PDA

View Full Version : SQ Competition

m48xhp
08-09-2006, 03:12 AM
I am wanting to turn my car into an SQ competition car. Does anyone have a source for everything I need to know about SQ competition? Boxes, amplification, tuning, etc.

My big concern now is with the subs I am going to get. most likely Eclipse SW8200's. i have a Mustang as seen in the sig. I want to know what the best setup for my box direction is? I want to front fire, but is this the best for competition?

I am also looking to see what all is judged exactly. Is it just sound? Isnt install and apperance in its own quality, right? I mean it will be installed cleanly with custom kicks and imaging and clean hidden wires and what not, but just wondering.

Any help is appreciated. thanks

m48xhp
08-09-2006, 03:53 AM
well i did some googling and got the IASCA classifications. I would have to begin in the Pro Street Class cause I work for Circuit City. That kinda *****, but oh well. I may never even get the system built until I no longer work there after a few more months.

m48xhp
08-09-2006, 03:56 AM
also found this for IASCA:

* Installation Quality (187 pts possible)

o Wiring (40 pts)
o Source Units (15 pts)
o Amplifiers (25 pts)
o Speakers (25 pts)
o Other Devices (25 pts)
o Overall Creativity (30 pts)
o Attention to Show Details (20 pts)
o Security and Convenience Features (7 pts)

* Sound Quality (248 pts possible)
o Tonal Accuracy and Spectral Balance (100 pts)
o Soundstage and Ambiance (65 pts)
o Imaging (50 pts)
o Sound Linearity (30 pts)
o Ergonomics (+/- 3 pts)
o Noise Adjustment (up to -20 pts)
* Frequency Response - RTA (40 pts maximum)
* Sound Pressure Level - SPL (1 point per dB)

JimJ
08-09-2006, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't enter IASCA...especially not in that class. They're **** about looks, to the point where a better-looking but poorer-sounding system has a very good chance at winning.

USAC would be a better choice.

mikeyboc
08-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Looking at those classifications, what would be the difference between Rookie and Amateur Street? They look pretty similar to me.

m48xhp
08-09-2006, 02:00 PM
they say rookie is just the very first time you ever compete.

audiolife
08-16-2006, 11:19 AM
lol you can go pro street too i think. thing that i dont like about usac is they like boomy bass and if you are really an audiophile that just isnt done. read/order a rule book before you build that way u build it and tune it to the rules as you go.

budahbuddy803
10-16-2008, 10:32 PM
What does one that competes in SQ use to check:
o Tonal Accuracy and Spectral Balance
o Soundstage and Ambiance
o Imaging
o Sound Linearity
o Ergonomics
o Noise Adjustment
* Frequency Response - RTA

audiolife
10-16-2008, 11:33 PM
An RTA, ears and eyes

Ed Lester
10-17-2008, 12:28 AM
I believe they still use an official test CD with certain test tracks and music tracks on it. At least they did when I competed in the late 90s.
Try and purchase that disc if you can.

Also look into MECA, I have never competed there but it could be an interesting alternative.

RXZILLA
10-17-2008, 10:34 AM
visit jacks stereo. they have an usaci sq world champion that works at the store. Be ready to spend more money in SQ then you ever did in SPL.

squeak9798
10-17-2008, 10:38 AM
What does one that competes in SQ use to check:
o Tonal Accuracy and Spectral Balance
o Soundstage and Ambiance
o Imaging
o Sound Linearity
o Ergonomics
o Noise Adjustment
* Frequency Response - RTA

I'd recommend the IASCA disk. The booklet that comes with it has a pretty thorough description of what to listen for or how to properly use each track. And the specific rule book of the organization you plan to compete in will have descriptions of what is looked for on things like ergonomics (controls in easy reach, etc).

ramos
10-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Meca disk ( chesky demonstration disc ) is a good one as well. Narrative tracks before each track explains what you should be listening for. :)

audiolife
10-17-2008, 03:27 PM
If you can locate an actual competitor, or judge or former and have them explain things better or show you what to look for you will be better off. If you can close your eyes and point directly at a speaker as aa sound source you will have issues

DBDRAGGUY
10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
I am not knocking any SQ guys on here that compete, but just be aware that SQ competitions are very meticulous on the judging criteria. And the winning system may not be the best sounding system. The overall goal of the competitors is to achieve the flattest response possible in an automotive enviorment, while utilizing a top quality install. There are so many things taken into consideration when judging a vehicle that don't pertain to the overall sound quality of the system.

My advice is to attend a couple of shows before you build anything for competition purposes. Look at the sytems and installs that are in the classes your interested in. Talk to some of the competitors, see if they can get you started in the right direction. Sound Quality is so subjective, you may be happier just building a system that you enjoy and forget about competition all together.

IDSkoT
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I am not knocking any SQ guys on here that compete, but just be aware that SQ competitions are very meticulous on the judging criteria. And the winning system may not be the best sounding system. The overall goal of the competitors is to achieve the flattest response possible in an automotive enviorment, while utilizing a top quality install. There are so many things taken into consideration when judging a vehicle that don't pertain to the overall sound quality of the system.

My advice is to attend a couple of shows before you build anything for competition purposes. Look at the sytems and installs that are in the classes your interested in. Talk to some of the competitors, see if they can get you started in the right direction. Sound Quality is so subjective, you may be happier just building a system that you enjoy and forget about competition all together.

x2

In order to make a car for an SQ comp, the wires have to be perfectly run, with labels and wrapped... It's pretty ridiculous.

djman37
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
is there IASCA in TX?? Figure out what org you want to compete in, then go to a couple of shows and see how SQ is judged, etc.
I know in USACi you're supposed to have progress pics, fusing, loom over your wires and the list goes on. Opposite of SPL.

C3 Customs
10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
is there IASCA in TX?? Figure out what org you want to compete in, then go to a couple of shows and see how SQ is judged, etc.
I know in USACi you're supposed to have progress pics, fusing, loom over your wires and the list goes on. Opposite of SPL.

Was in touch IASCA and he told me that they have alot of judges in TX and are really looking for people to host the shows. So I guess you can say IASCA is in TX just finding a show in TX may be a little difficult.

appleyard
10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
IIRC Dan Wiggins stated that SQ is actually about achieving the flattest response in all speakers but a lot of people disagree because flat response does not sound good to certain people.

C3 Customs
10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Visit the diymobileaudio.com (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum) forum it is geared more towards sound quality rather then sound pressure level, you should find alot of good information to better help you achieve your goals.

chunky cumz
10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
there is no way my wallet or my brain could handle SQ....
in all seriousness, SQ is big baller shyt. which is why i do streetbeat

squeak9798
10-21-2008, 07:00 PM

x2

In order to make a car for an SQ comp, the wires have to be perfectly run, with labels and wrapped... It's pretty ridiculous.

A couple years ago IASCA created a format they call SQC which focuses only on the sound characteristics of the system and requires no judging of the install.

"The SQC (Sound Quality Challenge) format is judged and scored on Sound Quality only and is designed for those who focus on the sound quality of their vehicle, not necessarily the level of detail in the installation.

....... Scoring is based on the IASCA judging criteria of; Tonal Accuracy, Sound Stage, Imaging, Sound Linearity, and Absence of Noise."

chunky cumz
10-21-2008, 07:02 PM
A couple years ago IASCA created a format they call SQC which focuses only on the sound characteristics of the system and offers no judging criteria for install.

"The SQC (Sound Quality Challenge) format is judged and scored on Sound Quality only and is designed for those who focus on the sound quality of their vehicle, not necessarily the level of detail in the installation.

....... Scoring is based on the IASCA judging criteria of; Tonal Accuracy, Sound Stage, Imaging, Sound Linearity, and Absence of Noise."

that is waht is needed, sq in other comps are based way too much off of opinion... opinion in competition is always a problem.

squeak9798
10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
IIRC Dan Wiggins stated that SQ is actually about achieving the flattest response in all speakers but a lot of people disagree because flat response does not sound good to certain people.

The "RTA portion" of the judging is based on flat system response. I would have to read the current rules, but IIRC IASCA used to allow a different setting for the RTA portion & the listening portion. So the response might have been set to "flat" for the RTA judging but not for the listening session.

This is why so many "old school" analog setups had so many EQ's....some were setup for RTA & some were setup for the listening session and they were switched on and off accordingly. This has mostly been replaced by presets on digital processors, so the need for multiple EQ's has been largely diminished.

00RedRT
10-22-2008, 12:01 AM
The best thing you can do is read the rule books for whatever sanctioning body (IASCA, MECA, USACi, etc) you're planning to compete in. They have pretty clear rules for what they listen for when judging for SQ competitions.

I just started competing in IASCA in September in the SQC 1 seat class. I have faired pretty well in two events I've entered thus far. You learn a lot from these events and listening to other SQ cars gives you an idea of what to listen for.