PDA

View Full Version : Truck box build started, huzzah! Pics

Lurius
08-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Well I started designing this a few days ago after I found that nobody makes a box that meets my wants/needs except Subthump, and id rather spend 180$ on supplies and tools that I can use over and over again, than on a prefabed box.

In Skectchup:
I ahev changed it a little, I dident want to cut too many angle cuts so the center hump is actually going to be rectangular inside and the outside front abd back pieces will be shaped as seen in the image below, gives it a cleaner look anyways.

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243669.jpg

A couple pieces cut out:
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243688.jpg

And a shot including the vehicle its going in when its finished:
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243690.jpg

-Lurius

PS: I just got off the phone and aparently its not gonna be possible to fit these downfiring.. so I may have to do front firing.. =(

04blackgmc
08-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Man its seems if you have reg/ex/Cc i guess its getting boxes to fit good.

spljunkiems
08-08-2006, 06:57 PM
which progam are you using?

Lurius
08-08-2006, 07:03 PM
which progam are you using?

Im using Sketchup 5 pro.

You can get the beta of it for free @ http://sketchup.google.com/

Im running into problem after problem rofl. The RE SX's aparently wont fit, with the xmax they have it might bump on the carpet since this box is downfiring.. so, ive been looking around at other subs that would fit..

Treo SSI 12", and 10" should fit

Considering them, but I dont know, I need to find soem dealers and take some measurements.

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
why not just fire them up? I had an upfiring in my silverado for a while and really liked it. Also if you are doing a downfire be carefull to really check the fitment of the box towards the back of the center hump. It tends to come in on an angle so you have trim it kinda weird for it to sit down nice and snug. Also if you were to do an upfire you can FG the floor so the box fits exactly in there and you will save some extra room for mounting the subs and even a little airspace.

What is the mounting dept of the subs?

I have the subthump box and I highly recommend it but it is always fun to build your own box, i just didnt feel like doing that this time around with the 100+ degree weather i've been having

SilverSquared
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Raise the rear seat 3/4" with spacers.

Rc 415
08-08-2006, 09:07 PM
I upfire my mag its got 3" excursion and it never hit the seat

fox_forma
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
you got a pic of that Rc? Would like to see how you set up your box

Lurius
08-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I cant lift the seat unfortunantly. I modified rear brackets to allow seat to fold forawrd a while back so that I could access amps(back cab wall). Lifting it even 1/4" would make it fold forward whenever I brake hard, stop suddenly, etc. I measured for that today =(

As for firing upwards, I really like the way downfiring sounds. I can deal with front firing, but would rather avoid it! Too many worries about them getting kicked by people, and I havent found any grills yet with enough clearance for the subs im looking at.

On a side note: I just got a countersink set with nifty quick change tool, has a double sided insert so I can quickly release, flip, and go from countersink to screwdriver head =D

-Lurius

PS: Mounting depth - The RE SX 10"s are 6.125", the Treo SSIs are 5.1875 foir the 10s and 6.375 for the 12s.

If I have too much more trouble i'll consider ripping out the backseat and putting in two buckets lol, then I can put a box between them lol, mounthing depth be ****ed!

fox_forma
08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
I have seen a custom set-up with buckets but it is a lot of work for it to be safe, although it would be bad ***. You def dont want to do a subthump enclosure? I know those subs would fit def and save you a lot of trouble trying to get everything right. Good luck whatever you choose though

jeeper07
08-08-2006, 11:04 PM
any progress?

Lurius
08-08-2006, 11:20 PM
You def dont want to do a subthump enclosure? I know those subs would fit def and save you a lot of trouble trying to get everything right. Good luck whatever you choose though

I dont want to go with the prefab box because I already have a good design made up, and the oly restriction im having is that I have to make the bottom of the sub box higher to fit the subs I want, which then reduces the mounting depth which makes them no longer fit lol. Its a vicious cycle.

As it is now, I can fit the Treo 10"s in my current box, and in the new one im drawing up, but I would much rather fit the subs I originaly wanted, the RE SX 10s. Im still trying lol.

any progress?No progress yet, still waiting to see if this will work or not, the only cuts I can make now are the front and back, but I need another 4x8 panel of 3/4" MDF to make them. The rest of the cuts are all dependant on the info I gather on wether or not I can fit these subs. If I cant fit the RE's downfiring, I can fit them in frotn firing..... IF i could find any **** speaker grills that allow enough room for the sub's excursion.

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-09-2006, 06:43 AM
the subthump isnt exactly a pre made box, the guy builds it personally i believe because I had a problem when i first ordered one and he sent the wrong box and I got on the phone with him and he said he would build me a new one and add a few things but either way I know what your saying. If you have ever seen the ultra deep box, it has two spots that recess into the seat some which is why it is an ulta deep box, you could do that, I'm sure there is a little more room as well so it wouldnt be hard to do. Kinda like an underseat crew cab box if you ever seen one. I can show you pics of how it looks if you dont know what I mean by it being recessed into the seat......

Lurius
08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I do know what you mean. My Probox does that. I was wondering how that guy got the 7" mounting depth all around on that box. Mine worked out at 7" but got more narrow at one way(towards the back) but luckily most of the magnets I had been looking at taped off, and only the peak mounting depth was present at the center of the base.

I'll check it out in sketchup and see if a raise in the center would help. Thanks! He dosent show the pics of the tops of the box on his site.

-Lurius

PS: Tried it out in shetchup - Im getting just under 6" depth with the floor raised to 3", how the plans are now. But adding an extra 5/8th" to the top(the top was mapped out to be 5/8's" MDF to help with clearance) it comes out to 6 1/2" Just barely ovr what I need for the SX 10", however, thats at the center, the sides of the magnet dont clear, i'd have to do like 2 laters of the MDF on top to clear it, and then the seats might not fold back down right! Bah.

Lurius
08-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I think im going to do the additional height above the subs.. Ive checked and double checked, and if I do this it will fit, but very tight! I'll just have to make the extra depth areas like 10" around. I figure I cna make a 10" MDF ring out of 5/8ths mdf, then a solid circle cutout of 5/8ths and connect them both over the hole i'd be cutting on the top part. Should work, and with 1 1/4" thickness added I can use some 1 3/4" scres to hold it down.

Hows this sound? Think it will be worth the trouble?

-Lurius

Thanks again fox_forma for the advice and ideas!

fox_forma
08-09-2006, 03:22 PM
yeah that should work as long it stays withing the inside of the bottom of the seat. The bottom of the seat does give some flex room with the carpet on the bottom so you should be good. Any box that will fit under the seat will have to taper off towards the back no matter what like you said. I believe you can sqeeze around 8in of hieght in the back so you would have around a 6.5" mounting dept at the back that angles into the front of around 8.5". Then you can add the rings towards the center to give prob another inch for the magnets, maybe even a little more. Just keep double checking before you fully assemble the box and make sure the seat comes down enough. My seat doesnt lock in place anymore for some reason, it catches but pull up on it with a little force and it comes up. Not sure why but it use to lock in place and I also did the rear seat fold down trick, not sure if that has something to do with it now or what though

Lurius
08-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Some of those guys who posted guides on the seat fold down mod cut way too much off. I took it slow and tested a few times to get it where I have mine trimmed to and it only has one problem(other than not being able to lift the seat higher up). Sometimes only one sides latch will catch and the other will be on the outside of that metal bar on the cab wall and will be a B*TCH to get back, but its rare.

Thanks again, i'm definantly going to check and recheck, and once I know the subs can fit the box ill build the box before ordering the subs. I want this to work already, I dont need any more problems haha. Im thinking of getting the box sprayed in bedliner. I liked that look on the Proboxes. Also they can do color matching, maybe get it to match my trucks paint.

-Lurius

PS: about the mounting depth, the only problem im having getting them to fit really is that I have to raise the floor of the box so high that it removes 1/3rd of the mounting depth! lol. I was told to allow 3" from the mounting depth outward for the RE SX 10s so they wouldent bottom out, otherwise the box would have held them fine with 1 1/2" high bottom.

Lurius
08-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Toys...gah.. lol. I bought a Ryobi speed saw lol. I already have the battery for the system its a part of and.. well. yea. new toy. Its pretty much a rotozip, but cheaper, and cordless :D .. It also came with its own circular cutting guide lol, the rotozip dosent and the guide cost 18$, half the price of this whole tool heh.

Anyways, im going to make this **** design work lol More pics will ensue!

-Lurius

LeofromtheH
08-09-2006, 05:55 PM
could u pm me more of the design? i've got a 98 silverado and was looking into making a similar box

fox_forma
08-09-2006, 06:22 PM
have you pulled up the insullation under the carpet where the box is going to be mounted? I know that can give a little extra room. Where did you cut your tabs at? I cut mine a little lower than the first hole from the bottom, basically right before where the metal gets thicker. I have no problems latching and unlatching but recently it hasnt been locking down

Lurius
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
could u pm me more of the design? i've got a 98 silverado and was looking into making a similar box

I'll have to clean up the design a bit, but remember, that the 98 model and the very early 99 models(OBS 99 models) have a different setup than the NBS trucks. It will have to be adapted to fit properly as the heights and depths as well as the center hump will be different in our trucks. I'll clean it up and send it if you can give me an email address to send the file to, i'll send the sketchup file, much easier that way.

have you pulled up the insullation under the carpet where the box is going to be mounted? I know that can give a little extra room. Where did you cut your tabs at? I cut mine a little lower than the first hole from the bottom, basically right before where the metal gets thicker. I have no problems latching and unlatching but recently it hasnt been locking down

I havent pulled the insulation yet, im still in need of another 30 sq foot or so to give me two layers on the floor(none installed there yet, then im going to coat it in edead v3 and now that you mention it, it might be a good idea to replace that grey insulation with some thinner foam stuff.

As for the bracket: http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/205361.jpg

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-09-2006, 07:14 PM
wow my bracket has a decent amount more on it then yours in the pic. Maybe a cm little less.......

Lurius
08-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Aye, the guy whos I judged my cutting by but it off at the first circle lol, so I just moved it down a bit and cut there.

-Lurius

Lurius
08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Haha, my first attempt at cutting out a ring lol.

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243811.jpg

I need some practice, but I only need two rings and two solid circle luckily!

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-09-2006, 11:03 PM
doesnt look all that bad, i have surely done worse, what kind of blade you using

Lurius
08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Its a sabersaw bit for rotozip style saws. I need a compass lol.

-Lurius

Im so going to use the jigsaw from now on. Jigsaws FTW.

-Lurius

Lurius
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
More wasted money.... Dont anyone buy a "saw guide" made to cut circles with a jigsaw(lowes dosent have a compass, so this was next best thing). its total junk. It cuts circles, but only while angling the jigsaw blade in a bad way, cant cut GOOD circles, but it burns up blades like no other.

I ended up having to take a drill and a cheap 2$ yardstick and making my own circle tracing thing.. Works good, way better than this 8$ piece of junk... Bah.

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-10-2006, 06:47 PM
you could of used a piece of string and a pencil to make your circle. i guess you got it figured out now though

Lurius
08-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I got it down now, osme of the cuts are a little rough, but im going to clamp the rings together and use a belt sander to make them match on the outside.. the insides dont need any work really. I got them all cut out, should be sanding them once its cooler outside(we have 102+ weather all week down here, and not much wind!). I picked up another 4x8 panel of 3/4" as well to make the tops, back, and front of the box, might cut them out tonight as well. Onces its all assembled im going to go to a shp that sells the sub and see if they fit as a final check in clearance, though I dont think ill have any problems. Smooth sailing from here =)

-Lurius

Lurius
08-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Almost forgot pics:

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243887.jpg

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243888.jpg

And I got these in today from the robot underground =D
Bought 3 incase I **** up lol

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243889.jpg

-Lurius

Lurius
08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
More:
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243907.jpg

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243908.jpg

Screws countersunk. These pieces are going to help increase the mounting depth a bit more, yay!

-Lurius

PS: checked and i'll have about 7 1/8" mounting depth at the lowest point, and around 8 1/2 at the highest.. plenty of room to fit those SXs hehehe!

Lurius
08-11-2006, 08:42 PM
I finished all the cuts now except the holes on the top and bottom of the box, but those are going to wait until I get some more clamps in the mail.

-Lurius

PS:

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243955.jpg

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/243956.jpg

Lurius
08-14-2006, 04:56 PM
The clamps are in! 36" long, might work more on the box tonight if I dont start this new contract job early.

-Lurius

bri487
08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
i have had downfiring setups in my truck, lots of them actually. seat is lifted a little. now i have two 10"s upfring ported. sounds great. oh, and i have the same truck you do. mine is an 05 silverado ext cab 4x4.

Lurius
08-14-2006, 06:06 PM
How many cubes did you end up with in the ported box? I dont see many ported ext cab boxes that fit under the seats.

Also, I guy some more holes cut today, yay! I dont start work till tommorow so I can work all day/night on this box, should get some more of it put together with any luck!

-Lurius

bri487
08-14-2006, 07:34 PM
How many cubes did you end up with in the ported box? I dont see many ported ext cab boxes that fit under the seats.

Also, I guy some more holes cut today, yay! I dont start work till tommorow so I can work all day/night on this box, should get some more of it put together with any luck!

-Lurius

dont even know the exact specs of the box. it was a trail and error thing, originally was going to be a single woofer, and ended up trying two just for the heck of it. it worked and it sounds awesome. flexes the roof with two tens.

Lurius
08-14-2006, 09:07 PM
dont even know the exact specs of the box. it was a trail and error thing, originally was going to be a single woofer, and ended up trying two just for the heck of it. it worked and it sounds awesome. flexes the roof with two tens.

Awesome. Im hoping to get a little flex out of these subs ;)

Once the box is done though im going to take it to make sure they will fit before screwing those "dishes" on the top. I might ahve to increase them a little larger, we'll see.

Lurius
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Update: The clamps are working great, even though they are the cheapest ones ive been able to find lol(21~$ shipped on ebay for 4). I should have the entire bottom assembly complete tonight. That includes the two sides, center hump, "floor" with holes for subs. Im just waiting on more glue to dry for a couple hours before I screw it together and move on!

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/244197.jpg

All thats left after tonight will be the front, back, and the top! I dont know wether I will have it sprayed in bedliner or carpeted... I dont want to mess with carpet heh.

-Lurius

Lurius
08-15-2006, 06:44 PM
oh geez... anyone else notice what I did wrong in that last photo?... I made two identical pieces..... lol. I had to rip the end piece off of one and flip it around lol. Its all good now and re-gluing now.. I also attached the center hump to it all, so once its all dry it should just be the front, back, and lid left to do, and those are all really simple =)

-Lurius

Johnny Drama
08-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Looking good my man :) You going to have it done for the show this weekend? tbp.20m.com
I'll actually be there this time.

Lurius
08-15-2006, 07:12 PM
I'll likely have it done, but cant afford the subs yet lol. The amp is a whole nother story.. im looking to have it loaded and with a new amp by october rofl. Unless I can get a job, then sooner!

Oh, and as for hearing the speakers.. I think the VCs burned up in the drivers side, it crackles a bit on some highs =( .. I have had nothing but trouble with speakers in that door! And to top it off, the alternator whine is back worse than ever! wtf? no reason for it to be back.

In any case, i'll be replacign the mids or the entire speaker setup sometime and replacing the amp that powers the speakers, so i'll fix whatever problem im having then.

-Lurius

Johnny Drama
08-15-2006, 09:05 PM
I'll likely have it done, but cant afford the subs yet lol. The amp is a whole nother story.. im looking to have it loaded and with a new amp by october rofl. Unless I can get a job, then sooner!

Oh, and as for hearing the speakers.. I think the VCs burned up in the drivers side, it crackles a bit on some highs =( .. I have had nothing but trouble with speakers in that door! And to top it off, the alternator whine is back worse than ever! wtf? no reason for it to be back.

In any case, i'll be replacign the mids or the entire speaker setup sometime and replacing the amp that powers the speakers, so i'll fix whatever problem im having then.

-Lurius

That ***** man. Bring it by this weekend and I'll try and troubleshoot for you.

Lurius
08-15-2006, 09:11 PM
That ***** man. Bring it by this weekend and I'll try and troubleshoot for you.

I'll try to stop by this weekend, but no promises. a 3 day job I got keeps getting pushed further and further back.. SHOULD have started today, might start tommorow. I also want to get these headers installed hehe.

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I'll try to stop by this weekend, but no promises. a 3 day job I got keeps getting pushed further and further back.. SHOULD have started today, might start tommorow. I also want to get these headers installed hehe.

-Lurius

looking like you have it coming along pretty good. Are you making it two seperate boxes or going to make it into one solid box when done?

Off Topic: Dont forget when you get your headers installed to have you PCM Tuned properly for them!!! I would also suggest you do a 160 t-stat so you can bump the timing as well. Makes a world of difference

Lurius
08-15-2006, 11:09 PM
looking like you have it coming along pretty good. Are you making it two seperate boxes or going to make it into one solid box when done?

Off Topic: Dont forget when you get your headers installed to have you PCM Tuned properly for them!!! I would also suggest you do a 160 t-stat so you can bump the timing as well. Makes a world of difference

Its one solid box, but I MAY put a board in the middle to seperate the chambers.. im considering leaving it all as one large 2 sub enclosure.. will be easier that way, and I plan on having 2 subs in it lol, so why not?

As for the headers: New tune is on the way from Charlie Wheatley(awesome guy), also deleted rear 02 sensors incase I have to run w/o cats for a while(new Y pipe dosent have enough room, having to be creative on mounting of cats). Already got the 160 stat installed hehe =)

Im hoping to see some improvements over the HP thats listed in sig. Those #'s are just with intake, cutout, and a Wait4Me tune. The tune I got from Charlie Wheatley was much better running, and the Wait4Me barely had advanced the timing compared to the new tune. The update is advancing it a little more as well.

-Lurius

PS: We actually have the same wheels, cept mine are 20's and not mounted to the truck yet lol. No job=No tires.

Lurius
08-16-2006, 12:10 AM
One more pic for the night:

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/244227.jpg

The wood filler is to fill in the damaged wood, from where I had it mounted wrong lol., will sand it down and hopefully be covering the whole thing in bedliner. Finally starting to look like a box!

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
good stuff keep on posting progress pics....

I got a W4M tune as well and he didnt bump the timing much but i finally got a hold of him and told him he really needed to up it some more so he did and now its a new truck, just couldnt pass up the $150 for a spare PCM and unlimited updates. I'm trying to get my logging software so i can really see where i stand

Lurius
08-17-2006, 12:54 AM
good stuff keep on posting progress pics....

I got a W4M tune as well and he didnt bump the timing much but i finally got a hold of him and told him he really needed to up it some more so he did and now its a new truck, just couldnt pass up the $150 for a spare PCM and unlimited updates. I'm trying to get my logging software so i can really see where i stand

Yea, I did the same thing, 150$ for the tune and PCM. Even though I ended up with a different tuner its useful having 2 PCMs, no downtime, and they are both set up for my crankshaft, so no relearns again lol.

I'll have more updates within a couple days.. Took on a temporary job doing drive testing with cingular.. ugh, terrible stuff.. easy, simple, but I drove over 12 hours today.. My whole body is stiff! If highway driving can strain your body, let anyone who says motor sports are really sports think twice! On a positive note: Ordered my ORY and new GM gaskets(I heard that the ones that come with the headers are cheap). I need to order some header bolts as well, some locking ones, I dont want to have to retighten them.

Bleh.. driving is fun, but im burned out! and im only half done! I have to go to like 15 spots in Dallas tommrow, each spot has 3 different spots within it! :bawling:

-Lurius

Lurius
08-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Might work on the box tommorow.. Jobs done(woohoo!), 412$ woo, bill paying money!

-Lurius

Lurius
08-18-2006, 05:23 PM
Sweet. Got some new power wire in the mail today. Bought a 9 foot section of kicker 1/0 off ebay to upgrade my big 3 from 4 to 1/0. Going to order the full kicker wiring kit soon, but waiting until I get the rest of the stuff. I want to install and deaden all at once rather than having to rip everything out 3 times.. ****, this wire is FLEXABLE! You could fend off a horde of monkeys with a few feet of this stuff. I have limited experience with wiring, but this stuff is much more flexable than my Monster cable 4 gauge! Its heavy too, and the strand count is 4704.. Not as good as the Knu stuff, but more than enough for what i'll be pulling.

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-18-2006, 07:45 PM
how are you going to run the wires back to the amp? I have seen many go through the fire walls on trucks like ours but there is an access hole under the driver side carpet in front of the seat that will let you run it back and fits perfectly in the rails under the pop up plastic thingy that runs towards the back. I wasnt sure if you already ran you stuff back or not and I didnt feel like reading all the pages again so if you didnt run it yet there ya go

bri487
08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
how are you going to run the wires back to the amp? I have seen many go through the fire walls on trucks like ours but there is an access hole under the driver side carpet in front of the seat that will let you run it back and fits perfectly in the rails under the pop up plastic thingy that runs towards the back. I wasnt sure if you already ran you stuff back or not and I didnt feel like reading all the pages again so if you didnt run it yet there ya go

thats how mine is ran. the hole i think had to be slightly enlarged for 1/0 though.

Lurius
08-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I actually have a run of 4ga through there. I dident know about the preexisting hole so I just took out a bit and drilled and gromet'd the hole. Its located somewhere near the driverside, not far from steering.. I'll re-use that same hole simple because I already have it, and it fits 1/0 perfectly.

I attached the back piece to the box today, but unfortunantly the front piece is a little off.. thats the ONE piece I cut while drinking, go figure. So i'll recut it this weekend if I get a chance and put it on soon! Its lookin like a box now!

-Lurius

04blackgmc
08-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Nice looking truck i also have a w4m tune mines alright but i think it could be better.
btw you pretty much have the same mods as me...

Airaid intake tube with gutted air box with k&n filter
SS truck catback and 3" cutout
w4m tune
corvette servo
Catch can

Lurius
08-21-2006, 01:43 PM
I installed the LT headers yesterday with my dad. Man the passenger side is a *****! We had to remove the AC drier, and a couple other parts just to slide it in. Then we had to recharge AC. The driver side slides right in though, 20 mins tops. Then we had to drop the tranny x-member to put the new Y pipe in and clamp it all up. I still need someone to weld it all up and put flanges on the back of the headers, then it will stop leaking haha.

-Lurius

fox_forma
08-21-2006, 06:02 PM
sweet man, hows the box coming along?

Lurius
08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
sweet man, hows the box coming along?

Havent had a chance to really work on it lately.. way too hot outside. Will have to work one night on it.. All that is left now is to cut the frotn piece again, then mount it and the lid. After that theres just the matter of adding the speaker terminals and i'll be done with it.

-Lurius

ruger
08-21-2006, 11:36 PM
looks good so far.
what kind of subs going in there? :)

LeofromtheH
08-21-2006, 11:39 PM
plans of the box to [email protected] :)

fox_forma
08-22-2006, 04:22 PM
just run wires through the wood and seal it up around them instead of running terminals, easier to do

Lurius
08-22-2006, 09:09 PM
looks good so far.
what kind of subs going in there? :)

thanks. Im planning on two RE SX 10's, assuming they fit.. Should fit, im designing the box around them, and have measured everything time and time again.

plans of the box to [email protected] :)

I'll be posting a link to a download for the file(sketchup5 file) once I get everything finished. Im going to be re-drawing it all because I need to test fit, and clean up the file.

just run wires through the wood and seal it up around them instead of running terminals, easier to do

Would be easier, but I already bought the terminals lol, besides, I have the holesaw, and I like the cleaner look of terminals.. I just have to rock the caulk and seal them up good, I dont think the cheap foam gaskets on back will hold up too well compared to silicone.

and update:
Oh geez... ok, the overall width is 54"... the lid is 54" wide in the plans... I cut it to the inner width lol, so I cut it 1 1/2" too short, now I have to go buy another 21$+tax piece of MDF... I already have about 1 1/2 sheets left over in 4x4 panels, but not quite 54" width... ***** balls. lol.

Well, as for update, I have the back and front on now, just need to cut holes on the lid, mount the "dishes" and then put the lid on and it should be ready to go, with the exception of course of installing the speaker terminals and subwoofers. Got the terminals, but no subs yet lol.

-Lurius

PS: Might have this finished tonight if I get the wood and it gets cool enough. Today was cool though, 99ish, very cloudy!

Lurius
08-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Update: Picked up the wood today, re-cut the piece I needed, cut holes, and installed the dishes on them.. just waiting on wood glue to dry and then I'll mount the lid to the box. Will probobly install the terminals in a little while.

Pics: http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245001.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245000.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/244999.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/244998.jpg

Anyways once im all cleaned up im going to go apply at Vandergriff Chevrolet, either in parts dept(aftermarket accessories as well) or sales.

-Lurius

PS: it isnt pretty, but its going to sound good =)

vetkilr
08-23-2006, 03:18 PM
terminals ***** just drill some small holes and use silicon.

Lurius
08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
I like terminals =(... Going to be sealing them up nice with liquid nail anyways, so I dont think i'll have any problems.

-Lurius

killahbean
08-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I like terminals =(... Going to be sealing them up nice with liquid nail anyways, so I dont think i'll have any problems.

-Lurius

you wont have any problems using terminals.....Nothing wrong with using them....

Mike yayo
08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Why dont people like terminals, i dont have em but i think they look clean.

Lurius
08-24-2006, 12:58 AM
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245128.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245127.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245126.jpg

Well, its complete, minus being coated in bedliner and installing the speaker terminals, and a test fit in my truck. I need to clean out back seats floor and remove current box to check. Might just check in my dad's truck.. his floor = empty.

-Lurius

Lurius
08-24-2006, 01:00 AM
Why dont people like terminals, i dont have em but i think they look clean.

I dont know, I like them too, they do look cleaner. I guess some people think they dont seal well? Or maybe they are too cheap to buy terminals lol. Mine have the spring loaded metal push down cylinders like a lot of subwoofers, nifty stuff.

-Lurius

Lurius
08-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Bah, a bitter sweet victory. the box fits, though its a little too tall, and theres nothing I can really do to remedy it. Though this only means the backs eat passengers will be less comfortable.

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245152.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/245153.jpg

I designed it so it would stick a little further out, that 1" gives me a little more volume inside the box. Though I hadent planned to have those dishes, I had to put them in the plans when I raised the floor higher for the excursion of the subs. The funky symbols and numbers on the 'dishes' are just so I could line up the pieces when I was gluing them lol.

-Lurius

Im going to see what I can do to possibly adjust the seat angle better..

Johnny Drama
08-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Question...Where is the bass going to go? The bottom of the box is on all sides of the subs. Leaving little to no room for the air to escape.

Lurius
08-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Question...Where is the bass going to go? The bottom of the box is on all sides of the subs. Leaving little to no room for the air to escape.

I actually just got done trimming it a little hehe, should solve for that problem. Theres a small ridge just behidn the front of the box, I had to trim to allow for it, sits a little better now, also trimmed the back of the box a little near the center hump area to fit a little nicer and also to allow air flow. If I have to I can cut the entire center walls out. They are really only there to help connect everything, but theres 3" of wall there not being used now that its all screwed and glued together. We'll see.. It would be a perfect fit it not for those **** dishes I had to add and the high floor of the box. So for most other subs out there it is great, but trying to fit two SX's is a *****!

And more fun news.. Just got my paycheck for doing a contract job, so off to the bank, then im going to buy some food and pay some bills!

-Lurius

EDIT: Also for air flow donw there, the center hump is 3/4" higher off of the actual hump, so I can trim the center walls, then have plenty of air flow there.

fox_forma
09-04-2006, 09:10 PM
update?

Lurius
09-06-2006, 09:55 PM
update?

No updates, sorry. Its actually sitting in the garage now. I started a new job and i'll be working from either 6-3:30 or if I get put on night shift from like 3:30 to 1:45am.. Might not have a lot of time to work on this anymore, not till weekends anyways. I will have sundays off and every 3rd saturday off. Though good news is the amp and subs will be ordered sooner! Yay.

Small update on the vehicle its all going in I guess:
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/246396.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/Lurius/246397.jpg

Will be running the rest of the wiring and stuff soon, just cant do much more tonight, too tired =(

Anyways, I may be going with a different sub amp than planned.. was thinking of the Massive Audio P1500.1, but have changed mind I think.

-Lurius

AzzKicker
09-07-2006, 11:36 PM
That looks like it doesnt even come close to fitting lol.

bri487
09-08-2006, 01:08 AM
the box needs to be cut out on the backside facing the rear wall. and why cant you make a spacer to fit under the seat brackets? dont answer that, you can so do it.

bri487
09-08-2006, 01:17 AM
way old box. two treo ssi 10"s sealed. even missing one amp, broken JL 500/1, imagine that.
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1566/oldboxtj7.jpg

newer setup. two dd 2510's ported, bottom fiberglassed, zapco 1100.1dc
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/3563/1040424imgzw9.jpg

Lurius
09-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Still no updates for the audio unfortunantly. New job is paying good enough, but im trying to wrap up some other stuff, like getting new tires so I can put my 20s on, and an alarm(lol, should be higher on my priority list!). I just bought a wet nitrous kit and am buying a tonneau this week as well, should be a bit more fun hehe.

-Lurius