PDA

View Full Version : alarm thoughts

goodstuff
08-09-2006, 03:34 PM
ok so I lost my alarm transmitter yesterday...it was the only one I had left...really annoyed because I don't want to put a whole new alarm in the car at this point in it's life...I was thinking about just putting an alarm in the trunk...i've already got power and ground there and most of my stuff is in the trunk anyways...plus it would be much easier to take it out and put it in the next vechicle I get. I know they could just steal the car if they knew how it was set up, but I just wanted some opinions on this....I really only use the alarm at night when i'm home... otherwise I think they are generally useless besides having one with a paging system...but even then i've heard it takes up to two mintutes to page you...we all know what can happen in under two minutes...anyways...also was wondering what brands are respected today in security and also what brands should I stay away from...right now i'm thinking about just going to walmart....

THUNDERBIRD
08-09-2006, 03:54 PM
what brand and model alarm do you have now? you can get a new transmitter off one off of ebay.

goodstuff
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah im just concerned the transmitters have fallen into the wrong hands...do you think it would work without being wired into the ignition? looking to keep it simple and leave it all in the trunk...

KaeZoo
08-09-2006, 07:49 PM
It's possible to delete previous transmitters from the system when programming a new transmitter.

Most alarms need an ignition input for programming and for emergency disarm when you don't have a transmitter. You can duplicate the ignition functions with a switch. What functions do you want your trunk alarm to perform? Keyless entry, starter kill, and door trigger wires are all easier to get up front.

goodstuff
08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
all I want is triggers for the trunk lid and rear folding seat...can you elborate on using a switch in place of the ignition?

KaeZoo
08-10-2006, 10:31 AM
So you're just looking for trunk protection and nothing else?

Your trunk may have a factory pin switch but your folding rear seat definitely does not. You'd need to put your own switch in place to trigger the alarm if the seat folds down.

The ignition input is just a wire that needs voltage when the ignition is on, loses it when it's off. You could do the same thing with a switch connected to 12v power; turn the switch on instead of turning the key on, turn it off again when the key should be off. Its only function in your application would be for programming or disarming.

There's probably cheaper options for what you want than buying a full alarm system to put into your trunk.

goodstuff
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
yeah basicallly just the trunk, not worth it to me to do a full alarm install at this point...I was wondering if they made something where you could run a piece of wire through a hole in your equipment ,for example one of the screw holes to mount your amp, and then if that wire was cut/broke it would trigger the alarm...
the other reason I want it all in the trunk is so it's easire to pull out when I get a new car...what other options do I have besides a whole alarm setup?...

RFCV
08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Otherwise, I think they are generally useless besides having one with a paging system...

I disagree with you there. True, having a pager is the best way, but if you have multiple sirens (especially interior 'pain generator' piezo's) & strobes flashing, the alarm effectiveness of them leaving the scene is much greater. ;)

Check this out:

http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/15/t/000611.html

But even then I've heard it takes up to two minutes to page you...

I would like to know where you heard that. When the alarm trips, it pages immediately!

HCCAfan
08-17-2006, 06:04 PM
I would like to know where you heard that. When the alarm trips, it pages immediately!

i am sorry but i have to agree with rf vega here. uh oh, thats 2 times so far, i better go see a doctor..........

RFCV
08-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I am sorry, but I have to agree with RFVega here. uh oh, that's 2 times so far, I better go see a doctor..........

WOW, I was expecting hate. :crap:

3x (2 here & 1 in TPOT about dip being VERY addictive) ;)