PDA

View Full Version : Why dont most of you guys have rears?

wannabelean
08-06-2006, 08:24 AM
is it because your cars are two door and small? or is it because you have a very good front compos + subwoofer setup?

Thanks

Worlddre
08-06-2006, 08:30 AM
generally speaking rears tend to pull the soundstage toward the back of the car which is never desired...this is not always the case though as if the proper time is taken one can tune such things to not happen

vetkilr
08-06-2006, 08:33 AM
I got a nice rear and it by no way takes away from my huge front setup.

MBrock4u
08-06-2006, 09:04 AM
You know that is a very good question. I think one reason is plain and simple. Money. If you don't spend the money filling the rear, you can focus on putting more money into the front stage, since that is more important in the first place. Also what as stated in the above post. It can take away from the front stage. I on the other hand, love rear fill. I am one that does care about the passengers, because I tend to have alot (commute to work ect...) I like everybody to enjoy my system. I have my system tweked so that the rears enhance not take away from my front stage. Generally speaking though, you can have a fabulous system without the rears at all. It really depends on what you needs are and what you are trying to acomplish with your system. Remember rear fill is not the boogie man if you tweek your system acordingly. Alot of peple on here are not concerned with passengers and want the best sound for them up front. There is nothing wrong with that since they are the ones spending the money and listening to it the most. Like any thing else, sound, speakers, ect.. is subject to your own ears. If you can try it both ways and see what works best for you! :)

CJL
08-06-2006, 09:07 AM
You know that is a very good question. I think one reason is plain and simple. Money. If you don't spend the money filling the rear, you can focus on putting more money into the front stage, since that is more important in the first place. Also what as stated in the above post. It can take away from the front stage. I on the other hand, love rear fill. I am one that does care about the passengers, because I tend to have alot (commute to work ect...) I like everybody to enjoy my system. I have my system tweked so that the rears enhance not take away from my front stage. Generally speaking though, you can have a fabulous system without the rears at all. It really depends on what you needs are and what you are trying to acomplish with your system. Remember rear fill is not the boogie man if you tweek your system acordingly. Alot of peple on here are not concerned with passengers and want the best sound for them up front. There is nothing wrong with that since they are the ones spending the money and listening to it the most. Like any thing else, sound, speakers, ect.. is subject to your own ears. If you can try it both ways and see what works best for you! :)

x2 ;)

thehardknoxlife
08-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I like rear fill also, but yeah it, for the most part, messes with the sound stage. Think of it like this, have you ever been to a concert and heard music coming from behind you?

ngsm13
08-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Rear fill is superfluous.

I literally had some in my vehicle... and flipped a switch turning the power to them on and off... and I nor a few friends could tell the difference. So, out they went.

nG

alphakenny1
08-06-2006, 02:38 PM
as mentioned earlier, pulls the sound stage back and i could care less about my passengers. its my money and so i will do what i please :D.

FoxPro5
08-06-2006, 02:41 PM
I have no rears...but I can get some of I need it :laugh: aaaah I kill myself....wheeew.

I did have rear fill at one time back in the day and ended up blowing the speakers because I ran them off HU power.

bamaboy
08-06-2006, 02:42 PM
ill save the $ for rear speakers and use it to buy something i want

bri487
08-06-2006, 02:51 PM
i have rears in my truck with time delay. when sitting up front you cannot in any way tell that they are back there. and when sitting in the back they blend in with the fronts. having a brand new truck with speakers disconnected in it seems like the truck is incomplete.

lilwheezy7d5
08-06-2006, 02:53 PM
i had to take mine out because the fronts were amped and the rears werent.. and when i turned it up loud... the rears distorted. It sounds better without them anyway. atleast in my setup it does.

Hoodlum007
08-06-2006, 03:09 PM
i have listen to my system with rear fill and without and i like the sound better with rear speakers in, it just has a fuller over all sound that is just my prefrence

klepto
08-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Im planning on putting in rears. I like to be surrounded my sound. The rears, however, will not be as nice as the fronts. I plan on custom fabricating some MDF baffles to fit 6.5's in the front then im just gonna upgrade the back with some comporable 5x7's coaxials to fit the stock holes. Running a 4 channel amp to all 4.

azbass
08-06-2006, 03:50 PM
i have a rear

LoudCrownVic
08-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I have an ***. Proud to have an *** in fact. White boy with an ***. No Hank Hill here.

Eugenics
08-06-2006, 03:57 PM
why dont you search?

a question with a question? yes.

mtdewelf
08-06-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2071020#post2071020
only rear i'll ever need to fill

wesl56
08-06-2006, 04:00 PM
sounds better to me to have rear fill if you're running all stock or crappy speakers, but with a nice comp set up front thats all u need as the fronts are loud enough to "fill" the car by themselves

killahbean
08-06-2006, 04:01 PM
I have a BIG rear!

LoudCrownVic
08-06-2006, 04:02 PM
I like rear fill if fron speakers smaller than 6" are being used... not enough midbass

Abneriel
08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I got a nice rear and it by no way takes away from my huge front setup.
I think mustangs (at leaast SN95s) are set up acoustically so they sound better with the rear fill.

mtdewelf
08-06-2006, 04:16 PM
I think mustangs (at leaast SN95s) are set up acoustically so they sound better with the rear fill.
lol, miss the joke there did we?

the727kid
08-06-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a rear fill, but I need it for bass. I don't have subs yet. Once I finish my doors with 3 components in each side and my subs, I'm sure the rears will be pointless.

2kchevy06civic
08-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Well, having rear fill in my standard cab truck would be pointless. Plus, whenever I get in my parents cars that actually have rear speakers I still bring the stage to the front, lol. I'm just used to it.

klepto
08-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, having rear fill in my standard cab truck would be pointless. Plus, whenever I get in my parents cars that actually have rear speakers I still bring the stage to the front, lol. I'm just used to it.

I drive a rather small hatchback. Are rears pointless for me? I was planning on putting them in, i want a nice full surrounding sound. I care about my passengers...i want my audio to sound great wherever you sit.

Ignatowski
08-06-2006, 05:33 PM
when you go to a concert the music is in front of you
not behind you hense the word "Front Stage"

blackonblacksls
08-06-2006, 05:43 PM
i think cars sound better when they sound the same whereever you sit. my 98 cadillac seville sounded almost exactly the same no matter where in the car you were. front or back left or right side. it always sound the same. when i had coaxs i put them in the factory spots and it kept that same quality. when i bought morel comps at first i just had the front. and it did not seem as loud and i just didnt like it as much. so i say rearfill is great.

90accordman
08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
In my Accord i have rears because they seem to make my whole system sound more whole. In my Mustang the Location for the rears is further back then the sub, so its hard to tell if there are rears or not so i probably should just take them out

blackonblacksls
08-06-2006, 05:48 PM
i like the mustang placement of the rears. or any other kinda car with the speakers firing off the back glass. it seems to give a good amount of loudness throughout the car and even from the oustide.

90accordman
08-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I have a fox body so the 6x9s are on the back behind the tire well and the face one another in the stock location. So with a sub (i have a 06 XXX in there) i cant hear crap from them.

blackonblacksls
08-06-2006, 06:03 PM
well in a car that small they arent as noticeable. i had to take some out for a pretty bassheavy set up once and there really was not that big of a difference.

DC8 Flyer
08-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I think it really depends on the car too. My rear speakers are right behind my head and they really help to center the stage. I tried it without them and it seemed to "empty" behind me. Besides I only paid .99 for the speakers (kicker 6 inch coax) and they sound just fine!

SATX210
08-06-2006, 06:17 PM
is it because your cars are two door and small? or is it because you have a very good front compos + subwoofer setup?

Thanks
because i partied mine off already

Rattlebrain
08-06-2006, 06:20 PM
I am a fat guy and I have a huge rear.

I personally like to be enveloped in the music so rear fill is a must for me. Having said that though, The front is more critical and more time (and money) should be put into its setup. Rear fill is secondary to the front stage.

brypink
08-06-2006, 09:15 PM
I use rear speakers for 5.1...sounds great!!!! I also have a couple of DVD-As and CD's recorded in 5.1...they sound awesome on a 5.1 system. :naughty:

But, for the most part...I turn the rear speakers off for regular 2 channel music. ;)

jacka
08-06-2006, 09:33 PM
My car has components in all 4 doors, came stock like that. Replaced them, rode around for a while, then I disconnected the rear speakers and rode around. Extremely small difference, it was BARELY audible. Did the same while sitting in the backseat and I actually think it sounds better with just the front from both seats.

SQChevy
08-07-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got an extended cab truck that I compete with. It is my daily driver and hasn't had rear speakers for about 2 years. I can't tell much of a difference and before I took out my backseat for subs and amps neither could my passengers. If your front stage is done right and well powered, you should have no trouble having a great system that will envelope you in sound without rear speakers. When I compete you actually can't use speakers past the b pillars.

FoxPro5
08-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Keep in mind that in most cars the rear speakers are actually closer to your ears than the fronts. If you have really awesome T/A abilities you can probably get it done. BUT if you can locate the sound coming from behind you, it totally ruins stereo sound. So if properly set up...meaning that you can't hear the rear speakers at all....what is the point of having them??

The exception would be that you REALLY know what you are doing...as in Richard Clark's/Speakerwork's Grand National: http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/page5.php

Johnny Drama
08-07-2006, 02:21 PM
<---Reg cab truck, no point.