc ACS265's for $250 shipped.

Very detailed, and I love mine.

Plus, plenty of cash left over for other things.

Excuse me for my possible ignorance, but I would rather get one really nice sub than a pair of lesser subs because I am going to buy another one down the line should i feel the need. So, I guess the question is are these the nicer Arc's or their lesser cousins?

Loud3
08-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Excuse me for my possible ignorance, but I would rather get one really nice sub than a pair of lesser subs because I am going to buy another one down the line should i feel the need. So, I guess the question is are these the nicer Arc's or their lesser cousins?

Sub? Those would be a component set.

There is a 3-way passive SE component set, but I don't think it's available right now.

(retail on the ACS comp set is in the mid-400 range)

Ignatowski
08-13-2006, 10:04 PM
whynot ask for a reccommendation in a tighter pricerange :blackeye:

MikeM231
08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
I am loving my Rainbow germaniums. sorry no pics yet, door pods arnt done.
The best 450 dollers I have spent in a long time. Last speakers were Infinity kappa perfect, and these make those sound like walmart brand.

SQChevy
08-14-2006, 05:29 PM
My suggestion would be Focal K2 comps. I can't recall what they run now though. I've heard Morel's and while they sounded good, i'm disappointed in their bass. They sell a 10" sub that was lighter and shorter than the Focal WS5, the 5" Woofer and during a SPL test (during competition) blew at about 120 db. I would worry about their woofers in speakers if you crank it up a bit.

dimond
08-14-2006, 07:11 PM
for that range, CDT HD, MB PCE216, Diamond HEX, OZ Matrix, Focal K2P if you can find a deal

Pr0d1gy
08-14-2006, 07:40 PM
whynot ask for a reccommendation in a tighter pricerange :blackeye:

Don't need to, how much I spend is up to me, I just find it insane to spend $1000 for a couple of speakers when I could get road head for a week for that from any hooker. Seriously though, in all realms of audio I have found that in the high end you gain about 5% sound quality for a 100% price increase, so I find it ludicrous to spend so much for so little.

I'm gonna check out the OZ speakers in addisdar's ride & go from there, but if you guys find any great deals on a set of components from a reputable seller then send me a PM with the info or post it here or something. I could use all the help I can get. I'm liking the suggestions so far, and think you've probably all suggested speaks I would love if I bought them. Wish you guys would post in my sub thread about which sub to get...

SI Magnum
IDMAX
Arc Flatline
or other (please be specific)

filtor1
08-14-2006, 09:43 PM
looks like your looking for SQ. Check out the Fi Q series. I will have them as soon as I sell these TDX's.

FoxPro5
08-14-2006, 10:17 PM
So, I guess the question is are these the nicer Arc's or their lesser cousins?

Lesser cousins? The are Rainbow made :fyi: The set is a Contour mid paired with the Cal 25 fabric dome tweet IIRC. A great value IMO.

For the $$$ the Germs are tough to beat man...especially considering the flexibility of the x-over on that.

6spdcoupe
08-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Theres a bit of controversy over the ACSs...Arc states theyre comparible to the Contours, Rainbow says SLCs..

Either way an excellent set, just too bad production stopped over a year ago.

FoxPro5
08-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Theres a bit of controversy over the ACSs...Arc states theyre comparible to the Contours, Rainbow says SLCs..

Either way an excellent set, just too bad production stopped over a year ago.

Lost in translation perhaps? I had a set once and called Arc CS and I swear the guy who I talked to said Contour...so +2 for Contour. Anyone else want take sides? I'm staying neutral BTW, I don't need teh Don taking care of my family if I say anything 'bout Rainbow. :bowdown:

6spdcoupe
08-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Lost in translation perhaps? I had a set once and called Arc CS and I swear the guy who I talked to said Contour...so +2 for Contour. Anyone else want take sides? I'm staying neutral BTW, I don't need teh Don taking care of my family if I say anything 'bout Rainbow. :bowdown:

LMAO

I told people for years that they were basically Contours. It wasnt until recently that I heard otherwise due to the fact that I have a set of ACSs here in need of replacement. Since they were RAC made I asked Stefan to replace..he offered me CAL25s and a set of SLCs stating that what they were...

Regardless of what they were, it was a **** fine set. :)

Loud3
08-14-2006, 11:02 PM
LMAO

I told people for years that they were basically Contours. It wasnt until recently that I heard otherwise due to the fact that I have a set of ACSs here in need of replacement. Since they were RAC made I asked Stefan to replace..he offered me CAL25s and a set of SLCs stating that what they were...

Regardless of what they were, it was a **** fine set. :)

True that! :naughty:

audiolife
08-15-2006, 08:57 AM
you can get beyma too those are very loud and pretty clear

headless
08-15-2006, 09:47 AM
+1 for the Germaniums. Just do it man. You know you want to.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149933

audiolife
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
since when could quarts get loud nicely? lol i can see for sq but sql?

Pr0d1gy
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
since when could quarts get loud nicely? lol i can see for sq but sql?

Interesting, so what does ge loud without losing SQ until you get to the upper end of volume/amplification? So far I am thinking either the OZ, Germs, Focals, CDT's, and I read a thread with some good things about Crystals. I'm going to hear OZ tomorrow installed in Darrin's car, so I may just buy those if they really good. If not, I am leaning towards the Germs, Focals, or Crystals...

Savstyle
08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Interesting, so what does ge loud without losing SQ until you get to the upper end of volume/amplification? So far I am thinking either the OZ, Germs, Focals, CDT's, and I read a thread with some good things about Crystals. I'm going to hear OZ tomorrow installed in Darrin's car, so I may just buy those if they really good. If not, I am leaning towards the Germs, Focals, or Crystals...

+1 for the germs. CDT's ehh after i heard them i really was not impresed considering they were teh bandwagon comps on the forum at the time.Im just not a fan of focal every set ive heard needed eq'ing, but after eq'ed they sound great, but without....ouch. Never had the pleasure of hearing any OZ's. MB Quart oyy the set i heard had good midbass, but my god the tweet chased me out of the car.

Pr0d1gy
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
+1 for the germs. CDT's ehh after i heard them i really was not impresed considering they were teh bandwagon comps on the forum at the time.Im just not a fan of focal every set ive heard needed eq'ing, but after eq'ed they sound great, but without....ouch. Never had the pleasure of hearing any OZ's. MB Quart oyy the set i heard had good midbass, but my god the tweet chased me out of the car.

Nice. So I can get the Quarts out of the equation for sure, and I'm not really interested in the CDT, although a lot of people like them. And yeah bro, tweets like that will **** me off & gimme a headache, pissing me off further...lol I'm not getting a quality EQ, so scratch the Focals. I guess that means either the OZ or the Rainbows. Well, if I don't buy some OZ components tomorrow I may have to PM 6spd I guess...lol

Savstyle
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Nice. So I can get the Quarts out of the equation for sure, and I'm not really interested in the CDT, although a lot of people like them. And yeah bro, tweets like that will **** me off & gimme a headache, pissing me off further...lol I'm not getting a quality EQ, so scratch the Focals. I guess that means either the OZ or the Rainbows. Well, if I don't buy some OZ components tomorrow I may have to PM 6spd I guess...lol

glad i could help, Good luck with teh desistion, but the germs, primetime. Jus to tell you im debating horns and the germs jus to toss thas at u:)

Pr0d1gy
08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
glad i could help, Good luck with teh desistion, but the germs, primetime. Jus to tell you im debating horns and the germs jus to toss thas at u:)

Horns? Never herd of dem...

audiolife
08-15-2006, 07:34 PM
horns and beyma speakers are sensitive over 100 db at 1 watt at 1 meter. beymas are like 103 and higher end horns are 107-109

Pr0d1gy
08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
horns and beyma speakers are sensitive over 100 db at 1 watt at 1 meter. beymas are like 103 and higher end horns are 107-109

how is the sound quality on those? sounds like Klipsche home audio speakers....

audiolife
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
people use them in sq competitions and win i had one of the original team id cars that took second at usac and iasca world finals in 94 and id themselves have won many many championships with horns as well as usd. probably 4 or 5 of the top 10 cars of all time used horn tweeters.

Pr0d1gy
08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Interesting, horn tweets & SQ do not usually go hand in hand in home audio. Got any links with the speaks you're looking at so I can check them out?

SQChevy
08-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Horns do sound well, the problem being you have to have a very long wave path in order for the sound to mature enough to sound good. The speakers that are dominating USACI at least and several IASCA champions are Focal. They are showing up more and more. I know about 6 or 7 World Champions who run Focal products and numerous more that placed very high.

Bolognablake
08-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Don't need to, how much I spend is up to me, I just find it insane to spend $1000 for a couple of speakers when I could get road head for a week for that from any hooker.

Forget the speakers, I'd probably just do that.

Pr0d1gy
08-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Well I went and heard the OZ ME's today in addisdar's ride. I was impressed with the clarity & loudness they offered, and they had decent midbass. I could definitely see why they have pulled perfect scores in SQ competitions, and I decided to go with a pair of those for my front stage. I'm sure the rainbows & stuff are nice, but I couldn't see anything sounding much better than what I heard today.

audiolife
08-16-2006, 08:40 PM
ummm the perfect 40 wasnt done with all oz speakers.

Pr0d1gy
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
ummm the perfect 40 wasnt done with all oz speakers.

What was it done with?

audiolife
08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
1 pr oz tweeters 2 sets of protech 5.25's and 1 set of protech tweeters.. was done in the first back seat driver car who happened to be my installer

Pr0d1gy
08-16-2006, 09:07 PM
1 pr oz tweeters 2 sets of protech 5.25's and 1 set of protech tweeters.. was done in the first back seat driver car who happened to be my installer

Awesome. Yeah, as I said, the SQ on those tweets was absolutely amazing. Imaging was dead on and the 6.5's offered a quality midbass to the component. But yeah, the tweeters are amazing on those OZ components.

audiolife
08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
if i told u out of that set up what was really running u would scratch ur head but rta isnt really sq its more of a capability

gr1m
09-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Hi all,

Noob here. Had MB Quartz (forgot which model) on my 2000 Civic abt 5yrs ago. Just bought an '06 Odyssey, and I'm also looking in the $200-350 range for a 6.5" component system. I listen to mostly smooth jazz (Fourplay, Norah), and a few DVDs with DTS (like Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS) for watching/listening to DVDs in the van. I don't want the sound to be too crisp or bright. Neutral + accurate , perhaps?
Will be mating them with maybe a 4-ch JL amp, and I *would* like to get the JL 13W7 with the 1000/1 amp. My buddy says that's overkill for the van, maybe a 10W3or something similar would suffice.

What would you guys recommend? CDT, Diamond, Focal, Dynaudio, Polk? I've never heard of the Rainbows or Crystals before I started reading this forum. I know that I should go out there and audition and listen, listen, listen....

theothermike
09-07-2006, 07:53 AM
yeah Oz's and Rainbows go hand and hand, but i gonna support what i said in the OZ 180 Cs vs. Rainbow Germs thread a few down, both are very close in Sound it just Germs > OZ Cs 180 because of its cross over. But you are paying a little more for it too so...... Either way.

What subs did Addisdar run? OZ Me Subs? How did those sound? Just curious heard statements saying close to ID Max's

Mike

suleman36
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Who is selling the Rainbow's ? Any authorized dealers on the forums ?