PDA

View Full Version : Do car speakers have a break-in period?

theSaiNtEX
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Do car speakers have a break-in period before they start to sound their best? Because I read this about some home theater speakers and they need a while to break-in before they start sounding their best.

iamamp3pimp
08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
some say yes, some say no

i like to see what i can get out of them right away

Beat_Dominator
08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Usually a driver will break in within' the first 5 min of playing according to some tests that I saw.

theSaiNtEX
08-10-2006, 03:18 PM
It just seems the first day I bought my speakers and installed them I really didn't like the sound... but then like 2 days after the sound started to get alot fuller? I didn't touch the EQ? And the bass got more bumpy also.

RumbleNTheTrunk
08-10-2006, 03:21 PM
well with my expierence the suspension moves easier after a certain period of use so that might be the cause of that.

theSaiNtEX
08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Audio messes with suspension?! :crap:

azbass
08-10-2006, 03:23 PM
rainbow speakers do. iirc

kotec123
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
yea the speakers ive dealt with all had some sort of "break in " period.......most noticable were the type r's .....they are super stiff right out of the box and become alot more loose after a few weeks....

squeak9798
08-10-2006, 08:28 PM
It just seems the first day I bought my speakers and installed them I really didn't like the sound... but then like 2 days after the sound started to get alot fuller? I didn't touch the EQ? And the bass got more bumpy also.

Could simply be psychoacoustics.

Maybe the sound didn't change, you simply got used to the sound so you think they "sound" different. But your mind simply adjusted to the sound.

Explaination through story;
I was getting my hair cut the other day and the girls were talking about this older lady that frequents the salon. Something happened to her car (don't remember what, not really important)...but it caused a horrendous smell to overtake the interior of the car. The lady took the car to over ten different detail shops, but not one could seem to remove the smell from the upholstery no matter what they tried. A few weeks later the lady came into the salon, and one of the hairdressers asked the lady if she was ever able to get the smell out of her car. The lady replied "Oh yes, it finally went away. Thank God." While she was getting her hair cut, she realized she had forgotten her checkbook in the car. So one of the hairdressers went to retreive it from the car for her.....and was about knocked dead from the stentch of the interior when she opened the door. The smell hadn't gone anywhere....the lady who owned the car simply got used to the smell so she didn't notice it anymore.

helotaxi
08-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Most speakers will require a burn in before they normalize. If you were to measure T/S parameters on a driver fresh from the factory and one that has been in use for a while, you would measure a difference.

RumbleNTheTrunk
08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Audio messes with suspension?! :crap:

I was referring to how the cone moves up and down, Mechanical suspension