PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a TV in my car? Is it practicle?

Triplethreat
08-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I bought a TV a while ago to use with my xbox and for my computer monitor. With soccer conditioning in full force i have no time to play it and doubt i will use it much at all anymore.. Thus, i was wondering if i could mount it in my car.

I have a 2002 Toyota Celica GT so i have very little room to work with and not to mention i have a sunroof, so i cant really do a flipdown deal. But i wast thinking about mounting on the back of my rear seats and then hooking a 360, ps2, and or gamecube to it...

*What i need to know is how much power will i need? Will an continous 800 watt converter be enough?

*Will the TV be damage by the my system if i dont protect it with fiberglass?

*Anyone else have any idea for where i could put it?

The dimensions and specs for my TV can be viewed HERE (http://www.electronics-depot.com/samsung_lnr238w.html)

Thanks a lot!

Triplethreat
08-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone?

AJē06
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
23"... ****! :D

Triplethreat
08-07-2006, 07:37 PM
yah, i know. i think it would be fricken awesome! But i need to know if it's practical..

bikinpunk
08-07-2006, 09:51 PM
In my opinion (since that's what you're looking for) it wouldn't be worth it. I only have a 7" in dash screen and I think that's kind of big. I see kids driving around with 15" flip-down monitors and think it's ridiculous to have in a car. I could see if you had an SUV (actually, anything over 12" to me is just trying to have 'bling' factor), but in a car I think it's extreme overkill. 23" in a car is going to be a lot larger than you think.

Triplethreat
08-07-2006, 09:55 PM
I know how big it is... Im using it right now.. It wouldnt be for use while driving.. It would be for when im parked, i can pop my trunk and play some videogames or watch a movie.. You have no idea how many camping parties i go too. It would be great.. Plus it would look fricken awesome!

bikinpunk
08-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds like you already made up your mind.

I'm just saying, you're issue with mounting it may be more trouble than it's worth. I realize it wouldn't be used for driving. That would be crazy to see you driving down the road with a 23" monitor in your passenger seat, lol.

I dunno, man. Like I said, it seems like overkill, but you could probably keep it in the trunk, wired up, and use it every once in a while by just standing it up.

I see an episode of Pimp My Ride now...

Triplethreat
08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
lol. heck yah! im tryin to figure out where to put it.

thatkidbob
08-08-2006, 01:00 AM
trunk sounds good...

23 inches is just too big to have in the cabin of the car...

Triplethreat
08-08-2006, 09:12 AM
trunk sounds good...

23 inches is just too big to have in the cabin of the car...

Agreed... Im still tryin to come up with a neat idea where to put it...

bikinpunk
08-08-2006, 01:24 PM
"You're only limited by your imagination."

That being said. The trunk might be the best way then. Are you looking to have an install that looks more permanent, or are you willing to settle for an install that looks like it was just put in the trunk to be used now & again?

dbornotdb
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Make a cover for the trunk lid and mount it in there so when it is open... BAM.... 23" of great veiwing.

budahbuddy803
08-08-2006, 08:03 PM
^^^ yeah just cut out some of the trunk lid on the bottom put a mounting bracket there, mount it and there you go