PDA

View Full Version : viper 791xv question

MiSeRy
08-10-2006, 08:04 PM
i just talked to best buy about installing my viper791xv that came in today :yumyum: . they said i would have to buy an extra piece, something for the remote start ( something to do with a key part numer i thought he said was 514U) im sure it was U(not sure on numbers) a $50 piece. anyone know what they are talking about. ive been searching the net but i have come up with no results. my installation dat is not this saturday but next and id like to order off ebay and save some money if i can, but i dont know what it is i need? amyone know? thx:)

prochobo
08-10-2006, 08:24 PM
WOW that is BULLSHIT. I got told the same **** by a Best Buy around here. Then I took it to a small shop and I didn't need that ****. I guess it's something they say to get more money out of customers.

90accordman
08-10-2006, 08:26 PM
lol same here, i didnt pay anything extra to get mine put on the Stang, maybe it has somethign to do with Manual transmission, mines auto

MiSeRy
08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
yea, idk, you would think the alarm would include everything you need to function properly. and an alarm being sold as a 2 way alarm "with remote start" would include everything for the remote start. anyone else have any idea what they are talking about?:crap:

MiSeRy
08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
lol same here, i didnt pay anything extra to get mine put on the Stang, maybe it has somethign to do with Manual transmission, mines auto

mine is also an automatic, and they didnt even ask whether it was manul or automatic on the phone:mad:

MiSeRy
08-10-2006, 08:33 PM
bump

bumpinne0n
08-10-2006, 09:00 PM
You'll need this piece to bypass your car's immobilizer. IIRC, with the universal one you have to put a key that's already been programmed inside the box for the car to start with the remote. Sometimes it's cheaper just to have them order the piece that was made for your car. For example, I had the universal piece and when I took it to the shop they said I'd have to get another key made. I had the key made and it cost $83. Then come to find out they just used the piece that was made for Dodge vehicles that cost $50.

So they aren't bs'ing you. Certain cars will need this piece, otherwise the car will start and immediately die afterwards.

prochobo
08-10-2006, 10:49 PM
You'll need this piece to bypass your car's immobilizer. IIRC, with the universal one you have to put a key that's already been programmed inside the box for the car to start with the remote. Sometimes it's cheaper just to have them order the piece that was made for your car. For example, I had the universal piece and when I took it to the shop they said I'd have to get another key made. I had the key made and it cost $83. Then come to find out they just used the piece that was made for Dodge vehicles that cost $50.

So they aren't bs'ing you. Certain cars will need this piece, otherwise the car will start and immediately die afterwards.

Oh I see. It's still bullshit because Best Buy said he needed one not even knowing what car it is. Even though some cars may need it, all the other people are getting ****ed over.

bumpinne0n
08-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh I see. It's still bullshit because Best Buy said he needed one not even knowing what car it is. Even though some cars may need it, all the other people are getting ****ed over.

Maybe they did know what car it was..?

He just said they didn't ask about a manual/auto but that doesn't have anything to do with this part.

My Bestbuy won't even do installs unless you buy the equipment from them. I tried to get them to do my alarm install but they said I had to buy it from them. I had to get the local shop to do it...which was a mistake. There's bundles of wires everywhere under my dash now, it looks like ****.

KaeZoo
08-11-2006, 12:01 AM
If it was a manual, they wouldn't do it at all.

Some cars have factory anti-theft systems that need to be bypassed for remote start. Others don't. It's just like buying a head unit; you need the right kit and harness to make it work with your car.

What kind of car is it?

MiSeRy
08-11-2006, 07:45 AM
If it was an automatic, they wouldn't do it at all.

Some cars have factory anti-theft systems that need to be bypassed for remote start. Others don't. It's just like buying a head unit; you need the right kit and harness to make it work with your car.

What kind of car is it?

its an 02 accord ex coupe v6

KaeZoo
08-11-2006, 09:50 AM
You have an immobilizer system, which means there's a transponder chip in your key that has to communicate with the vehicle before the starter will operate. The Directed bypass piece is a 556H. You can also use a 556U but you will have to provide a key with a transponder (not just one you have cut at the hardware store). The key gets installed into the 556U module which gets installed into the car. Transponder keys can often be ordered online for less money than the dealer will charge.

Shyne151
08-11-2006, 09:49 PM
It's probably just a bypass for the remote start, reason a local shop doesn't charge for them sometimes is most of the time they make them(depending on the car).

Ruffy
08-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Just in case anyone wants to know.

Transponder keys run $10ish off fleabay

I bought two keys for $23 shipped off ebay for my car.
Got them programmed for $10 at the dealership

$33 < $50 for bypass unit.