PDA

View Full Version : Pulling axles from a FWD...HELP

SwaveY
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
What the ****? Alright this a 99 dodge avenger... but it would be the same on a 2nd gen eclipse, talon, etc. How the hell do i get the axle off of the tranny? This is the only setback i have from pulling the tranny out, i have EVERYTHING off of it except the main bolts, hell i even have half of them off already and held up with an engine hoist. I cut the clamps and pulled the boot out of place like the book says to, but there is nothing under the boot but a mess of old grease that i cant see through. Does it pull straight out now? That means i would have to completely disassemble the front driver rotor and everything connected right? What about the passenger side? its the same thing only longer correct? I havent pulled the boot off of the passenger side yet because i was getting frustrated and got **** in my eyes so i quit. Pictures always help right?

Here...this is the boot im talking about...
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8451/gahhhhhhhhhtg0.th.jpg (http://img119.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gahhhhhhhhhtg0.jpg)

See where it is? your upside under my car...thats the bottom of my rotor to your left...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2015/grahhhlo2.th.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grahhhlo2.jpg)

davidfre21
08-07-2006, 11:54 PM
it should just slide out?

SwaveY
08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
it should just slide out?

Is that a question? that would require me to pull apart everything you see in the 2nd picture right?.... to basically pull the rotor and **** out of the way

davidfre21
08-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Is that a question? that would require me to pull apart everything you see in the 2nd picture right?.... to basically pull the rotor and **** out of the way
yes sir.. Get whatever u need to out of the way so u can pull her out..

CV shafts **** :(

davidfre21
08-08-2006, 12:08 AM
oh yea Be happy u have to pull a rotor.. you could be pulling a drum (wouldnt apply to your type of car but just giving u a worst case senario)

Railrocker
08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Dont you need a puller? Ive changed cv shafts in a an acura and a subaru and we always had a puller. Ive heard a BFH works too!

Edit: I should have read post better srry

SwaveY
08-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Dont you need a puller? Ive changed cv shafts in a an acura and a subaru and we always had a puller. Ive heard a BFH works too!

Edit: I should have read post better srry

Does your edit mean i dont need one? Okay so tomorrow i will have to start tearing it apart then.... if it should pull straight out like your saying it really shouldnt be hard....just a ***** to do. After that, i will take off the main bolts holding the tranny on and hopefully feel very good and accomplished that i pulled my first tranny out of a FWD car in 3 days with no help except you guys right now. Havnt felt so good about a one man team in awhile! Once i pull it ill make sure to post more pictures of the tranny itself...

bikejunkie223
08-08-2006, 01:38 AM
which part are you struggling with? to get it off the trans you get it free from the spindle first by removing the big nut and using a punch to drive it out if it doesn't just fall out. Then when the outside end is loose (the end at the wheel) you just stick a prybar between the trans case and the inner cv joint and pop it free. Sometimes they are stubborn and you have to try and pop it with the axle in different places (turn it) but it's really pretty easy. Hope that helps.

SwaveY
08-08-2006, 03:01 AM
which part are you struggling with? to get it off the trans you get it free from the spindle first by removing the big nut and using a punch to drive it out if it doesn't just fall out. Then when the outside end is loose (the end at the wheel) you just stick a prybar between the trans case and the inner cv joint and pop it free. Sometimes they are stubborn and you have to try and pop it with the axle in different places (turn it) but it's really pretty easy. Hope that helps.

Wait...the big ****er to the right of the boot? The big green one? :crap: i didnt think that was an actual nut... what the hell am i gonna turn that with? and the wheel freespins if i try to turn that... Im confused on what to do now

SwaveY
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
???